It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A post defending the evil that is "FACEBOOK" Dam dam daaaaammmmmmm...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Siris
I have to disagree with the original poster, I'm a tech head I'll try and keep this simple, Facebook is used as a tool by many fraudsters and hackers as a way of gaining pieces of your personal information, when they have enough details (all they really need is your name and address or postcode) from this they can get the rest no problems online in just a few clicks, they sell your details to companies who cold call you and in turn those companies sell your details on again like a big old pyramid scheme, and that's if you're lucky. With enough personal info they can become you and spend your money, do you know how easy it is to gain control of a Facebook account? without giving too much detail all you really need to do is make a few fake accounts up.

Used correctly it can be safe, no personal info other than your name and keep your profile private to everyone but those you chose.

Can you provide links to your claims please?

I ask because if I can see actual proof of this I will reconsider my membership.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Here you go sir link here

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Here you go sir link here

Thank you for your prompt resposnse.

Are any of these methods any different to hacking say for an example an email address?

Are these methods easy against someone that has a basic understanding of internet security?

How would you say facebook is any more dangerous than email, twitter or online forums?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Facebook is the easiest, no hack involved just make 3 fake profiles up and have them agree you are that person you wish to be .

No security can defend against it as its a Facebook implemented thing they would have to stop this method being used at all to recover your account.

The other methods of social media and email require your PC to respond to something being sent to it so would require a hacker to be in command of your PC or phone device.

Hopefully this has enlightened you in to making your own decision to use it or not, on the other hand just don't enter any phone numbers, passwords or postcodes/zipcodes in anything you post there this way there's nothing to use against you and you can relax

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Facebook is the easiest, no hack involved just make 3 fake profiles up and have them agree you are that person you wish to be .

No security can defend against it as its a Facebook implemented thing they would have to stop this method being used at all to recover your account.

The other methods of social media and email require your PC to respond to something being sent to it so would require a hacker to be in command of your PC or phone device.

Hopefully this has enlightened you in to making your own decision to use it or not, on the other hand just do
n't enter any phone numbers, passwords or postcodes/zipcodes in anything you post there this way there's nothing to use against you and you can relax

thank you but do you have any real and factual evidence as to how or why facebook has lead to problems for the average user?

Can you actually show me how it causes real life problems and how it is worse than other online activities?

As stated a basic understanding of online security is needed but all I ever seem to hear is old wives tales and urban ledgends regarding this.

TYIA

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

At first it was fun because it was new and was reconnecting with lost friends.
But then it became the Frankenstein i mentioned earlier. Then when i tried to remove myself from it,
it came to light how this company does not want to lose my information and made it very difficult to delete my account.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: macenroe82
a reply to: nonspecific

At first it was fun because it was new and was reconnecting with lost friends.
But then it became the Frankenstein i mentioned earlier. Then when i tried to remove myself from it,
it came to light how this company does not want to lose my information and made it very difficult to delete my account.

It is all down to the terms and conditions you agree with when you sign up.

If you do not agree you should not sign up.

Did you think they did it so you could benifit from there service with no gain to themselves?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Here's some raw numbers as proof of it happening HERE

It is currently the easiest social media site to hack, is it any worse than the others? No. They can all be used in the same manner to gain personal details and arrange meetings.

I can't phisicaly show you, but the typical synario goes like this, criminal uses 1 of many hacks to gain control of your account, he checks your posts and you've given your address out in a personal msg so he now has your name and home address from there the postcode is easy to get. He then applies for 20 credit cards in your name and goes to your town and redirects your mail via the post office to a mail box and he picks up all his 20 new credit cards in your name and spends 50 thousand pounds worth of debt. He cancels the mailbox at that point and the bills come to your door, but you didn't even know you were hacked til the bills came in. Now how do you prove you were hacked? You cannot, as you have no idea about the mailbox or that you even had this issue. None of this can happen without the lure of social media, before this the hacker had to work for his money and actually write code to take control of your machine. Now they don't even need you to have a pc or any skill or time to do it

Hopefully this is helpful, physically proof of a virtual crime is hard to produce but a little investigation in to hack reports aren't hard to find
edit on 24-6-2015 by Siris because: Grammar corection

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Here's some raw numbers as proof of it happening HERE

It is currently the easiest social media site to hack, is it any worse than the others? No. They can all be used in the same manner to gain personal details and arrange meetings.

I can't phisicaly show you, but the typical synario goes like this, criminal uses 1 of many hacks to gain control of your account, he checks your posts and you've given your address out in a personal msg so he now has your name and home address from there the postcode is easy to get. He then applies for 20 credit cards in your name and goes to your town and redirects your mail via the post office to a mail box and he picks up all his 20 new credit cards in your name and spends 50 thousand pounds worth of debt. He cancels the mailbox at that point and the bills come to your door, but you didn't even know you were hacked til the bills came in. Now how do you prove you were hacked? You cannot, as you have no idea about the mailbox or that you even had this issue. None of this can happen without the lure of social media, before this the hacker had to work for his money and actually write code to take control of your machine. Now they don't even need youfind..have a pc or any skill or time to do it

Hopefully this is helpful, physically proof of a virtual crime is hard to produce but a little investigation in to hack reports aren't hard to find

Interesting stuff but just a blog, I am not an idiot by the way I just need something more than speculation and rumour.

Here's an interesting thing to think about. At present I have about 100 friends on facebook, they all have lets say 100 friends of facebook who also have 100 hundred.......

As someone who is concerned I would expect either you or I to have at least one real story about this?

Or at least one actual link to a story about how it all went wrong and I do not mean a blog, I am talking about a real news story where someone did nothing wrong and was well and truley done over...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Here you go a link to msm HERE I think you'll agree these crimes are as bad as it gets everything from I'd theft to murder.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Here you go a link to msm HERE I think you'll agree these crimes are as bad as it gets everything from I'd theft to murder.

I am going to say no again here.

This MSN article pulls togeter all of the stories of people that have used facebook as opposed to Facebook itself causing problems.

This is not a problem with facebook but a problem with people, would you care to have another go or just give in now?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Lol Facebook can't cause problems on its own its software on a server, unless used by people who find the problems. all stories will involve people.

edit on 24-6-2015 by Siris because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Lol Facebook can't cause problems on its own its software on a server, unless used by people who find the problems. all stories will involve people.

So if forced to make a choice would you choose to say that facebook was bad or that people are idiots?

You can take as long as you like on this one.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
People are idiots, I didn't even have to think about it, the older I get the more certain of this I am lol

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

People are idiots, I didn't even have to think about it, the older I get the more certain of this I am lol

So your answer to the question would be?

I agree that people would think differently to you by the way was just looking for an actual answer to a question

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Lol diversity is what makes the world tick I'm all for it, only a sith deals in absolutes, badoom tshhh

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join