It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with all the sudden attacks on the South?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Now, before someone calls me a racist or supporting slavery, read my post history and avoid making yourself look foolish.
Is it just me or has the media [ and quite a few people ] declared war on being Southern? All of a sudden, there are calls to do away with the Confederate flag and anything connected to the South. They want to start renaming public parks, streets, remove statues and even remove the words "Confederate Memorial" ...from a Confederate memorial. You want to bitch about inaccurate history books in our schools? You're about to see it on a grand scale. Just give it a few years and your grandchildren won't know the Civil War even happened. So, let's pretend none of it happened. Let's hide it. Don't talk about it. Let's get rid of it all. The Confederate flag, the street names, the statues, the memorials, All Of It. Hide our shame and it will go away. Let's make some Grand Empty Gestures, that do nothing, but look like we're doing something.
People want to blame a piece of cloth, when it's an idea that's the trouble.. We are not going to solve racism by getting rid of a flag, anymore than we stopped a war by burning one. The New York Times even has an article saying that Southern food is undignified. lol. undignified. Sorry, we don't eat fried chicken with our pinky stuck out far enough. ah, lmao.
Everyone seems to be looking for something to blame for their own shortcomings. Go ahead, if that'll make you feel better. If you're naive enough to think it will work. Better yet, let's blame anything Southern. I mean, there are no racists in New York, or Maine or Los Angeles, right? It's not like it's a nation wide problem, it's just in the South. Keep telling yourself that. Jump on that anti South bandwagon and Ride It because it's the In thing to do. Because it's gonna make you feel good. We are not going to change anything by getting rid of symbols. We have to change the minds that use those things as a symbol.
Most don't look at the Confederate flag as representing slavery anyway, they see it as a sign of independence and a will to fight back, not be pushed around. Many people around the world see the U.S flag as a symbol of oppression, war and representing a people that are backwards, unsophisticated and uncaring of the rest of the planet. Shall we get rid of it? Will that stop what's going on or make up for what has happened? No?
Well, let's do it anyway. It'll pacify the angry ones and make us feel good, like we've done something. We can sit back and say to ourselves "Yep, fixed it" and them turn a blind eye to whatever happens next. I mean, empty gesture or not, we got rid of a symbol and That Fixed Everything.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
I think you've coined the phrase, the war on the South. You should let Fox news know it belongs to you.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
i unno.
im kind of enjoying seeing people get all bunged up that confederate flags are being pulled off gov buildings and pulled from shelves.
its the flavor of the day.
any time something happens, this is the reaction.
ban it. take it down. stop selling it. then when the next thing happens it will be forgotten.

i know that some people dont identify the flag as a racist symbol.
the other side of that is some do.

someone posted quotes yesterday from the guy that designed the confederate flag. talking about how its the white mans flag and a few other things.

i grew up in florida and saw a lot of the confederate stuff when i was growing up. i never paid it any attention though.

i am getting a kick out of people getting uptight that the flag is being removed.....
kind of makes me chuckle

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have always loved visiting the south, they are some of the most friendly people in the nation. The issue with the flag is similar to gun control every time a shooting occurs. We have to put our blame on something tangible. We know gun control will not stop criminals from shooting people. Just like banning the flag will not stop racism. But, the powers that be can point to an object now and say, "see, see what we got done!"

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

I could care less about the flag itself, it's the whole idea that taking it down is going to solve anything. If I take away your soap, will you stop wanting to be clean? That flag may be a symbol of oppression to some, but is getting rid of it going to get rid of those feelings? Or just put a band aid on a pumping artery?
edit on 24-6-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
mic.com...

as a people we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race.

then he goes on to mention the white mans flag.

so, yeah

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: warpig69

Thank God someone actually got the point. Expecting the White Guilt Gang to show up any minute.
2nd

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

its a nice step.
it does represent oppression to some...a lot actually

i dont think it needs to be flown from gov buildings.
stores can pull merchandise whenever they want...

people can fly the flag at their homes and wear their confederate trucker hats.
so, what exactly is the problem?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
History is for books and memory. Getting rid of flags and the name confederate from public places won't nullify the history taught in schools. It's an integral part of your history cirriculum( unless I've been misled). I personally don't want to be reminded of all the bad that happened in Britain's history on every street corner. To me it seems like they are trying to unite america by denying the divide. Maybe just me.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Exactly. Why would you have a flag of the losing side on a government building anyhow?.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

You should put that in quotes, to show it's from an article, like this :

as a people we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race.

Otherwise, people will think you are saying it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

i really dont know.
southern pride maybe.
i dont have an answer for that.

the dude that designed the flag at the very least had racist musings/opinions. we know this.
that flag is/was used as a racist symbol by quite a lot of people.

i dont get why people are so upset about it.

its not like people are coming to take away their precious flag and bumper sticker.
they can still fly it all day long.

theyre mad cause wal mart pulled it off the shelves.

i dont get it

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

the dude that designed the flag at the very least had racist musings/opinions. we know this.

Oh, not just a little. He thought the white man owned the world and everything and everyone on it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Exactly. Why would you have a flag of the losing side on a government building anyhow?.

because they are UNITED States

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: haven123

i dont understand
i mean last time i checked there was a united states flag...
still is i think

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Couple things.
One the race is on to see who is the least racist candidate. Its a who can one up the other.

Two the fact the flags, statues, are still there in the first place is a problem. UT for instance just had their Jeff Davis statues vandalized. (ironically it was probably Mexicans cleaning it off)
We shouldn't be celebrating the confederacy it should be in museums. If the flag in sc was inside the capital in a historical setting that would be fine but that's not what these things are.

Do you go to Germany and see Hitler statues in the public square? What about swastikas flying over state capitals. No you don't.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

What's with all the sudden attacks on the South?

Everyone seems to be looking for something to blame for their own shortcomings.

( or debtors vs. non/less-debtors? )

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

i agree.
leave it to the museums and history books.
and natty light coozies.

does not need to be flown out in public or gov areas

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: warpig69

Thank God someone actually got the point. Expecting the White Guilt Gang to show up any minute.
2nd

Have you read the constitution of the confederacy? The confederate flag represents those ideas. Just like the swastika in Germany represents the ss.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'm suddenly quite hungry for some extremely undignified gumbo, with a side of unruly rice and a glass of uncouth sweet tea.
The media idiots are just doing what they always do. Taking the latest unfounded cause and running it down the track until it dies or they find something newer to cry about (Dolenzal, anyone?)
It's just another chance for them to pander to special interests and justify their existence.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join