It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Prepares Its 172,000 Civilian Ships for War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Chinese civilian shipbuilders have to ensure that their vessels can be used by the PLAN during times of ‘crisis’.

“The implementation of this military standards for civilian ships makes it possible for China to turn the great potential of its civilian ships quickly into military strength for national defense and will considerably enhance the PLA’s strategic projection capability and maritime support capability,”

The Diplomat

Sure does seem like China is preparing itself more and more for an eventual conflict.

And I say "eventual" on purpose. China is a nation with ambitious goals, and wishes to expand. The U.S. has too many "assets" in the area for us to not run into each other.

What happens when a speeding car his a brick wall? No one comes out looking good.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117
Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be in good hands with bush, or Clinton, or trump.
Nothing to worry about.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

That's either a really smart move or a really dumb one depending on how things pan out.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
China is already a;ways ready fpr war. This boat thing is just them being practical, functional and meticulous. Nothing to worry about. It's more a defence matter.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Not unlike the U.S.'s conscription of civilian airlines in times of need. That's more than a few airframes....

Jet aircraft vs. civilian ships. Which one moves personnel faster?.....

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Interesting article. It is the only way for them to have a Navy with any size at a moments notice. Preparedness, fighting capabilities, defensive capabilities....those are the real questions for a civilian deep water navy. Interesting concept, full of disaster if they can't run a blockade or defend against incoming threats. I'd be interested in seeing HOW they get these classes of ships prepared for combat.

The article says 172,000 in the title but in the body it say Newly Constructed.......

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
US Navy and Air Force flyers have a term for that .

" Target rich environment "

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Not unlike the U.S.'s conscription of civilian airlines in times of need. That's more than a few airframes....

That is called the civilian reserve air fleet . It is a program whereby the federal government land air carriers money to purchase planes and they are conditionally required to provide service in time of emergency or war .

The last time it was activated I believe was the first gulf war.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I wonder if they thought of the consequences of giving they're civilian fleet operators war-capable ships... Party Officials might want to remember why they don't allow their historically-oppressed citizenry the right to bear arms.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This isn't unusual - in the UK, we have the Defence of the Realm Act which basically (among other things) gives the Government the right to commandeer civilian vessels. The RoRo (Roll On-Roll Off) Ferries used for cross channel services, for example, have to built with a 6 inch draft which basically ensures they are capable of being used as amphibious assault ships able to deploy troops and tanks onto beachheads.

I'm sure other nations have similar set ups.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

This would be Chinas stop gap measure to account for their lack of force projection ability. Navy ships and aircraft are only as effective if they have ground troops to secure and hold territory.

Its one of the main reason Taiwan is still independent. Sure china could try and level the country with missiles and airstrikes but without the ability to land troops in sufficient numbers to gain a bridgehead the actions are a waste.

edit on 23-6-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So if China puts the best suffice to air missiles on a civilian ship.
the Jet aircraft has nothing to worry about???
thats the point of this!

originally posted by: nwtrucker

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

For those interested in the US its called the civil reserve air fleet. Civilian airlines agree to and sign contracts for use of their aircraft in times of emergency when military resources are unable to handle the needed load.

Its broken into 2 sections - airlift capacity for personnel and airlift capacity for equipment to augment us mobility command.

As of 2014 24 carriers and over 500 commercial aircraft are part of the fleet.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I guess they'll be seeing what a LASER does to flesh soon.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I am honestly surprised they are just starting this. It is normal for most nations and has been since WW2. Although it's use is generally in disaster relief. This would be nearly impossible with older ships but, normal for new ones they build. This is a problem with the Chinese military, they like weapons and training for show and forget about the basics. They should have been doing this decades ago. I have also seen where they have been trying to get Army units to spend more time training for combat and less time training for show. And by show I mean, the military puts on shows well choreographed shows where they do all kinds of stunts and such. Great for a show but, worthless in combat They are far from the only country that does this India and Russia do it a lot as well. However if China ever wants to truly take on the West they have a lot of work to do on the basics.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Get lets kick this party off.

Most of American isnt doing anything anyway.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The US will use Japan or South Korea to fund proxy wars with China. It will probably take place in North Korea if it happens or in the waters around Japan. Like this lame dispute over islands at the moment. A taste of things to come.

If/when this New Silk Road takes off I have no idea what the USA's reaction will be. The TPP was just a start.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Yep, all totally normal. We get it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
I guess they'll be seeing what a LASER does to flesh soon.

Yea!!!! WW3! Lets all wave our respective flags!!! Go humanity!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Chinese navy officers train on these civilian ships.
chuckhillscgblog.net...
www.eastasiaforum.org...

They also spy from them.

Every US harbor has been mapped by the chinese navy using these personal running chinese civilian cargo ships.

In the early 1970s the navy started hearing side scan sonar on chinese civilian cargo ships.

A few years later they started hearing mine hunting sonars on chinese cargo ships.

In the early 1970s in navy tasked the Mobile Inshore Undersea Warfare Unit (MIUWU) with monitoring harbors to track what the chinese were up to.
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join