It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman may not wear veil for license

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have expressed my disapproval with the government over this infringement upon freedom of religion but, as many members prophesied, Sultaana Freeman has lost her lawsuit.

Yahoo Story Link

So much for the constitution... *shrugs*

XAOS

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
What???? It isn't against the constitution! It is a photo ID! You can't Identify the person if they have a mask on! If I wanted to get my drivers license photo while wearing a ski mask, and they said I couldn't, is that against the constitution?

Besides, masks impair your vision, which you need for driving, so shouldn't wear it anyways. DUH! How about I just blindfold you, cut two tiny slits in it, let you out on the freeway, then count how many seconds before you crash. Same difference!!!!

Besides, her husband has 8 drivers licenses, all in different names. Think that is suspicious or what?

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It has nothing whatsoever to do with freedom.

They haven't stopped this woman from practicing her religion.
They've stopped her from driving a car.

Big difference.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'm not arguing it anymore. Just posting the link to a story that some in the Religous forum might find intresting.

XAOS

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yes!!! I am so glad she lost her law suit. I mean its just a ID for driving a car, and its not like its your right to drive its a privilage.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Your right, the government should not have the right to infringe on someones religion.

However, driving is NOT a right, but a privaledge. As such, she gets to play by the rules.

If her religion is that important to her, the government should not interfere. And she should not be issued a drivers license.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Everyone is happy because it was a Muslim who lost this lawsuit. Had it been any other person other than a Muslim, people wouldn't be so happy and the media wouldn't be destroying this story with over air-play.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Il67, not true. If a KKK(protestant group, made by WASPs) was told they couldn't wear their bed sheet on their head for their driver license, people would find that great. And protestants are a branch of christianity. Same with the White Knights of Katholic Krictianity.(Catholic KKK)

Or a jew couldn't wear, uh, do they have any groups that cover their face???? But you get the point.

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Id have to agree. besides, as a Muslim woman, what is she doing driving? Thats one of the reasons they dont let women drive in saudi, the veil obstructs the view of traffic. As such, because he viel is a hazard to people around her while driving, she should not wear it. And since a drivers licence is just that, something for driving, a privilage, not a right. Thus, her rights have not been violated.

Now if say it was for something mandatory, like, an id card, then her rights have somewhat been violated. Although her face should be visible for an id card, if its mandatory, then she should be allowed the veil.

If its a face viel, then she really doesnt have to wear it anyway. Muslim women just wear head scarves here. The viel is mainly for middle eastern countries where women cannot be seen at all.

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Everyone is happy because it was a Muslim who lost this lawsuit. Had it been any other person other than a Muslim, people wouldn't be so happy and the media wouldn't be destroying this story with over air-play.

Not true.
If she truly were a Muslim she would have given up her right to drive instead of going to court.
Nobody should test their faith against a political system.

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Good job JTL. You just compared Islam to the KKK...

XAOS

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
No, I compared Islam to a branch of Christianity.

But yeah, kinda I guess a comparision. In this country anyways. Where if you don't consume, conform, obey, you are bad. So the ones who don't and fail, the people celebrate that failure.

top topics

join