It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to polite discourse on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Recently I was watching a video of a lecture by a college professor (not going to name the school or link the video. It's irrelevant.) about discrimination and racism in the US. It was stated during the lecture that for a white person to say that they 'don't see color' when referring to other ethnicities is discriminatory and oppressive. This is because it apparently denies their cultural background and their 'victim status'. That's not in quotes to mock the term. I'm just quoting it.
The lecture then moved on to how women, members of the LGBT community and ethnic minorities are constantly experiencing 'micro-aggressions'. This was a term I was totally unfamiliar with.
So, I posted a thread asking others on ATS whether they identified with these things. Knowing that this site has members from every aspect of life, I was genuinely hoping to get honest answers and thus come away with an understanding of an apparently growing social issue. And the thread predictably went south very quickly, and I was all but accused of trying to bait people into an argument.
I don't want to start another shouting match about the two things I quoted above. I want to know why people are seemingly so afraid of anything that falls outside of their own belief structure that they feel compelled to get argumentative and accusatory rather than just talk rationally or ignore it entirely?
There are very intelligent people here. Why do so many of us feel the need to attack those with differing values? Why can't people just look at a post like my previous one, see that it may not be relevant to them, and move on?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I have noticed an uptick also in the responses people have been receiving lately when they post a topic. The OP will have a deep, heartfelt topic that they spent a lot of time writing. Within two posts, someone has to come in and belittle the OP. Usually, they have a one liner or something, but add no real value to the discussion.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
Recently I was watching a video of a lecture by a college professor (not going to name the school or link the video. It's irrelevant.) about discrimination and racism in the US. It was stated during the lecture that for a white person to say that they 'don't see color' when referring to other ethnicities is discriminatory and oppressive. This is because it apparently denies their cultural background and their 'victim status'. That's not in quotes to mock the term. I'm just quoting it.
The lecture then moved on to how women, members of the LGBT community and ethnic minorities are constantly experiencing 'micro-aggressions'. This was a term I was totally unfamiliar with.
So, I posted a thread asking others on ATS whether they identified with these things. Knowing that this site has members from every aspect of life, I was genuinely hoping to get honest answers and thus come away with an understanding of an apparently growing social issue. And the thread predictably went south very quickly, and I was all but accused of trying to bait people into an argument.
I don't want to start another shouting match about the two things I quoted above. I want to know why people are seemingly so afraid of anything that falls outside of their own belief structure that they feel compelled to get argumentative and accusatory rather than just talk rationally or ignore it entirely?
There are very intelligent people here. Why do so many of us feel the need to attack those with differing values? Why can't people just look at a post like my previous one, see that it may not be relevant to them, and move on?

My own perception and intrepretation of my experience on ATS - while there are members from many differing backgrounds and nationalities (except the poor - the real poor) - I think the bulk of posters are made up of a narrow segment of humanity and that segment is by nature immature and reactionary to anything that challenges their worldview.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: pfishy

My own perception and intrepretation of my experience on ATS - while there are members from many differing backgrounds and nationalities (except the poor - the real poor) - I think the bulk of posters are made up of a narrow segment of humanity and that segment is by nature immature and reactionary to anything that challenges their worldview.
As much as I would like to shake my head and say that simply can't be the case, there is evidence to the contrary.
edit on 23-6-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

As far as rants go this is pretty tame. I think much of it has to do with self expectations. We may have a point to make and want to share but it comes with unreasonable expectations attached. Do not take any one comment and feel it is a personal indictment. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and just because you don't get the response you want,that does not entitle you to get your feelings hurt; it is merely due to your own expectations.

Does this give anyone "carte blanch" to blast the OP out of the water, No! That is what the MODS are for, if you feel someone is out of bounds, alert and if so necessary they will be dealt with accordingly.

Present your information and expect nothing in return.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

It's really not that I didn't get much in the way of answers. It's that people just HAD to deride society for this reason or that. I can live without satisfying that particular curiosity. But I truly wonder how some people manage to live with so much anger and bile in their haerts.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It is easy to sit behind a screen and spew garbage to faceless people. But, it takes a lot for someone to actually post a topic they feel passionate about, especially knowing some clown is going to go after them. I agree with soulpowertothendegree, post what you want and don't take it personally.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Because they have muscle memory and do not know how to change it. You wishing it away is not going to make it any better. Hatred in the heart has to be dealt with by those that have it and all anyone with love in their heart can do is accept it and do their part to provide a good example and not stoop to their level.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I'm not really taking offense at this so much as lamenting the loss of a friendly exchange of ideas. And I really don't care if someone attacks me personally. I just find it sad that this has become everyone's standard reflexive reaction, instead of trying to actually understand another person's world view.
And I never stoop. I'm quite happily staying where I am.
edit on 23-6-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Probably due to the content and intent of your video.

www.urbandictionary.com...

Microaggressions

Acts or words that are perceived to be insulting by a person who is looking to be insulted, whether or not that was the intent of the transgressor. Usually a symptom of a persecution complex. (n)

After years of hearing progressive psychobabble, people are really sick of it.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Facebook ate it.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I experienced that just last night when I posted a thread and empathize with you entirely.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

You answered your own question right here:

people are seemingly so afraid of anything that falls outside of their own belief structure that they feel compelled to get argumentative and accusatory rather than just talk rationally or ignore it entirely

That's human nature. Not everyone can express themselves well and many get frustrated when they can't figure something out. And most people get defensive when talking about things they care about. That's probably why people gravitate towards eloquent speakers; because they can express a population's wants and desires in a way that makes them feel good. As I've always heard, "politics is the art of telling the people bad things in a good way". People like Frank Luntz have made careers out of coming up with pleasant sounding phrases to describe policies & positions. Which means that even seasoned politicians need advisors to tell them how to word things "correctly".

Though I must admit you've peaked my curiosity. What exactly was this thread you speak of? I might have to check it out (and see if I was one of the verbal combatants
).

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I don't know, but a mods answer to me was to grow a thicker skin. So I did. It was good advice.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

i have a stick and we can draw circles in send

u know that

it will diminish with yes sir / no sir.. I hear u sir/ madams (pardon me)

(bisex, multi- what ever u want me to be, I shake ur hand and smile at u politely regardless of ur believe system and opinions, I even hear u out if I don't feel someone's passive - aggresive tendency ) sooner we stop puting a stop sign in people's face who are highly opiniated the sooner we can find something we have in common. watching dumb romantic comedy. one cheese punch line: it takes one person to make you feel like you belong

I have a feeling like ats kind of pushes out the ats moraly unacceptable
maybe it is wisful dreaming .. but I don't think so

progressive community - ats

edit on 23-6-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's not just on ATS, it's everywhere.

If someone voices an unpopular opinion on any medium, they are immediately shouted down, belittled, verbally attacked, shamed and smeared until they go away; today, this "You disagree with me? You're a (insert demeaning adjective here)" attitude is considered the norm for discussion.

Civilized discussion is a dead art, and simple disagreement with a PC, or pulp opinion is grounds for termination from a job, ostracism, or worse, and everyone seems okay with that.

The concept of polite society is in the toilet, and that is (apparently) where the squeakiest wheels want it to be.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Not much has changed. Every month (at least) someone posts a new version of this thread.

Knowing that this site has members from every aspect of life

I honestly really doubt that the vast majority aren't white, hovering between lower class and middle-middle class and live in the UK, US, or Canada. Most seem to have a convoluted sense of being Libertarian, and most seem to be at least somewhat conservative. I don't think the site is all that diverse, even though there are certainly members held in high regard that don't fit into the aforementioned group(s).

There are very intelligent people here.

I would say that there are a fair number compared to most forums, but I don't agree with people that act like this place is some sort of haven for the bright. It's not. It's just obscure enough for now that it hasn't been completely overrun with as many idiots as other places on the internet. The more popular it gets, the crappier it will get.

Why do so many of us feel the need to attack those with differing values?

Because it's easier to see things in black and white and attack than have a real discussion and admit another person who you thought you fundamentally disagreed with is coming from a very similar place, but has reached a different conclusion. It's easier to say everyone that disagrees with you is an idiot. I've known very few people that haven't fallen into this mindset, and I'm struggling to pull myself out of it. Going on the offensive or defensive is appealing for it's ease, actually listening openly and allowing yourself to realize you may be wrong or have a different frame of reference is difficult. It takes work, and it's a pain in the ass when you realize that you need to work on it.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Look in my threads. "What is your victim status"

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

my victim status : why is everything complicated. complex is ok

my victim status to you : why so serious Sir

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

I'm just a serious person. And it just bugs me that I have such difficulty having a calm conversation on a forum I enjoy so much.
edit on 24-6-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join