It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Sighting of Aurora Australis on Australian Mainland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Don't see the Aurora extend this far north very often. What an absolutely stunning sight!

Apparently it will be visible again tonight for those in the lower latitudes.

www.ips.gov.au...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Wow, cool. Must be sum sudden sun activity? Is this at both poles, like?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Wowzers, what a gorgeous photo... amazing colour capture !

With this recent solar flare, me thinks I'm going to step out and have a looksy over my head tonight too in the hopes of maybe catching a sweet display like that in our northern skies up here.

Thanks for the reminder !

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah both poles will be equally spectacular.

It's due to multiple quick fire solar flares from the sunspot pointing straight at us

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I posted this on another thread but its relevant here as well:

SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN PROGRESS: A severe G4-class geomagnetic storm is in progress on June 22nd. This follows a series of rapid-fire CME strikes to Earth's magnetic field during the past 24 hours. Magnetic fields in the wake of the latest CME are strongly coupled to Earth's own magnetic field. This is a condition that could sustain the geomagnetic storm for many hours to come. High- and mid-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras tonight, especially during the hours around local midnight.

spaceweather

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
heres a good site for some that can understand it,this thick bugger cant.

www.aurora-service.net...

hoping to see it here in the north island of NZ.Im 300mtrs above seal level where I am,so we might get to see it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

It's due to multiple quick fire solar flares from the sunspot pointing straight at us

CMEs directly pointed at earth?

Thats pretty rare. And makes good fireworks.

Jealous in mediocreland. Enjoy the show.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Beautiful picture!

Thanks for sharing this!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Help explains the cold front that has blown up, was a pretty mild winter until recently.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

G,day mate
good catch.
bugga may have to come off the dry, rug up and stand outside tonight.
first time i saw the event was back in 1982 freezin cold night out in the paddocks spotting bunnies with the shottie
i was left wanting for words

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Beautiful photo!
I have a question relating to this, I live in the south east of melbourne and had a massive struggle to get to sleep
even though i felt super tired i just couldn't sleep, got a phone call from my mate about 30 minutes ago first thing he asked me was if i had trouble sleeping last night because he did too. just curious if any one else from Victoria experienced the struggle to sleep last night too?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Seeing some very impressive lights dancing across the sky here in northern wisconsin. Lights reaching all the way to southern sky. Pretty cool and pretty rare.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Please explain, what do solar flares have to do with cold fronts?

a reply to: kwakakev

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Hey mate , nice shot . Your link isnt working for me , will this be visible as low as Adelaide , if so i might have to grab a six pack and get the missus to drive up into the hills away from the light pollution .

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Yeah it seems to be struggling at the moment.

Try this link instead:

www.aurora-service.net...

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Very cool,great pic.....thx for sharing

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Cheers mate , seems to be coming up a bit short at the moment if i am reading things right . Will check in an hour .

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Absolutely, both poles! I'm hoping for a few minutes of clear sky in the Netherlands for tonight, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to happen. Massive overcast... :S

On this website you can see a real-time simulation based on nasa's solar wind data.
Europe, Australia, North America

I'm just wondering if this recent CME was the cause of New Zealand's radar outage...
Radar failure in New Zealand temporarily grounds all flights

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: pronto

G,day mate
good catch.
bugga may have to come off the dry, rug up and stand outside tonight.
first time i saw the event was back in 1982 freezin cold night out in the paddocks spotting bunnies with the shottie
i was left wanting for words

I'm terribly sorry but I seem to have misplaced my Aussie to English dictionary. Does that mean you saw the aurora and enjoyed it? O_o

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: awatara

Absolutely, both poles! I'm hoping for a few minutes of clear sky in the Netherlands for tonight, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to happen. Massive overcast... :S

On this website you can see a real-time simulation based on nasa's solar wind data.
Europe, Australia, North America

I'm just wondering if this recent CME was the cause of New Zealand's radar outage...
Radar failure in New Zealand temporarily grounds all flights

Cool. Thanks for those links. That story about the radar going down might deserve its own thread. It reeks of cover up. I'm pinging someone that might be able to shed some light.

Edit to add:

Fro that Nasa website about solar activity.

Due to an extended outage of SOHO LASCO coronagraph imagery, accurate
analysis of any CMEs associated with the X2, M1, and M3 flares is
degraded, at best. However, the presence of the Type II radio sweep
combined with SDO/AIA 304 imagery indicated there was likely a CME
associated with the X2 flare with at least a portion of the plasma cloud
directed at Earth.

Hella magnetometer spike yesterday, apparently off the charts. All the gauges are rattling right now. Since radar is "radio" detection and ranging, you could be right about the aircraft radar 'outage'.
edit on 23-6-2015 by intrptr because: ETA:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join