It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki Haley - A sure thing on the 2016 Republican Presidential ticket?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Seems like it to me.

Given the growing number of African-American voters choosing to vote Republican, South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley would seem to be a compelling pick.

Not only has she handled the Charleston church shooting very adeptly, with her candid and emotional comments afterwards but she has now taken the divisive issue of the Confederate flag head on and called for its removal from the South Carolina Capitol.

Additionally, she appointed an African-American, Tim Scott (R), to replace long-time Senator Jim DeMint in Washington D.C.

Here's a bit more about her:

www.governor.sc.gov...

She was already a likely option as a VP running mate to many of the GOP contenders being a sitting Governor, a woman and a racial minority but her handling of this crisis in Charleston is bound to put her at the very top of the list.
edit on 6/22/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
aha NO , she just took down the beloved confederate flag that every red neck here in S.C. proudly flies, every southeastern red neck hates her and Mitt now, they were loved like the flag before that. As for the non red necks here, they hated her anyway, me included.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I mentioned that to my husband. She was spot on today. I agree that she'll likely be a VP pick this time.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Not if she can't deliver the south.

But there's a while yet for the stupidity over the flag to settle.

I rather like her, but VP is about delivering a section of the country. Shouldn't be, but it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Honestly I am starting to think Sanders will end up getting the Vice Presidency for this reason.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Foderalover

But those rednecks are a shrinking portion of the prospective GOP vote. And they would still vote for any GOP candidate over a Dem, so, their influence over the ticket pick is greatly diminished.

It's straight up demographics.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
She's cute, only thing that matters to the GOP.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
She's cute, only thing that matters to the GOP.

and if she lost, FOX NEWS would put her on in a second, so long as she wore short dresses.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

This could also ruin her political career.

A lot of those southerners may turn against her

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Or it could be simple political pandering. The GOP is desperately trying to win back women into the fold. Minorities view the Republicans as devils in-bed with the corporations. It's a hail Mary effort, to make up for Palin that blew up in their faces with that corny persona "doncha know"?

It would be nice to see a reasonable moderate on the GOP campaign trail with Jeb, but I doubt if that will happen. I expect Jebs running mate to be even more conservative southerner to keep the Christian Right still on board with the Republicans.
edit on 22-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
aha NO , she just took down the beloved confederate flag that every red neck here in S.C. proudly flies, every southeastern red neck hates her and Mitt now, they were loved like the flag before that. As for the non red necks here, they hated her anyway, me included.

You gotta realize that most if not all "red necks" as you describe them that fly the Confederate Battle or Naval Flag, are convicted felons and cannot vote.

Now, as a native South Carolinian, I'm proud to see the state government finally divorce themselves of the Confederate Flags. It's something that has been needed for a long time. But, I had a thought about one of the most recent vilifiers of the Flags. The Honorable Mayor Riley of Charleston described them as representing hate and slavery. I agree that hate groups in America have taken the symbols and corrupted them for their own use and maybe something should have been done then when they were first shown as such.

But, the Confederate flags were only used officially by the Confederacy for 4 years from 1861 to 1865. Slavery in America was introduced in the late 1600's to early 1700's (I haven't found an official date that states "yep, slavery started on this date"). So the flags that flew over the terrible institution of slavery were first British for close to 80 years and then the American for maybe 90 years.

Boy, those stars and bars certainly made an impression for 4 years!
edit on 22-6-2015 by NightFlight because: We are all brothers and sisters everywhere. sex seems a lot more incestuous, now.

(post by MoreBeer removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

It could be both.

She might be a compelling pick AND it's strategic.

SC is one of the first four primaries, in February, and the first Southern primary. She would lock in that state for the GOP, no doubt, building momentum into March when there are 7 Southern states in play.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I expect it will be a Jeb Bush - Nikki Haley ticket on the GOP side. Haley would be the bright spot on a losing ticket. Much like Paul Ryan was the star of the doomed Romney campaign. Haley and Ryan may be serious contenders for the 2020 GOP race.

top topics

join