It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British police calling for knife ban

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: bastion

He/she won't get it, I've already explained that I often walk through town with extremely sharp wood chisels, pry-bar, claw hammer, and Paslode gas powered nail gun on my lunch break.
I would invite questions (rightly so) if I had any of that secreted on my person at the pub though.
He/she calls it oppression, I call it a sensible law which gives the cops the ability to take knifes of the street when someone cannot show good reason for having one.

Agreed, I'd maybe think 'that's odd' if it was someone with spotless tools, overalls and manicured baby soft hands - but in any other case it's filtered out as normal attire and wouldn't even bat an eyelid.

Even at the pub, if the police were contacted I imagine they'd first make sure you're not drunk, ask how many you intend to stay for and at worse temporarily take them off someone until morning or just leave it as 'fair play we all enjoy a pint after work, but please make sure you don't do it so obviously next time'.

Anyone who lives in the UK knows that this law is targeted mainly at the problem of 13 -17 year old chav/townie kids who only carry them to cause trouble so the more removed - the more safer everyone is as they can't walk into a shop and replace it at that age. It's just common sense policing that only grants police powers to disrupt the criminals in reality.

So why not make laws accordingly? How would banning knives stop kids from doing something already banned (behaviour)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Answer

a reply to: Answer

Blogs. Yeah. OK. The third one had a chart saying how the UK was manipulating the data. Even though I had pointed out that exact graph earlier..... and it wasn't manipulated. Nice try. I didn't ignore them. I read and now discount.

You're a liar. You made this post exactly 6 minutes after mine. The YouTube video I posted is over 6 minutes long and every source of information I posted takes several minutes to actually read through.

The blog post lays out exactly how the numbers were arrived at.

You wonder why I didn't bother with sources in the first place... because I knew this is the response they would receive.

"Blah blah, this disagrees with my opinion... blah blah screw reading this." Predictable.

I didn't listen to the video. I had already read the first source. If the video was the same as as the blogs it would have been a further waste of time.

Then don't ask for sources if all you're going to do is ignore them. Again, your behavior is completely predictable which is why I don't bother with sources. People who want the truth will seek it out, people whose minds are made up will demand sources and ignore them anyway.

I read all of your sources and discounted them as crap. We offer facts. You offer conspiracy opinions and insults.

No, you didn't read them all. Even a speed reader couldn't have gotten through them that quickly and you certainly didn't watch the video.

Everything I posted was factual but you didn't take the time to find that out. You were too busy knowing everything and discounting anything that disagrees as "crap." Your "facts" are skewed but you're unwilling to accept that.

Please point out where I've insulted anyone... in fact, report it to a mod so it will be removed. Put up or shut up.

This is the last time I respond to your posts. It's increasingly obvious that you're not worth the effort.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Blogs. Yeah. OK. The third one had a chart saying how the UK was manipulating the data. Even though I had pointed out that exact graph earlier..... and it wasn't manipulated. Nice try. I didn't ignore them. I read and now discount.

You're a liar. You made this post exactly 6 minutes after mine. The YouTube video I posted is over 6 minutes long and every source of information I posted takes several minutes to actually read through.

The blog post lays out exactly how the numbers were arrived at.

You wonder why I didn't bother with sources in the first place... because I knew this is the response they would receive.

"Blah blah, this disagrees with my opinion... blah blah screw reading this." Predictable.

I didn't listen to the video. I had already read the first source. If the video was the same as as the blogs it would have been a further waste of time.

Then don't ask for sources if all you're going to do is ignore them. Again, your behavior is completely predictable which is why I don't bother with sources. People who want the truth will seek it out, people whose minds are made up will demand sources and ignore them anyway.

I read all of your sources and discounted them as crap. We offer facts. You offer conspiracy opinions and insults.

No, you didn't read them all. Even a speed reader couldn't have gotten through them that quickly and you certainly didn't watch the video.

Everything I posted was factual but you didn't take the time to find that out. You were too busy knowing everything and discounting anything that disagrees as "crap." Your "facts" are skewed but you're unwilling to accept that.

Please point out where I've insulted anyone... in fact, report it to a mod so it will be removed. Put up or shut up.

This is the last time I respond to your posts. It's increasingly obvious that you're not worth the effort.

Careful i said the same thing (report it to a mod) and they took my post down. The person kept telling me i was off topic because i was winning the debate.

Anyway it seems odd to want to make a law for something there is already a law for. You cant wave a knife at people so take the k ife away from those people waving knives and stabbing. If a person is willing to stab some one they will certainly be willing to make something sharp which is pretty much one of the first skills man learned to do.
edit on 22-6-2015 by luthier because: fix

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Why can't you take away the knives from psychos?
Guns and knives are both physical objects that come in both large and small varieties.

But if we use that as a precedent then A4 paper could become a weapon, those paper cuts could be a killer.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Are you sure you are feeling smurfy? Seems more like grumpy or snarky!

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Are you sure you are feeling smurfy? Seems more like grumpy or snarky!

If I wasn't addressing the same issues in 3 different threads, I would feel a lot better.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

We do - if crime rises or a new problem emerges and there's a large number of complaints from the public, new laws and legislation are introduced to deal withe the problem while making sure the vast majority of law abiding people are unaffected.People write o their MP about an issue and get the to try and pass a law against a new emerging threat or to repair a failed system (apart from their own expenses of course).

The laws were being debated as people continued to get stabbed and when a chav did a gang sign of shooting the Prime Minister while tood right behind him and playing with his balls, it crossed the line - pic here: news.images.itv.com...

They did by stopping 14 - 17 year oldkids being able to get hold of guns or knives so easily, giving police the power to confiscate and impose massive fines on them which wasn't the case until controls were introduced to deal with the emerging problem of kids stabbing each other.

Now these kids are seen as being pathetic wimps if they feel the need to carry a gun for no reason in public (a cave worst nightmare), so the police have made it no longer fashionable for them to carry and the problem has been decreased -which is the main purpose of the law and the amnesty.

If someone behaves lake that with a knife now they can expect to spend several more years in prison and lose all gang/street credibility as people use real men use words or fists.
edit on 22-6-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: bastion

He/she won't get it, I've already explained that I often walk through town with extremely sharp wood chisels, pry-bar, claw hammer, and Paslode gas powered nail gun on my lunch break.
I would invite questions (rightly so) if I had any of that secreted on my person at the pub though.
He/she calls it oppression, I call it a sensible law which gives the cops the ability to take knifes of the street when someone cannot show good reason for having one.

Agreed, I'd maybe think 'that's odd' if it was someone with spotless tools, overalls and manicured baby soft hands - but in any other case it's filtered out as normal attire and wouldn't even bat an eyelid.

Even at the pub, if the police were contacted I imagine they'd first make sure you're not drunk, ask how many you intend to stay for and at worse temporarily take them off someone until morning or just leave it as 'fair play we all enjoy a pint after work, but please make sure you don't do it so obviously next time'.

Anyone who lives in the UK knows that this law is targeted mainly at the problem of 13 -17 year old chav/townie kids who only carry them to cause trouble so the more removed - the more safer everyone is as they can't walk into a shop and replace it at that age. It's just common sense policing that only grants police powers to disrupt the criminals in reality.

So why not make laws accordingly? How would banning knives stop kids from doing something already banned (behaviour)
Banning the carrying of knives and chisels etc for no good reason makes it easier to remove the knife/contact parents/caution/charge the knife carrier if appropriate.
This coupled with laws preventing the sale of knives to under 18's makes it harder to obtain a weapon in a moment of madness. They have to steal one, or get an adult to buy it for them.
...and if they are found to be carrying one for no apparent good reason then the police can get involved. Which bit of the law troubles you so much? I've already said my stories of carrying allsorts in a public place when I have good reason/explanation to be doing so.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Get your government approved, bullet resistant, Knife resistant, Weapon Resistant, germ resistant, Sound resistant, logic resistant plastic bubbles, complete with wifi connection for surfing the internet and making phone calls, at your local FEMA office, all for the low low price of your freedom. (Standard models have 32Gb of storage, 64Gb available with special government coupon, or if you're on welfare)

Bubble Features:
Bullet Resistant - Technically, everything is bullet resistant to varying degrees.

Knife Resistant - (See Bullet Resistance notes)

Weapon Resistant - (See Knife Resistance notes)

Germ Resistant - Can block any germs from entering your bubble, unless those germs are pre-approved for entry into your bubble by an official authority.

Sound Resistant - Never hear an offending remark again, no matter how much common sense it contains!

Logic Resistant - Bubble has sensors included that can cause it to cloud over to prevent any kind of logic from appearing before your eyes in written, or pictorial form.

Now you can "hamster ball' your way through life, and rest assured that your bubble will keep you from ever actually experiencing life beyond the pre-approved levels recommended by an elite panel of appointed bureaucrats.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Agreed with much of that.
My 18 year old son is involved in his own less than saintly shadiness and real world stuff, but we were chatting last week and the conversation of knives came up after reading a story of a stabbing in London, and he told me it is pretty much frowned badly upon in all his circles, pussies was the key word, even amongst his more dodgy of mates who I am aware of...
I smiled at that, could just be a regional thing for me though, either way I'm happy.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
No citizen, in the course of their daily life, that does not include the need for a knife, NEEDS to carry a knife. What is so hard to understand?

Ah right, I get it, it is some kind of deflection from the gun issue in the USA. Well guess what, keep your guns, we don't care.

I know what society I would prefer to live in, where I don't even know if the police are going to kill me, never mind the next door neighbour.

And for the people who say let's ban forks, fists etc...do you guys get like private point multipliers, as in video games?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Yes. We've gotten the point right from the OP. If ain't the way of the USA it's wrong and should be ridiculed.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It isn't just your region, I know that people who use knives in Liverpool are considered feckin cowards and looked upon with disgust.
The way of it is a "straightener" in these parts. Man to man.

Of course there will be cowards who take the opportunity while carrying a knife etc...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

My 18 year old son is involved in his own less than saintly shadiness and real world stuff, but we were chatting last week and the conversation of knives came up after reading a story of a stabbing in London, and he told me it is pretty much frowned badly upon in all his circles, pussies was the key word, even amongst his more dodgy of mates who I am aware of...
I smiled at that, could just be a regional thing for me though, either way I'm happy.

That's good news. Way back when, when I was a punk kid, I almost always had a knife with me, but it never occurred to me to use it as a weapon, it was a tool. If I fought, it was punches. It hurt to give them as well as receive. Times have changed, but it's good to hear it's not lost completely.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Yes. We've gotten the point right from the OP. If ain't the way of the USA it's wrong and should be ridiculed.

Actually, I was ridiculing U.S. society and its fear mongering.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

And Again Skid Mark, Kudos for hiding the message so amazingly well. You are a wordsmith.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

With all respect, that wasn't my point of writing this at all. Sadly it's what this thread has turned into. This was the point:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Yeah it's fists mainly here as well, one on one is always respected, stamping on heads after a guy has lost is not.
I bet our ABH and GBH convictions are much higher than the US in percentages, I may have a look for whatever their equivalent crime is recorded as.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: intrepid

With all respect, that wasn't my point of writing this at all. Sadly it's what this thread has turned into. This was the point:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please:

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I see that this thread has devolved into the same tired stuff that the other threads that even mention guns has.

YOU made it a gun thread. It's about an amnesty program for knives and was twisted.
edit on 22-6-2015 by intrepid because: Clarity.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

It's exactly the same in the North West and has been for a couple of years - same language - only a pussy would carry a blade as they're clearly incapable of using their hands, fists, wits or body language. Sme with never kick a man when they're down, sucker punching and similar basic etiquette.

Glad to see it's happening down there too as the south west used to be a lot more dangerous and people who don't carry usually have more than enough sense to ever deal with someone who does (I was certainly no angel myself, but met nothing but decent people who avoid nonsense and drama before it occurs). All credit to him. Sounds like he has his head screwed on.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join