It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama uses N-word, says we are 'not cured' of racism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
President Obama was a guest on a podcast and says "we are not cured of racism".

He made powerful statements about race and guns in America.

I'm sure President Obama want us all to keep an open mind.

CNN article explains..... and prints some offensive language.

Obama uses N-word, says we are 'not cured' of racism

Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama used the n-word during an interview released Monday to make a point that there's still plenty of room for America to combat racism.

"Racism, we are not cured of it. And it's not just a matter of it not being polite to say **** in public," Obama said in an interview for the podcast "WTF with Marc Maron."

"That's not the measure of whether racism still exists or not. It's not just a matter of overt discrimination. Societies don't, overnight, completely erase everything that happened 200 to 300 years prior."

if interested, here's a link to the podcast audio....
Episode 613 - President Barack Obama

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I didn't listen to it...

But I have been a big fan of Baracks presidency. However, I'm not sure he should've dropped the N-bomb. It's a bit awkward.. and from a PR standpoint, it doesn't seem like the best move. No matter the president's race it's still like dropping an "F-bomb"

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I think it's time we grow up. Americans act like a bunch of little spoiled kids who moan and cry every time their overly sensitive "sensibilities" are upset.

Racism is very much still alive, despite how we may want to believe otherwise. Sweeping it under a rug doesn't mean it's not there anymore. Look how long it took for interracial marriages to become legal across the country. And surprise, which states were among the very last to allow it?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

star for you, these are my sentiments exactly...he knows what he is saying, unlike our last president, and he did it to shock people intentionally.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Nevermind!
edit on 6/22/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Thank You for the link..
This should prove interesting.

People are sleeping.. too easy to not look at something.. I want to see. I want to hear people say stuff that is shocking..
Obama, saying it makes it better.

I'll be back after the show started 1 minute ago.

...24 minutes in

This is great. I think everyone interested should give it a listen.
Obama talking in long form.. No sound bites.. no commercials..
edit on 22-6-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Agreed on the overly sensitive bit...my problem is it isnt just racism against African Americans. ..yet thats all we ever hear about.
reply to: MystikMushroom

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
So what? It's a word that exists. He used it in a logical and conversational manner. Why does everyone try to dance around it and say "the n-word". We all know what it means.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I think it's time we grow up.

It's past time! I have used that word in this exact context. It's not like he called someone that or referred to black people using that word...

People are (again) just looking for something to be offended about.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That's why I skipped the article and listened to a 1 hour podcast instead.
I have gained more respect for Obama after it, and I didn't get anything spun around me..

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If President Obama doesn't like the word I suggest he doesn't use it.

I was taught as a child to never use the word.

I thought this was all decided. Why do we keep reliving this ?

Is it just to shame a few idiots that still speak that way.

But, It just seems we are going backwards.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
How does Obama know so much about racism.

I've never heard/seen so much racial buzz until a black president became tyrant.. I mean leader, of the United States.

Isn't that ironic much? A black man gets into the white house and every year we get racial buzz words, media blitz, racial police incidents. .

How often is Obama in the public domain to know so much about the average racism. What DOES he witness?

He's a talking puppet, and racism is the new card of the 1%, who control him, to divide the USA more so.

Us was bought out a while ago. Founding fathers would give up and execute themselves had they seen what America has become.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
I didn't listen to it...

But I have been a big fan of Baracks presidency. However, I'm not sure he should've dropped the N-bomb. It's a bit awkward.. and from a PR standpoint, it doesn't seem like the best move. No matter the president's race it's still like dropping an "F-bomb"

You're telling me it's awkward. My husband is more than a little upset. He likes to listen to the news on his drive in from work, and it's on every media outlet.

That word is the LAST thing you want your for all practical intents and purposes white 4-year-old to hear. You never know what words a kid that age will pick up and start parroting because they think it sounds neat.

Thank you, mass media of the US. Thank you, President Obama. Because if my child suddenly starts calling everyone a n*****, I am going to go ballistic.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I think it's time we grow up. Americans act like a bunch of little spoiled kids who moan and cry every time their overly sensitive "sensibilities" are upset.

Racism is very much still alive, despite how we may want to believe otherwise. Sweeping it under a rug doesn't mean it's not there anymore. Look how long it took for interracial marriages to become legal across the country. And surprise, which states were among the very last to allow it?

Does that same premise work then that people shouldnt be overly sensitive when white people use the N word since black people do ?

whats good for the goose is good for the gander....

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist

I've never heard/seen so much racial buzz until a black president became tyrant.. I mean leader, of the United States.

Isn't that ironic much? A black man gets into the white house and every year we get racial buzz words, media blitz, racial police incidents. .

How often is Obama in the public domain to know so much about the average racism. What DOES he witness?

He's a talking puppet, and racism is the new card of the 1%, who control him, to divide the USA more so.

Us was bought out a while ago. Founding fathers would give up and execute themselves had they seen what America has become.

Yep. I'm sure Obama was a victim of racism from his middle class upbringing to his Ivy league education at Columbia and Harvard. Racism is so rampant here that a country of an overwhelming majority of whites elected a black president........twice (sarcasm off). Does racism exist here? Of course. Can we ever rid it 100% here? Of course not. There is always an ignorant, bigoted populace in any and all countries. But I find it disingenuous of him as the one to lend expertise on racism with all the opportunities he's had. Maybe if he grew up in Compton or inner city Baltimore and was denied those opportunities because of his skin color.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
His wife definitely isn't.

Maybe he should start in Chicago and move from inner city to inner city where the ones with the real race problems exist.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Obama has radicalized the 2016 election campaigns.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
How often is Obama in the public domain to know so much about the average racism.

Are you serious? He's a 53-year-old black man who has personally experienced racism most of his life. What do you mean? Racism isn't new, you know.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Are you serious? He's a 53-year-old black man who has personally experienced racism most of his life. What do you mean? Racism isn't new, you know.

I live near where a lot of racism and progress was made.. You know Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Durham, Winston Salem.

History.com

Despite advances in the fight for racial equality (including the landmark 1954 Supreme Court verdict in Brown v. Board of Education and the Montgomery Bus Boycott), segregation was still the norm across the southern United States in 1960. Early that year, a non-violent protest by young African-American students at a segregated Woolworth’s lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina, sparked a sit-in movement that soon spread to college towns throughout the region. Though many of the protesters were arrested for trespassing, disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace, their actions made an immediate and lasting impact, forcing Woolworth’s and other establishments to change their segregationist policies.

My mom went through amazing hatred as a white girl.. And the stories she tells me of what happened to black people as well.. It is all so VERY recent..

I say I am half black on the inside, and I know that will sound wrong to some of you, but I have always identified with people who are not getting their due respect.

The issue remains, but it is sooo much better than it was. Can we talk about it not in relation to a mass shooting event? Do we just go back to left and right wing, and Hillary is evil, and blowing up other countries? OR can we keep the conversation open. I am getting a little tired of white people saying what's the problem? I don't have an issue. I am not racist. That's good and thank you for being on my team.

But,

It's not everyone. We have to get to those other people too.

And to be honest we are doing a pretty good job. Despite recent hatred being spread through the media. Turn off the news. I live in a completely different world than some of you guys do. I have no enemies. I don't see the hatred, because it's so small compared to the love. You are being led to think there is a giant issue that you should fear, like race riots, when it could never be like that if you weren't following orders from the TV.

I still know what happens all over the world from ATS. I just filter out the yucky. I don't need to be drained of my energy before I even act in good faith. I've been helped by things like food banks, and churches though I am not religious. Black culture can only be what it has to be to survive. Fix the hoods.. Fix the hoods for every race.

The solution is staying calm, and helping out your brothers..

We are in this one together, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The context in which he used it was certainly appropriate and not offensive at all. In fact, anyone offended by the way it was used is exactly the point he was making in the first place. Too many people think that just because white people don't use that word anymore that Racism is gone with it. Nothing could be further from the truth.

On a side note, I think everyone should listen to that interview from start to finish. It was actually a good look into who Obama really is and what he thinks and his perspective on things. It's just him and the interviewer talking about things from a very personal level. It was very authentic. Nothing ground breaking really, just a couple guys talking about stuff while hanging out in his garage. In fact, I think before anyone even bothers to comment on this topic they should listen to the interview. Otherwise they're just parroting what some pundit thinks about what was said and they probably didn't listen to the interview either. So take an hour and listen to it first and make up your own mind.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join