It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crackdown on illegal downloading in Australia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
I did see a tv interview years ago, where an academic predicted that aerial bradcast providers will not exist by 2020 due to the public wanting quicker access to new tv and movies, and mentioned was tv stations continuos repeats which drive people away.

It's true I think. I've got Stan and Netflix and despite the irritation of knowing that there is more content available for the people of the USA I have not watched broadcast TV in at least 6 weeks. I totally do not miss the mind numbing ads, the boring and seemingly endless repeats or the inanely dull 'reality' TV shows which have as much to do with real life as goldfish on bicycles do. I don't even miss the news which is just a self feeding and repeating loop of scandal and lies.
edit on 22-6-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

In Japan now they throw us in jail for 2 years. Why I don't know. The jails here now are filled up with mostly homeless elderly people with now where to sleep at night so they shoplift just to get to go into prison or jail. I think the more advance we get, the more people get left behind.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This is always about control, they want people to live in scarsity. They don't care if some people only watch things on the computer and if they like a show, they then buy the dvds, and collect that show, and they would never be tapping into those markets otherwise.

So this is basically about draconian control and power over people.

And people have to show they are the power.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

I havent signed up for netflix yet, though it is something i have to do, at least it is a better alternative to commercial broadcast tv, i do know what you mean glad married at first fright is over, i couldnt get the missus away from it.

I guess its early days for Netflix and Stan, perhaps they dont want to buy rights for all shows, as they may only have a small subscription base, maybe as this grows so will the catalogue.

I do want to see rollerskating squirrels, now that would be funny, i would pay to watch that.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

here quick.. animal on skates. whilst it's still free

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

True, but don't forget that even where Netflix has tried to come into line with what people want, in Australia it still offers a rip off version of the service compared to what US citizens get for similar money...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

What is your opinion on the topic?

They can do all the crack downs they want,

It wont stop and if it does it will be clear that it will financially ruin certain media that would have been financially successful if it was available "illegally" so to speak.

I mean in recent years since this 'problem' of illegal downloading has become more and more common how many movies have broken box office records?

Deal with the problem as such and see the effect it has, I suspect it would hurt the movie industry or parts of more so than helping it.

Music maybe an argument can be brought forth that might sound convincing,

TV shows, well maybe the TV networks paid and free to air might suffer from not having as many subscribers and viewers which in turn affects the advertisements and effectiveness of adds on free to air, but I would say it would create less profit for the distributors of the shows on DVD and bluray.

So its really where there is more money invested and that would clearly be TV networks so hence why they say its bad.

Distributors of TV shows on DVD and formats as such are cheaply made, it might cost less than a dollar to have a Bluray produced yet they are or some are sold to us at prices getting close to $50.

A clear loser if this is implemented in my opinion would be the box office of movies in cinemas.

Maybe not as much as I suggest like it would ruin certain production or distribution studios but I believe it would negatively affect them, like I said their profits have been increasing on a similar scale or timeline as Illegal downloading has become more common.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Completely useless law. If someone can figure out how to download these files, they can figure out how to simply bypass the blocking.
How many times has someone bought a movie and then brought it home to watch with their family or significant other? How many times has a friend let another friend borrow a movie? Should all of these people be arrested or fined? They certainly didn't pay for the movies they watched.
If you support anti-piracy, then support arresting and/or fining all of those people, too.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
A continuing war.

The multinationals have wet dreams that they one day they may get what they want ... that is ... pay them every time you want to view or listen to something.

On the other hand, a few consumers want to be able to download anything and everything.

What makes me angry is that the big 5 still put the middle finger to Australian law. Region coding of disks was found to be illegal by an Australian court and yet it continues.

I think our politicians are under the thumb.

This piece of legislation is meaningless. It will be circumvented easily.

P

G,day mate
owyergoin
yes i knew about that little court case
have to admit when laser disc's were the go i imported rather a lot from the U.S. and since dvd showed up i have always stuck with a multi system player to go with my multi system tv's not pal/secam but pal/ntsc.
that way i still bring in dvd's from the states that are cheaper in cost and in a some cases just not avail in AUST.
BUGGA , the old sony laser player is in need of a visit to a tech
yer lucky i'm on the bloody dry mate cause its your shout lol
have a good one bloke

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Primeminister Voldermort is only doing a beta test on strangle holding internet content....

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I believe these laws are a precursor for "ammendments" that will start blocking and banning websites, blogs and pages where people try to speak out against injustice.
It will lead to Lèse-majesté like laws that will remove our rights to speak out against dictatorial reductions to our freedoms by the government.
They have already begun removing our rights to protest, to gather and our rights to associate with whomever we choose to.

They forget that when you back Aussies up against the wall we will fight to the death and many can already feel it brushing their backs.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

Love it!

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: pronto
Laserdiscs are so old school, but so coll, i have a large collection, still love them as often the laserdisc is non molested as opposed to the dvd releases of some old classics. only problem i found was on the new lcd the picture was awful, had to buy a scaler (line tripler) it looks so good now.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

G,day Robsmith
i have been thinking of upgrading the panasonic 50inch to a lcd will have to keep your info in mind
yes i also have mostly old movies luv casablanca and westerns
have a good one bloke

top topics

<< 1   >>

join