It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Confederate flag should be taken down and burned.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I totally disagree, leaving it up at government buildings is a statement that the people's representation is okay with racism and longs for the good old days of slavery.

link   

originally posted by: Kali74

What does leaving it up accomplish?

Taking it down is one thing. Burning it in a childish fit is something else.

link   

Look what Lincoln did after the Civil War and it will let you know they were right and more in line with the Constitution .
a reply to: Greathouse

i hate to tell ya Lincoln didn't do much any thing after the war, he was assassinated not long after the war's end.

The Confederacy surrendered on April 9, 1865, Lincoln was assassinated April 14, 1865, President Johnson officially declared a end to the war on May 9, 1865.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I don't think anyone believes the bs fluff story of the north either. Black people were treated horribly by the Union.

Slavery was a horrible institution it degraded and minimized human beings existence .

But where do you want all this banning to end? Should we ban all bedsheets because the KKK dressed up in them?
edit on 20-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7
According you your cult, the confederate flag is a symbolism of racism. Many people disagree.

According to the right cult, the gay flag is a symbol of degredation of family values, yada yada, and many people also disagree.

Tell me what is different again?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I totally disagree, leaving it up at government buildings is a statement that the people's representation is okay with racism and longs for the good old days of slavery.

I didn't say "leaving it up on government buildings" was a good thing. I think its a bad thing. I agree that it should not be seen as a symbol that represents our government, or a State government. We are actually agreed on this.

I meant the "banning and burning" aspect in general, not as it is applied to government buildings.

- AB

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

edit on 20-6-2015 by Maddog5595 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
originally posted by: Greathouse

Again yes it did have something to do with slavery. But it was not predominately about slavery .

And even a "teeny" bit about slavery is more than enough.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

You missed Lincolns reconstruction and Amnesty plan of 1863 . In the south we call it the bring on the carpetbaggers act .

Besides under your rationale George Bush is not guilty of anything that happened after he left office . When in fact he is responsible for everything that happened post 911 .
edit on 20-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
You mean like the war on drugs is just a teeny bit about health, but it's really about revenue for the prison system?

edit on Sat, 20 Jun 2015 21:04:33 -0700 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: TKDRL

no.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Yeah. Let's not fix a bad thing because there's other bad things and let's do this by being as absurd as possible... I mean hello... Egyptian cotton, they owned slaves too!

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
No? Expand on that please lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL
no. your statement is not what I mean.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I just bought two today, I even have one on the front bumper of my truck.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
SMH. Let's play into the hands of the media, etc. Divert attention to the flag instead of what motivates hate(really think the "confederate flag" influenced this kid?) or the hate of the killer.

Here's some details from a link shared in another thread about the confederate flag and heritage.

It has been estimated that over 65,000 Southern blacks were in the Confederate ranks.

When you eliminate the black Confederate soldier, you've eliminated the history of the South.

It was not just Southern generals who owned slaves but northern generals owned them as well. General Ulysses Grant's slaves had to await the Thirteenth Amendment for freedom. When asked why he didn't free his slaves earlier, General Grant said, "Good help is so hard to come by these days."

The flap over the Confederate flag is not quite as simple as the nation's race experts make it. They want us to believe the flag is a symbol of racism. Yes, racists have used the Confederate flag, but racists have also used the Bible and the U.S. flag. Should we get rid of the Bible and lower the U.S. flag? Black civil rights activists and their white liberal supporters who're attacking the Confederate flag have committed a deep, despicable dishonor to our patriotic black ancestors who marched, fought and died to protect their homeland from what they saw as Northern aggression.
Source

Also included,

Former President of NAACP (Asheville NC) HK Edgerton who carries the Confederate Flag
edit on 20-6-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

You can't ban individuals from whatever flag they want to fly, it's protected free speech... as is burning them, even the American flag... so of course we're talking about banning it from government use. Burning it is just a highly symbolic middle finger to racism.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maddog5595

When they won I am quite sure that the first order of business was to take down the English flag.

Well not really. They kinda adopted/incorporated the flag of a British corporation. Surprise, surprise?

You'll notice the thirteen stripes.

But. I do agree. Any symbolism-eradication should have been taken care of by the victor of the war immediately following it's conclusion. I would think that should've been covered in Military Conquest 101.
edit on 6/20/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanZombie

How shocking...

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join