It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time we worked together yet on our "gun problem"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: KawRider9

You may want to live in a country where your government takes your firearms and stomps all over the 2nd amendment, but I don't. And I have never owned or used a firearm. But I want to keep my right to own one.

More they take, the less you have. So give yours away freely. As for MY rights. I am keeping them, thank you.

I want that right too. But there is no way I need automatic rifles and a ton of ammo. Guns should be registered every 2 years, just like a car. The buyer should be required to take a short training course, have a background check, a 72 hour waiting period and buy a reasonable gun safe.
I don't think that a normal hunting rifle should need the 72 hour wait...but I am not gun expert as to what a normal hunting rifle is. It would be upsetting if you showed up at a wal mart on a Friday to go hunting with buddies for the weekend and couldn't buy the thing.

This seems to be a Republican thing to fight tooth and nail against any and all restrictions. Too many lobbyists get rich from this fighting. Most shootings are accidents in the home, guns stolen from family members in the home or from legally purchased guns, or 'straw purchases', someone one knows buys the gun for someone who probably should not have one.

It's been time to have this conversation for a long time.

Both citizens and police use guns to kill much too often.

And note..registering of the gun and signing papers if you sell it or gift it helps you...if the next person uses it to shoot someone, there is a paper trail.
edit on 20-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
wHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT begins melting their firearms then i will start throwing mine in the fire too.

Instead they want to keep theirs and see the population without.

If both sides begin to disarm then we will be going in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

I guess reading comprehension is tough on Saturdays?

no doubt. I fully agree. Enforce the existing laws and ensure that everyone knows that the full penalty will apply.
I also agree that our mental health system is piss poor and needs a MAJOR overhaul. If a kid is on medication, he/she asked for help at one point, instead of help, they were given a "go away pill". Make mental health a priority and invest in the future of the kids who, with a bit of time and effort, will be a functional part of the future.

edit on 20-6-2015 by network dude because: bad spelr

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I actually didn't think you were.

Others, however, are.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Registration leads to two things, taxation or confiscation. No thank you!

I'm fine with a waiting period for your first firearm or two, but after that it's really a moot point.

A perfect example is when I bought my Circuit Judge. In Hellinois we have a three day waiting period for hand guns and rifles, and a one day wait for shotguns. Being the Judge is both a rifle and a shotgun, it gets confusing.

The clerk: Sir, you don't plan on killing anyone with this firearm do you?

Me: If I wanted to kill someone I could use one of my many other firearms I've bought from this store, what the hell kind of question is that?

The clerk: Wrong answer sir. I'm going to consider this a rifle and you can come back in three days.

Me: WTF ever...

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
"theres so many damn guns there nothing would work anyway" Yep, you got it! The whole debate, a way to get votes, and I would suggest, "if you dont like it leave because its never going to change". The whole "rational debate" thing is about disarming law-abiding citizens, because the criminals are always going to have guns. Here, not in your country. So guess what? I have one too!
a reply to: khnum

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Sir, my guns ARE registered, there's a waiting period for handguns, and I took a training course. Stop nit-picking! And go buy one, you'll sleep better at night.
a reply to: reldra

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Wow, that's a lot of hoops to jump through! We're not going to MAKE you have a gun, we promise. Of course, there might be a guy who is high on drugs prying open your window some night, but that's YOUR problem, because I already have a solution for it.
a reply to: ausername

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Parthin96

That window prying druggie, is just needing something that you have.

Give the perp hugs, not slugs!

Okay, I'm off to punch myself in the throat for typing that....

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I had copious amounts of beer last night and I managed to get the point.

I think seagull did too, and it's a bird.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

The overwhelming majority of law enforcement is pretty pro 2nd. Which is why you get sheriff that refuse to enforce various measures of gun control laws that get passed.

So, no, we will not be "melting down" our guns, nor do most of us want the proverbial "you" to melt yours.

Telling people to melt their guns down, whether LE or not, is NOT moving on the right direction.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I just spit Budweiser on my screen! Seriously!

Bird, bird, bird, the Mod is a bird.

Yeah, sing that all day. You're welcome!

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin96
Wow, that's a lot of hoops to jump through! We're not going to MAKE you have a gun, we promise. Of course, there might be a guy who is high on drugs prying open your window some night, but that's YOUR problem, because I already have a solution for it.
a reply to: ausername

Those many hoops is what makes me feel safe at night. I live in the centre of a notoriously rough town, kitchen windows always open and I never even lock my backdoor, I don't feel the need to live in constant fear.

But you can be paranoid if you want, it is your right. Lock your house up like a fortress and sleep with loaded semi-auto under your pillow, constantly afraid that the boogeymans coming for you. What a horrible way to live.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't agree with your 2nd amendment right to bear arms and I respect that it's none of my business also, but I'm going to give you my thoughts anyway.

I agree with the premise of the OP but I think you need to tighten them up a little bit more but at the same time recognising that you shouldn't penalise law abiding citizens.
I don't know your laws but as has been pointed out, it's still to easy for people on mind altering medication to gain access to guns. So stricter background checks that include a medical history check.
If a person has been or is undergoing treatment for only specific mental or substance abuse illnesses, then for a period of 5 years after the treatment has concluded they should not be allowed to own a gun.
MD's should have a mechanism where it notifies the authorities, who will then follow up with the owner to confiscate the weapons and given a receipt for reclaiming once the treatment and grace period after treatment has concluded.
That way it only penalises while they are getting treatment and 5 years is a safe period for evaluating whether side effects have worn off and they are healthy again.
I think you also need to tighten up on gun storage and have very harsh penalties for anyone who allows access to a weapon that is used in any crime. Even if they had no knowledge that the perp had taken it, they should be charged as an accomplice. People would then start to take care of where they store their weapons.
Do that and enforce your current laws and I think it would help quite a bit without being too restrictive to others.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

The boogeyman comes in many forms..... Druggy Dan, Deranged Debby, Deputy Douche-nozzle..... To each their own, but good luck blinding these creatures with your enlightenment....

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Making law abiding people jump through unnecessary hoops makes you feel safer? Wow, just wow!

I sport shoot on multiple leagues, I hunt and enjoy plinking in my back yard. I don't lock my windows or doors and don't fear the unknown. I've killed multiple animals and snakes that were a direct threat to my pets and livestock and have never used any of my firearms in an illegal crime. Expecting me to do ANYTHING to make you feel safer is laughable.

If you don't want a firearm, don't get one. But don't expect me to jump through anymore hoops than I already have to. I'm not a threat to you as long as you're not a threat to me.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
A bit off topic, but sense my flag count went past 223, would a bunch of y'all get it to 308 and STOP.

.308 is the round of my favorite "military style" firearm that I have...

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I don't sleep in any fear whatsoever.

Why?

Because if the day ever comes that the boogeyman comes to visit, I'll have more than sweet talk for him.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The gun problem exists in the inner city. That is where all the efforts should start if they want to reduce violent gun crimes.
edit on 20-6-2015 by morebeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Those many hoops is what makes me feel safe at night. I live in the centre of a notoriously rough town, kitchen windows always open and I never even lock my backdoor, I don't feel the need to live in constant fear.

I have no need for those hoops to make me feel safe. If you feel safe leaving things unlocked, hope you continue to be so lucky. Many aren't.

But you can be paranoid if you want, it is your right. Lock your house up like a fortress and sleep with loaded semi-auto under your pillow, constantly afraid that the boogeymans coming for you. What a horrible way to live.

Paranoid? Having a tool ready to fix a problem isn't paranoia...sorry. Locking windows and doors is only a sensible precaution these days. Don't need a semi-auto...my .38 Smith and Wesson revolver is sufficient, and it's not "under my pillow"--how unsafe would that be? Geeze. Constantly afraid? No. Because I don't need to be. Odds are, it's never going to happen. Horrible way to live? Taking sensible precautions is horrible? You'll need to explain that one to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join