It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The East India company deals in opium to China

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Honestly, I did not know. I'm astounded.

I think most people, do not know.

I've heard about it, but did not really believe it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Watch the BBC series "The Ascent of Money" DVD

The story of the opium trade through Hong Kong is mentioned in it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Vietnam, Afghanistan mmmmm

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The opium trade facilitated by the British East India Company is one of the most fascinating and disturbing episodes of trade-gone-awry in the 19th Century. I received three undergrad degrees in college, one of which was history. Within that field, my geographic focus was actually eastern Europe/Balkans region, but I did at one point take a class called "History of Modern China." In that class I learned a great deal about the opium trade of the mid-1800's. In my opinion, the corruption of the British monarchy at the time was most highly showcased when they publicly banned merchants from transporting opium out of China while simultaneously secretly supported and funded the East India Company's opium dealings. Truly a disgusting display of corruption, greed and disrespect for human welfare. Keep in mind that racism towards non-white, non-europeans at the time was particularly rampant, so unfortunately those in power in the British Empire and those running the East India Company probably slept quite soundly at night while their opium endeavors destroyed an entire generation of young Chinese and Taiwanese that got hooked on the stuff. I've seen old black and white photos of black tar opium balls the size of bowling balls stacked twenty feet high pyramid fashion with triumphant looking white male British East India employees in the foreground and slave-wage Chinese and Taiwanese workers struggling along in the background. Truly a horrendous episode in trade/drug history. If you are really interested in learning more about this subject, I strongly recommend the following text. I was assigned the book in college and got a lot out of it despite not always keeping up with the workload. Here you go:

Title: The Opium Wars: The Addiction of One Empire and the Corruption of Another
Authors: W. Travis Hanes III and Frank Sanello
Amazon purchase link: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443947059&sr=8-2&keywords=opium+wars

Keep on learning my friend.

a reply to: nOraKat

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Why is it that many firms are depended on china irrespective of the fact the economy is not that strong. Major companies like uber, tesla are entering in the china market. Dont Know Why!!. There are many more developing countries which are more suitable to invest than the china market which is saturated. After the china stock market crash in the start of the year I dont see any point in investing in such market.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join