It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google has been stealth downloading audio listeners onto every computer that runs Chrome

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Yesterday, news broke that Google has been stealth downloading audio listeners onto every computer that runs Chrome, and transmits audio data back to Google. Effectively, this means that Google had taken itself the right to listen to every conversation in every room that runs Chrome somewhere, without any kind of consent from the people eavesdropped on. In official statements, Google shrugged off the practice with what amounts to “we can do that”.

investmentwatchblog.com...

Goog le Chrome Listening In To Your Room Shows The Importance Of Privacy Defense In Depth

"Without consent, Google’s code had downloaded a black box of code that – according to itself – had turned on the microphone and was actively listening to your room."

Something that activates when you say “Ok, Google” must, by definition, be listening to what you say – and by extension, to any sound in the room.There is no other way to detect if you’re saying “Ok, Google”, with the possible exception of lip-reading through the webcam, which would not be any better at all.

There’s the issue of whether this is technically opt-in, opt-out, enabled, activated, and a number of other technical nuances. But the basic facts are there: Google downloaded eavesdropping software onto people’s computers without knowledge or consent, activated right this moment or not.

"Privacy remains your own responsibility."
edit on 19-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

How is whether or not you turned the function on simply a nuance?

If you don't enable it then it won't do anything. Are you really so paranoid as to believe that a computer system designed to accept voice recognition is somehow going to be spying on you as well? Really?

Please don't. We are better than this. Technology advances, that's how it works.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I doubt they are listening to every conversation out there. But they can if they choose, focusing on "suspicious" people.

You known, the search for patriots and all.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

More reason to avoid Google products.
Any chance, Google's business is not heavily reliant on the support of the US surveillance state?

Fascism is great for profit machines and operatives. I think that is why it's been so successful in the US.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I guess Google can listen to me fart when I am alone if they want to. And if I am up to no good. I will plan my shenanigans in my head or in a room without a computer.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

True, Google itself might not—and probably is not— spying on people, but once that technology is there—and activated— it could be used by a third party, say the government/NSA, if they were to tap or hack into it.

That's a problem.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I've been in a few of these threads lately. The wild assumptions won't stop, and if you try and inject reason you're likely to get attacked by someone who claims you're a nazi, or fascist, or who the heck knows what else.

Starred your post anyways.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
1. Don't use Chrome

2. Uninstall that function

3. Don't authorize your Microphone

4. Don't turn on your Microphone

Simple

Semper

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If you're that worried about Big Bad Evil Google eavesdropping on your "Me Time" sessions you can simply uninstall the microphone driver from your computer.

Or here's a shocker. Don't use Google Chrome.
Even better! Read your freaking EULA's. Nobody does, but if you took the time to even skim it you could make sure there's nothing there that says "By installing this software you agree to be a possible organ donor for Google CEO's"

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I don't use google neither have chrome in my computer, Google has become the worst nightmare when it comes to internet monopolies and their influence just keeps growing.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Sure, you can push or hold down a button and say, "OK, Google".

I have to push a button for Siri on my iPhone to active. If I just say "Hey, Siri" to my iPhone it'll do nothing and I'll look like an idiot.

We have the means to make helpful, non-invasive technology...

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
People really think that somewhere on the other end is a person sitting there, listening to them...giggling and feeling special because they can spy on YOU! *points*

If this was so prevalent, law enforcement would be using this. Lets say the cops want to know what a person was saying/doing in the weeks prior to a murder. Well, just ask Google for all the voice data he's spoken to in the living room while on the computer.

This isn't happening though.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

> "Are you really so paranoid?"

Yes. "The cost of privacy is eternal vigilance."

Use a VPN or Your Google Searches Are Public
www.privateinternetaccess.com...

It’s well known that many companies track netizens across the web. Such tracking has become an enormous internet industry, resulting in massive amounts of personal data being mined and then sold or used in retargeting. In general, most people have been unconcerned with this tracking, as it has been kept very low key and, thus, out of view from most of society. However, we’ve just discovered something which serves as living proof that our privacy is in serious jeopardy. At least one website has been identified which makes your search traffic publicly available to the internet in its entirety, including Google’s web crawlers.

Even using your browser’s private or incognito mode will not hide your IP. The only way to protect yourself is to be truly private by making your IP address invisible to these tracking sites in the first place. So next time you Google, please, use a VPN.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I've worked on networking technology and device drivers. From a programming viewpoint, the microphone input is just a stream of bytes. The audio output to the speakers and headphones is just a stream of bytes. Information transferred to and from the Internet is just a stream of bytes. That's how Skype and all those other chat programs work. How those streams of bytes are shared between computers and processed gives you all the other functionality like groups calls, conferences, alarm monitors. Voice recognition apps and music recognition apps work through the use of cloud computing. It's actually quicker recording the sound, sending it across the network, having a server do the matching, and sending the results back, than through processing straight on the device.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Okay Google requires NO button pushing..

My Android recognizes the phrase even when in stand-by mode..

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Alright, but i find it ironic that you feel that way considering your avatar features Spock. A character who lives in a universe where people are monitored constantly by voice activated computers. They don't seem all that paranoid about it.....

unless you count Section 31 but that's a whole other thing.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Is your camera/microphone set to ask permission?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Not on my Android... I use the "Okay Google" so much I leave it on..

On all my PCs? ... Yes

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

When your iPhone/iPad is plugged in and charging, you can activate Siri hands free by saying "Hey Siri". Depends on what op system is installed.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Why doesnt everyone simply unplug their microphone and camera when their not using them ??

easy enough !!!

u shouldnt have to, but if your worried about it, it takes two seconds.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join