It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Niel Young speaking out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Facebook © 2015

News Feed

Neil Young

Yesterday my song "Rockin in the Free World" was used in a announcement for a U.S. presidential candidate without my permission.
A picture of me with this candidate was also circulated in conjunction with this announcement but It was a photograph taken during a meeting when I was trying to raise funds for Pono, my online high resolution music service.
Music is a universal language. so I am glad that so many people with varying beliefs get enjoyment from my music, even if they don't share my beliefs.
But had I been asked to allow my music to be used for a candidate - I would have said no.
I am Canadian and I don't vote in the United States, but more importantly I don't like the current political system in the USA and some other countries. Increasingly Democracy has been hijacked by corporate interests. The money needed to run for office, the money spent on lobbying by special interests, the ever increasing economic disparity and the well funded legislative decisions all favor corporate interests over the people's.
The Citizens United Supreme Court ruling is proof of this corruption as well as are the proposed trade deals which would further compromise our rights.
These Corporations were originally created to serve us but if we don't appropriately prioritize they will destroy us. Corporations don't have children. They don't have feelings or soul. They don't depend on uncontaminated water, clean air or healthy food to survive. They are beholden to one thing - the bottom line.
I choose to speak Truth to this Economic Power. When I speak out on corporations hurting the common man or the environment or other species, I expect a well financed disinformation campaign to be aimed my way.
Such is the case with the reaction to my new album The Monsanto Years, which covers many of these issues. I support those bringing these issues to light and those who fight for their rights like Freedom of Choice.
But Freedom of Choice is meaningless without knowledge.
Thats why its crucial we all get engaged and get informed.
That's why GMO labeling matters. Mothers need to know what they are feeding their children. They need freedom to make educated choices at the market. When the people have voted for labeling, as they have in Vermont, they need our support when they are fighting these corporate interests trying to reverse the laws they have voted for and passed in the democratic process.
I do not trust self serving misinformation coming from corporations and their media trolls. I do not trust politicians who are taking millions from those corporations either. I trust people. So I make my music for people not for candidates.
Keep on Rockin in the Free World.
Neil Young

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Seems Neil's wishes will be respected

"Trump Campaign: We'll Stop Using Neil Young's Music"

"We won't be using it again," campaign manager Corey Lewandowski says. "There are plenty of other songs to choose from, despite the fact that Mr. Trump is a big fan and likes Neil very much. We will respect his wish and not use it because it's the right thing to do."

Read more: www.rollingstone.com...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
But had I been asked to allow my music to be used for a candidate - I would have said no.
I am Canadian and I don't vote in the United States, but more importantly I don't like the current political system in the USA and some other countries.

*snip*

As a Canadian and a Neil Young fan..... if that's the case then disallow your music to be used and then STFU.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Lol ... Knew I could trust you Intrepid to add your two cents ... Canadian cents that is

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I am a big fan of Neil Young's music. His politics not so much.

I am glad the Trump campaign will abide by his request.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I am a big fan of Neil Young's music. His politics not so much.

I am glad the Trump campaign will abide by his request.

that was short and sweet.. I agree with all the parties involved.
Imagine that. Can I see more of that please. Lets do it again. More agreements. More respect.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet
Maybe the Donald can use some "Rage Against the Machine", "No Shelter Here", better fit.

edit on 17-6-2015 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
No no no.

This should the Donald's signature campaign song:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

or perhaps this one....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Appreciate the humour

Not really into dissing Donald Trump or his campaign as I am not a USA citizen ... so it is non of my business and also I know very little of him

However as an outside observer I would be amazed to see Donald Trump as your next president

I am a fan of Neil Youngs music however and respect him as a Human Being

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
His whole speech was comical!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

Spot on Neil Young.
That's the same reason i loved Bob Marley and UB40 in their early years.
Songs for the people by the people.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Doesn't copyright laws apply to Canadian music?

Neil should sue Trump for copyrights infringement, or if the record company has sold the rights to Trump, then let him use it and enjoy the extra royalties. Most music made by the music industry is owned by the company, not the artist. If Neil sold his soul to the record company, then he has to live with that decision.

Maybe, if his contract gives him some rights to say how the music is used, he can have a say, but I don't think the record companies would allow that if it cuts into the potential profits from their revenue stream.

Personally, as much as I like what Neil has said, I think he is being a cry baby. If you sell away your rights to your creative products, then you have no say, it's not your product anymore. Eventually his music will become public domain, then anyone can misuse his music, of course Neil would be long dead at that point.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Here is a link ... scroll down to see vid which explains further why Trump was in infringement of copyright law regarding Neil's song being used for political reasons

www.cbc.ca... the-presidency-more-than-a-stunt-1.3116898
edit on 18-6-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

top topics

join