It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of recruits in the US military? Gee I wonder why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
article

Defense Secretary Ash Carter acknowledged Wednesday that the U.S. will fall far short of its goal of training 24,000 Iraqi recruits by this fall, telling Congress the effort has been slowed by a "lack of trainees." Carter told the House Armed Services Committee they've only gotten enough recruits to train about 7,000 Iraqi security forces, plus 2,000 counterterrorism service personnel. "We simply haven't received enough recruits," Carter said.

Wow, how could that be? It's not like Christians don't want to enlist because they are discriminated against.

article
article
article

Oh wait, they are. Maybe when the politicians running our country extend the same constitutional rights to our service men and women that our citizens enjoy, maybe more people will consider signing up? Something to think about.

We have the constitutional right to religious freedom and freedom of speech. We do not have the right to never be offended. Keep that in mind the next time you are annoyed by an evangelist. I would rather live in a country were people are free to evangelize, than live in a country that imprisons or executes people for practicing a faith (such as some ME countries with Sharia law). If these constitutional rights offend you so much, maybe you shouldn't be serving in our country's military? Go join ISIS or something. Just my two cents.

It's also ridiculous that Christians are silenced in the military, but our military bends over backwards to accommodate people practicing other faiths:
No some people don't have to shave their head or cut their beard to serve in the US military
Biased much? I'm sure there are enough American Sikhs out there to cover the difference in recruitment numbers.

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Uh...you do understand the article is about the IRAQI military, right?

Like....the U.S. military isn't trying to recruit 24,000 Iraqis to put on a "US Navy" name tape.

Yea.....

ETA - oh, and just to really, really clear things up? The military hasn't failed to meet recruiting goal in several years.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 17-6-2015 by Shamrock6 because: ETA. Because it's so ludicrous it needed it.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Uh...you do understand the article is about the IRAQI military, right?

Like....the U.S. military isn't trying to recruit 24,000 Iraqis to put on a "US Navy" name tape.

Yea.....

I totally agree. Not the U.S. Military they're talking about.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ya...... Uhh... I don't even need to say it but, way to lose reading comprehension through your fog of biased ideas..

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Okay I read that article completely wrong. I thought they needed to recruit more people for the Iraq war.

Mods please delete this thread. Thanks.

I have to ask why is our country recruiting people in another country to fight for that country? Does the United States need to teach Iraqi's how to wipe their asses, as well? You can understand my point of confusion...

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's about about 5 years since the twitter/new agey hipsters generstions have manifested en mass.

I'll bet my life savings, the military recruitment of all countries diminishes over the next 20 years.

Shouldn't, but I'm going to say it, today's bred generations are fearful, entertainment-freak pus*ies who couldn't self defend themselves with a tank vs a cougar.

Some serious passivity en mass, the world over going on. Me belives this is coming from the; dependant, lazy, careless, entertainment is everything, poor diet, ignorant types spawning all over earth.

Needless to say, if WW3 drops, for sure there won't be a WW4 lol!

ETA - I'm aware OP misunderstood. But my comment still relates to military overall.
edit on 17-6-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Well the us caused the mess iraq is in and have a duty to help clean it up.
edit on 17-6-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Frankly, no. I don't understand your confusion. I didn't even read your article before I knew how wildly knee-jerk your reaction was.

Beyond that, it's kind of silly to ask the mods to delete your thread and then continue asking questions, isn't it?

It's called "nation building." Agree with the Iraq War (which, by the way, is over) or not, we tried to install a new government. Part of that is a new military. Sorta goes hand in hand.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Why is the US recruiting Iraqis to fight a war in Iraq, their home country? I wonder...

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

That's not how it works.

Hand a country off to a government and have the government collapse in on itself in a matter of months.

Had we stayed there wouldn't an issue right now.

"We" don't have a responsibility in Iraq what so ever.

They asked us to leave, they deal with the ramifications.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

We have the constitutional right to religious freedom and freedom of speech.

While I don't agree with it, service members lose their rights when they sign up.
So you can't really make that stance when it comes to being in the military.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I think the west does have a duty to help the iraqis. We helped create ISIS and frankly should be doing more to get rid of them.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

BMI is our military's downfall!

Hell, most people in the NFL would not qualify to join the military because they are too fat!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
Okay I read that article completely wrong. I thought they needed to recruit more people for the Iraq war.

Mods please delete this thread. Thanks.

I have to ask why is our country recruiting people in another country to fight for that country? Does the United States need to teach Iraqi's how to wipe their asses, as well? You can understand my point of confusion...

While I can't understand your point of confusion (the headline of the article at your link is pretty straight forward), I can understand your question that I bolded.

I think the answer lies within the history of that area--you think Americans are tired of war, imagine living in a region where war truly is perpetual. I joined the U.S. Army during peace time and got out after 9/11 happened, but before I had to deploy (and I'm okay with that), but can you imagine joining up knowing that, without doubt, you will be going to war? It doesn't matter when you join--there will be some sort of fighting going on in your area. I would have gone to war if I had to--I knew what I was potentially getting myself into when I raised my right hand and said the oath--but I'm glad I never had to, and I certainly would have thought twice before joining if it were during war time.

That may be a bit simplistic, but I think that, coupled with the reality that many probably do not want to fight for what the U.S. thinks is best for their nation, is why it's so hard to get people to fight on "their" behalf over there.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: 200Plus

I think the west does have a duty to help the iraqis. We helped create ISIS and frankly should be doing more to get rid of them.

At some point, we need to just slowly back away. If we help fight ISIS now, we'll probably create another faction in the process. It's perpetually terrible for us to be involved in wars happening halfway around the world...many of which I'm unconvinced that we are not helping cause.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Can't do that. Give em too much room/time and they start exporting drama... I currently enjoy only a very mild fear of Muslim extremists due to my proximity to dearborne mi, if we give them Iraq and all the money that'll change eventually, for the whole world.

Not to mention all the people in Iraq that will be put through sharia law and all that insanity in the process who are begging for help(who seem to run away more often the fight tho for whatever reason) a large portion of the area wants our help and always has.
edit on 17-6-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

While I don't agree with it, service members lose their rights when they sign up.
So you can't really make that stance when it comes to being in the military.

The Military is subject to the UCMJ. Before they sign on the dotted line they are informed about the limitations being placed on their rights.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The fact you got as many stars as you did is troubling to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

You do realize you have already lost that bet, right?

If there is a World War III the recruitment will certainly not diminish...so how do i go about collecting your life-savings?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join