It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Else See a Meteor in Pennsylvania Tonight?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm just putting this here because I don't think it's sciency enough to go in space. I live in the central part of Pennsylvania in the United States and it was probably around 9:30-10PM that I saw what I think was a meteor burning up. It was fair sized.

I was looking up and happened to catch a bright white light. At first I thought it was a planet, but it was moving! It slowly traveled across the sky and then began to fade and get more dim and changed to more of an orange as it shrank and eventually disappeared as it traveled.

Was just wondering if anyone else caught it. It was quite the sight to behold. It was a pretty fair sized one I'd say just by how far it traveled in the sky and how slowly it burned down. I've seen meteor showers before, but it was nothing like that! It was excellent as I've never seen anything like that before.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Myomistress

Hmmm.
Not much attention it seems here!
My first thoughts were meteors are very common, but "shooting stars" are usually very fast moving before they fade. But then you said planet sized (like a star) but moving slowly before it faded.
That made me think perhaps you were seeing a large man-made satelite, or possibly the ISS? Just catching the sun enough to grab your attention?

If it was more fireball like though, it would have been far more spectacular.

EDIT
(Thought I'd quickly check, seems to me the ISS was going overhead at about 9:30pm!)

I think I'm using the site correctly!?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Such a quiet thread! Seems to me that it was the ISS, have you seen the ISS pass overhead before Myomistress? This fits perfectly in your time frame, on the correct day. The red line on that pic shows where it would have been lit up by sunlight. I forgot to link the site before.
ISS location link

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

No, I've never seen the ISS pass over before, but if it were that and not a meteor, that still sounds equally as cool!
I'm happy that I was able to catch something like that just happening to look up to the sky.
I'll have to look up some youtube videos to compare to what I saw, but it was probably the ISS.

It kind of looked like Venus does in a night sky when it's going to set and gets very bright. That's why I thought it was a planet but Venus was behind me. And yeah, it traveled, got smaller, turned a bit red, and then was gone out of sight.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Myomistress

Yeah that very much sounds like you caught a good glimpse of the ISS, very lucky! I've been wanting to see it for what seems like an eternity, but never can get myself organised. The turning red sounds like the rebounded light off the solar panels was getting lower and lower on the horizon thus increasing the amount of atmosphere to travel through - so it went red like a sunset. My best guess anyways. I'm no expert on these things, so whilst it fits it's not necessarily a 100% slam dunk. Maybe 95%?

new topics

top topics

join