It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60,000 Manufacturing Plants Closed Since 2001

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
New generations of young workers, while more educated and with more skills never will remember that Americas bread and butter was indeed the manufacturing business, people that work in manufacturing were able to be none dependent of the government, raise families, buy necessities and keep mom at home.

They were known as the middle class working force and a force it was because they also were able to influence politics and the outcome of the nations law decisions.

Today's America is a far cry of what used to be, but rest assure, you may no have a job but heck you can still afford that latest gadget thanks to those that still work and pay taxes.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I'm outa this thread. The OP "feels" he's entitled. Can't figure out that he has to prove it, prove that he's a good employee. Or even start his own business, but noooooo, too tough, not fair. He is the epitome of the crybaby generation that needs to learn to get with it, make good things happen. Small steps at first leading to better things as they learn. Choose your career people then go all out to get your foot in the door at any level. Sheesh, what's so difficult to understand?

STM
edit on 17-6-2015 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: seentoomuch

What are you trolling?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

What are you trolling?

And there it is! You just proved the point being made. You need to get out of the "I'm stuck here, whaaa, nobody cares, whaaa" attitude. There are people with much less that came here with even less that made tough choices and decisions and succeeded.

Success often requires sacrifice and dedication.

Two things, it seem from what I've seen here, are sorely lacking in your responses.

edit on 6/17/2015 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

oh God.

Did you read the article or have anything to say about the topic?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

oh God.

Did you read the article or have anything to say about the topic?

Deflection away from the discussion....another negative trait IMO. I lived through it all from the early 70's dude. I trained my replacements in China and India over those years. I retrained myself 3 times (going on the 4th right now). SO, what was that you were complaining about again?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Try this on for size.

Mind your own business. I lived in Palm beach almost two years ago.

2 years ago, really? Huh. Could have sworn you were complaining about the lack of good work around WPB after we left FL last autumn. 2014. Which lead to trying to help you out with regional job ideas in FL through suggesting looking in to the TB area.

In case you're having a hard time discerning it, I'm being a little sarcastic, in that I don't exactly believe whatever you're trying to get people to believe about you any more. If you really do live in CA, why keep up the charade & continue to lead people to believe you live elsewhere? People gave you sound employment advice for areas in that state (FL) for nothing. Nice.
edit on 6/17/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

You guys want to talk about me?

Do you have an infactuation with talking about me or do you want to stick to the topic?

I run my own business. I built my own website, I create my own logos, I manage my client base with fantastic customer service skills and I charge rates starting at 30$ am hour and all the way up to 50.

I advertise myself and do all the legwork.

Don't tell me a damn thing.
edit on 6/17/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Lol, how is it that people think this is some new phenomenon? People have been predicting this for like 50 years, ever since the advent of hardcore globalization. Read some essays by Robert Reich, the guy was literally telling us what would happen decades ago.

It's all service sector now. If you won't (or can't) do service sector, you're sh*t out of luck.
edit on 17-6-2015 by DiggerDogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DiggerDogg

The information is old but remains relevant.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Good thread. I just started this one yesterday:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wasn't aware this one existed. It's a different topic but the same overall focus- "free trade" and how economists have warped the idea to fit with chasing cheap labor across the globe.

It's not so much the politicians, people need to realize. It's mainstream economists who have absolutely forced their views and ridicule anyone who dare question their version of "free trade". They. Are. Scum.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seentoomuch
I'm outa this thread. The OP "feels" he's entitled. Can't figure out that he has to prove it, prove that he's a good employee. Or even start his own business, but noooooo, too tough, not fair. He is the epitome of the crybaby generation that needs to learn to get with it, make good things happen. Small steps at first leading to better things as they learn. Choose your career people then go all out to get your foot in the door at any level. Sheesh, what's so difficult to understand?

STM

Offshoring productive capabilities whilst "insourcing" cheaper labor is n attack on the American working class. There is no "capitalist magic wand" to wave in order to create millions of new living wage jobs in America to replace those being offshored.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Governments need debt slaves, Fact!!!
You have two choices. become one or go off grid. The Hippies scared the # out of the governments in the 60's...ever wonder why?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
All the people in this thread acting like America is a meritocracy, with plenty of living wage jobs for all, are way way disconnected from reality.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Says an academic, sheesh. If there's a will, there's a way, make it happen. There's room for new businesses and production in the US. Put your mind to it. If overhead and pricing are balanced it is possible. I know this for a fact.

STM
edit on 17-6-2015 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I guess its safe to say 60,000 manufacturing plants opened in Mexico, India, China, Philippines and American Corporations and there shareholders made a lot of money along with there tax breaks they got???

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
There are two things going on that I can see that are driving this.

First, the CFOs of companies along with teams of accountants, are squeezing every last penny out of companies. And the reason is twofold; the shareholders DEMAND it, and white collar greed drives it. So they strip the companies down to the bone, cutting bonuses for workers, benefits, overtime, throwing the older higher paid workers out in the street to get cheaper people. And it NEVER ends, until the company just implodes when they cant extract any more. I saw this happen to one of my former employers, the company was open for over 35 years, employed hundreds of people, then they started the cost cutting spiral, started outsourcing all the work, and finally so much of the work was outsourced they just shut it down. This is happening ALL over the country and we are losing good tech jobs by the millions.

Second, is that the fierce competition for the lowest pricing is driving companies to do what I just stated above in addition to the other stated factors. If you dont make it cheap enough for your customer, they will shop until they get it cheaper. So in addition to keeping the shareholders happy and meeting the payroll, they have to continuously cut costs to be price competitive. Its driving pricing down which is resulting in more and more cost cutting, and its self fulfilling.

The problem is we have ultra cheap labor overseas and no protections against importing the cheap goods to level the playing field. Until we start enforcing import tariffs to protect our domestic jobs it will just get worse and worse.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seentoomuch

Says an academic, sheesh. If there's a will, there's a way, make it happen. There's room for new businesses and production in the US. Put your mind to it. If overhead and pricing are balanced it is possible. I know this for a fact.

STM

Good old mind over matter. Too bad the actual numbers don't mesh with this attitude. There are not enough living wage jobs in America. Period. The average working American is $15-20k in debt. Since the 1970's, when mass offshoring began, the wage gap has massively increased. Think of it as a game of musical chairs, there are only 3 chairs and 100 people fighting for the chair.

All these personal anecdotes about job openings in Texas or your company hiring etc has mesh all to do with the American economy in general. Millions are being thrown into jails/prisons. Even more millions are working in low wage dead end jobs generating nothing but either debt or welfare (while working).

Even STEM and construction jobs are going to the lowest bidder. in CA most large construction forms hire non legal workers and pay them far below what most Americans need to survive. Tech companies have been colluding in order to drive down wages:

www.engadget.com...

Even worse:

pando.com...

Some blasphemous economists are finally starting to publish papers exposing the impact "free trade" has had on American blue collar workers. Poverty, debt, hopelessness etc is seeping upward to the once famed "middle class". It's not just blue collar jobs disappearing now, doctors, engineers, programers, technicians you name it, if it can be offshore'd or "insourced" it's happening.

Looking at the situation through personal eye's, on the micro, doesn't address the systemic issues at hand. Even if you attempt to do so I'll ask you a few questions- what do you do for a living? Your spouse? Do you have kids? How old? What do you think they plan to major in?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JeanPaul

My company produces products that are sold worldwide for many years now. They are all made in the USA. The lowest paid employees earn a living wage but most of the employees earn much more. We have a great 401K plan, paid vacation, paid sick leave, health insurance/dental and really nice christmas bonuses. My husband passed several years ago, he was a tax lawyer and was not involved with the business though he did give advice from time to time. My son is grown and is a psychologist and works in the education field.

So tell me, what do you do for a living? What about your children? What are your plans?

Or have you already caved?

I haven't given up on America, have you? If I, a non-academic can have a company with made in america products surely you must be able too? I know you will claim this is micro, what would it take to make this macro? The norm for America?

STM

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
You have a very personal perspective on what's happening we are discussing the bigger picture.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join