It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60,000 Manufacturing Plants Closed Since 2001

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rawo6592
I read somewhere that manufacturing jobs were increasing in US now.

They have been increasing from the low in 2010.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Actually, the common sense advice already posted and the following would be a great addition to our school system. Work Ethics 101 - "How to Get a Job in the Field You Are Interested In"

1. No Attitude - You are new at this company and know nothing about it. Prove yourself by being on time and attentive.

2. Volunteer - There's always moments when said company needs someone to step in and help.

3. Listen and Learn how this company functions.

4. Offer improvement advice in a nice way. Let them know you're with them and want to help.

etc, etc…

STM
edit on 17-6-2015 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The governments of the west DO NOT work for their respective peoples'.
Quite possibly the same everywhere else too.

The only way the u.s is surviving as the u.s is if the dollar is removed and replaced with a worldwide currency, which btw puts the bankers in an altogether different league.

I'm not so sure the great creator imagined lives of misery for us, but well done big chap, mission accomplished.
I'd like to be recalled please.

edit on 17-6-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Here something from the Dallas Federal Reserve that shines a little light on how things are going down here.

Other measures of current manufacturing activity reflected continued contraction in May. The new orders index held steady at -14.1, and the growth rate of orders index held steady at -15.2, marking the fifth and seventh negative reading in a row for these indexes. The capacity utilization index edged down to -11.6. The shipments index fell nearly 8 points to -13.2, with more than 30 percent of firms noting lower shipment volumes in May than in April.

Perceptions of broader business conditions worsened further this month. The general business activity index fell to -20.8 in May, its lowest reading since June 2009. The company outlook index moved down to -10.5, also hitting a low not seen since summer 2009.

Labor market indicators reflected employment declines and shorter workweeks. The May employment index declined 10 points to -8.2, after rebounding slightly above zero last month. Twelve percent of firms reported net hiring, compared with 21 percent reporting net layoffs. The hours worked index fell from -5 to -11.6.

This is the Texas manufacturing survey for May 2015.

edit on 17-6-2015 by quercusrex because: details

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: charolais

Your math is off, it is 70 per plant.

Wow do I feel like a dunce now! Too early and not enough coffee

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Hey, at least you have affordable healthcare.

Oh, yeah....wait.

If nothing else, people can look forward to flipping burgers for $15/hr now. Right? When "high paying" jobs get shipped off shore, the apparent answer is to pass a law to make it seem like low paying jobs are now high paying jobs.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I know that's a big issue. Apparently people want to ignore what's happening. They may not of all been exactly high paying but they were enough to live on and possibly take night classes with and pay for college.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

Yeah I think a recall and the big guy upstairs can try rewriting our software with a little less ego and greed.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ok i'm from Britain but what I don't get is why such a massive country needs to shift factories abroad? Why not stop dealing with the rest of the world, I mean literally just work within the USA, with an internal market of 300,000,000 whatever populatin and massive land mass for resouces and energy why do you need to mport and export? Just draw the bridge up and problem solved, everything will be made in USA for sale in USA. Remember 100 years ago.................You didn't sell nothing to China then or buy anything from China then,why not go back to the way it was?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
Here something from the Dallas Federal Reserve that shines a little light on how things are going down here.

Other measures of current manufacturing activity reflected continued contraction in May. The new orders index held steady at -14.1, and the growth rate of orders index held steady at -15.2, marking the fifth and seventh negative reading in a row for these indexes. The capacity utilization index edged down to -11.6. The shipments index fell nearly 8 points to -13.2, with more than 30 percent of firms noting lower shipment volumes in May than in April.

Perceptions of broader business conditions worsened further this month. The general business activity index fell to -20.8 in May, its lowest reading since June 2009. The company outlook index moved down to -10.5, also hitting a low not seen since summer 2009.

Labor market indicators reflected employment declines and shorter workweeks. The May employment index declined 10 points to -8.2, after rebounding slightly above zero last month. Twelve percent of firms reported net hiring, compared with 21 percent reporting net layoffs. The hours worked index fell from -5 to -11.6.

This is the Texas manufacturing survey for May 2015.

My company went down in orders and shipping in the northeast during those time frames due to weather and drove my numbers down, so I wouldn't take a stance on them. I'm sure it was the same for many manufacturers.

STM

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

The stock exchange.

Start looking at the major banks in the US and look who owns most of the shares and then do a comparable analysis of the major investment institutions and look at how they are all tied together.

Read about the history of the stock exchanges and the east India company I found a lot of it to be very relevant to today's markets and interesting history.
edit on 6/17/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
God dammit, this again, OQ? I know you're in the pits about being stuck in WPB & having your carpenter/boxing coach/trucker (am I missing a career change this month?) cash sucked from your pocket because of your high-rent region, but dammit all, are you just going to post thread after thread, or are you going to do something about it? Augustus is spot-on, you've got to toss your feelers out further than your zip code these days & be willing to take a blind jump instead of wallowing on a forum day after day, week after week, month after month.

I've given you decent tips before on heading over to Tampa, and I'll continue to offer tips for that region if you want. You're not going to get a spacious 2 or 3 bedroom rental, but you'll at least be able to afford your rent in a 1 bed (or studio, if you care to save for moving out of state) there as a single man, as opposed to watching every penny disappear to $2k a month to a studio apt where you are.
You're still going to be one of the po' folk, but better off than your current sitch. Building & remodeling is ongoing in Tampa Bay, you'll get hired as a carpenter. If you can still drive a truck commercially, Port of Tampa, Port Manatee, various distribution warehouses across the bay counties. Those drivers ARE needed right now. Do I have to PM you a list of companies over there to hit up or something? If you can't get out of the state, you can at least relocate before you're homeless in richville on your coast. It's a better option than wallowing, right?
edit on 6/17/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

They were the foundation of America. Mom and dad could both work and make a decent life for their family.

Not everyone is made for computer related work. America has a hell of a lot of good, hard working people sitting idle for no reason

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I live in California, and I still and will always be teaching people how to fight.

Oh and Fyi the rent is way higher here.

Oh and I lost topics I find interesting.
edit on 6/17/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I live in California, and I still and will always be teaching people how to fight.

Oh and Fyi the rent is way higher here.

Oh and I lost topics I find interesting.

So when did that happen? You used to live in West Palm Beach, whined about it a lot about the CoL there while dodging other FL posters' tips for other parts of the state.

Color me a bit suspicious now.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seentoomuch

Agreed that this can be a factor, but the survey's numbers show low consistently for several months.

I would also add that the article in the OP is a Huffpost editorial that links back to data from the webpage of a very old, large, and extremely well funded lobbying group. ( Ralph Nader's old outfit.)

They do have an ax to grind and politicians to influence.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

And the data they use stops at 2010 (the nadir of the manufacturing decline) even though it was publsihed in 2013 after more than 2,000,000 jobs were added. Cherry picking of numbers demonstrates intellectual dishonesty.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Try this on for size.

Mind your own business. I lived in Palm beach almost two years ago.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter
Isolationism is not an option for any country that wishes to still be an independent country in the next 25 years.

The resources required, to continue on our current path, come in two flavours:

Cheap and dirty.
Expensive and clean.

If they choose cheap and dirty, there is going to be serious issues watering and feeding the current population, let alone any additional growth.

If they choose expensive and clean, they will have been grossly surpassed by the rest of the world while developing the resource production.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
a reply to: seentoomuch

Agreed that this can be a factor, but the survey's numbers show low consistently for several months.

I would also add that the article in the OP is a Huffpost editorial that links back to data from the webpage of a very old, large, and extremely well funded lobbying group. ( Ralph Nader's old outfit.)

They do have an ax to grind and politicians to influence.

It was a tough winter as have the last several. If people can't get to the store to buy your product they don't order to refill the shelves. And when the orders come in for product they sit in warehouses midway due to the weather. It happened enough to make a major difference. Business was fine everywhere else in the U.S. This winter was pretty intense.

STM
edit on 17-6-2015 by seentoomuch because: clarification

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join