It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did some U.K. Researchers just discover life was seeded by aliens?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Some researchers in England may have just discovered that life was seeded by aliens. They took a sample from a high altitude balloon and discovered a tiny metallic sphere that was about as wide as a human hair. They found filamentus life on the outside and gooey biological liquid oozing from the center. It appears the object hit the collector at a high speed rather than just floating into it. There are different theories about this.....

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I seem to recall this story from about a year ago. I also seem to recall that no aliens were involved....

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: admirethedistance

I should have checked first, my apologies. It does look like this was a topic back in Feb. of this year. My apologies on the dupe.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
From the link…

discovered a tiny metallic sphere imbedded in the sampler. Astrobiologist Milton Wainwright describes the object: "It is a ball about the width of a human hair, which has filamentous life on the outside and a gooey biological material oozing from its center."

Heat from reentry into earths atmosphere would burn off whatever "filamentous life" they say they found on said "device".

More like supporting Panspermia than proving it, imo.

(post by Chrisfishenstein removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The University of Buckingham reports that the minuscule metal globe was discovered by astrobiologist Milton Wainwright and a team of researchers who examined dust and minute matter gathered by a high-flying balloon in Earth's stratosphere.

Link

No heat. It was inside the atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: data5091
Some researchers in England may have just discovered that life was seeded by aliens. They took a sample from a high altitude balloon and discovered a tiny metallic sphere that was about as wide as a human hair. They found filamentus life on the outside and gooey biological liquid oozing from the center. It appears the object hit the collector at a high speed rather than just floating into it. There are different theories about this.....

Way off topic and I know this has been covered before, but your interpretation of the story lead my mind to thinking of flicking a booger out of the window of my car going 60MPH and it hitting the windshield of another.....ALIENS!
edit on 6/16/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: admirethedistance
I seem to recall this story from about a year ago. I also seem to recall that no aliens were involved....

That's cool, so you were a part of the analysis team then?

You spent time at Buckingham University and came to the conclusion with your fellow colleagues?

Of course you didn't...

Perhaps a challenge to The Panspermia Theory by Professor Chandra Wickramasinge or Sir Fred Hoyle would suit you?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: data5091

It's a story from a year or so ago , Chandra Wickramasinghe and Milton Wainwright are known for these unverified claims in regard to Panspermia , it seems every year they find new evidence but don't put it up for peer review.

If I remember correctly they found a bit of a diatom and deduced it was ET.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: klassified

thanks. My source it seems is a few months or more late.....

edit on 16pm30pm5091 by data5091 because: typo

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld

originally posted by: admirethedistance

That's cool, so you were a part of the analysis team then?

You spent time at Buckingham University and came to the conclusion with your fellow colleagues?

Of course you didn't...

Perhaps a challenge to The Panspermia Theory by Professor Chandra Wickramasinge or Sir Fred Hoyle would suit you?

I don't believe I claimed any such thing. Thank you for trying to put words in my mouth, though. For future reference, any time you see Wickramasinghe's name, it's a safe bet that it's pure garbage.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Too find life "from somewhere else", you have to find it outside the atmosphere. Once its inside, the speculation is that its from inside the biosphere.

I read the link. Panspermia is life seeding from outside the atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: data5091

It's a story from a year or so ago , Chandra Wickramasinghe and Milton Wainwright are known for these unverified claims in regard to Panspermia , it seems every year they find new evidence but don't put it up for peer review.

If I remember correctly they found a bit of a diatom and deduced it was ET.

Got any links to other "unverified" claims?
Does "unverified" automatically make it untrue? Or just needing further analysis?
Does lacking peer review make it untrue? Or just lacking peer review?

I support the concept of peer review, but the current process is flawed at best. To rely on it as the holy grail of scientific confirmation is bad science in and of itself. Imho of course.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Too find life "from somewhere else", you have to find it outside the atmosphere. Once its inside, the speculation is that its from inside the biosphere.

I read the link. Panspermia is life seeding from outside the atmosphere.

Understood. However, there are variables we have no way to account for at the present. That doesn't preclude directed panspermia as a possibility in this case. It just means we need to know HOW it survived entry, IF it did.
I am neither pro or con on this, but I'm willing to look at possibilities, instead of dismissing every idea that doesn't fit my perception of reality.
edit on 6/16/2015 by klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Thanks for the suggestion, but I 'd rather listen to a person who was awarded Cambridge University’s highest doctorate for Science, the ScD, than an anonymous user on a conspiracy website.

If you know what I mean.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Does lacking peer review make it untrue? Or just lacking peer review?

If you're going to make claims like proof of ET life then I think peer review is essential , if they're confident of their findings what's to lose.

edit on 16-6-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: skyblueworld

In science, we can not challenge something that has not been published or presented for peer review. As such, Chandra and Fred have nithing more than their pet hypothesis which plays no part or parcel in any theory. Panspermia itself is only a hypothesis, not a theory.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Understood. However, there are variables we have no way to account for at the present. That doesn't preclude directed panspermia as a possibility in this case. It just means we need to know HOW it survived entry, IF it did.
I am neither pro or con on this, but I'm willing to look at possibilities, instead of dismissing every idea that doesn't fit my perception of reality.

It got here the same way it gets everywhere in the Universe, somebody brought it.

If it didn't develop here (electric mud puddles), and it didn't survive reentry (burns up), and it wasn't magically poofed (like religion has us believe), then there is only one other alternative.

Call that impossible? I call it the most probable…

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
My perception of reality in regard to Chandra Wickramasinghe and Milton Wainwright has been shaped by the claims of Chandra Wickramasinghe and Milton Wainwright over the last few years .

Here's a report on this story from Feb 19, 2014 , at the end of the report they say the samples will be analyzed shortly to confirm whether they are ET or not .... over 12 months on and ? , I guess either the tests weren't done or the results didn't match expectations and weren't published.

If they were serious about their claims they would publish proper scientific data in proper scientific journals rather than the Journal of Cosmology who's reputation isn't great among other scientists.

The Journal of Cosmology is a supposedly-scientific journal. It was established in 2009, and, despite a press release claiming they were storming out in a huff as of May 2011, is publishing to the present.
In his comments on the 2011 "bacteria in a meteorite" brouhaha, PZ Myers described it thus: "the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth." Unsurprisingly, it is not in fact peer reviewed, despite claiming to be. It also has remarkably fast turn around times - with as little as 10 days between the actual experiment and final publication
rationalwiki.org...

edit on 17-6-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld

Thanks for the suggestion, but I 'd rather listen to a person who was awarded Cambridge University’s highest doctorate for Science, the ScD, than an anonymous user on a conspiracy website.

If you know what I mean.

I don't really care where they got their doctorates. Chandra Wickramasinghe and Milton Wainwright have shown many times over that they're scientific methodology is flawed -- they jump to conclusions prior to eliminating other possibilities and they refuse to submit their papers for independent peer review (probably because they themselves know that their methodology is lacking).

That makes any of their findings dubious at best. Maybe they are really onto something, but their methodologies are so lacking that they provide no way to independently corroborate their findings.

They basically just say "wouldn't it be cool if this metallic sphere was ET in origin?" or (another pet hypothesis of theirs) "wouldn't it be cool if the diatoms we think we found in the stratosphere came from deep space", but then offer no real verifiable evidence to back up these "wouldn't it be cool if..." statements other than wild speculation.

edit on 6/17/2015 by soylent green is people because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join