It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: President Reagan Carried a Gun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Just sharing a little newly-revealed 'Fun Fact' about America's greatest President since Lincoln.
If you've loved him already...you'll love him more.
If you've hated him already...well,...you know...

After the 1981 assassination attempt on his life, former President Ronald Reagan reportedly began carrying a gun almost everywhere he went, bestselling thriller author Brad Meltzer told MyFoxNY Monday.

Meltzer, who discovered the reported gun's existence for himself after speaking with a Secret Service employee at the agency’s museum, called it an “incredible revelation.”

Reagan reportedly carried the gun in his briefcase and would even take it on Air Force One, Meltzer said.

“I trust these [Secret Service] people around me, but if someone comes at me again, I want to be prepared,” Reagan reportedly said in explaining the action, according to Meltzer.

Meltzer said he immediately contacted former President George H.W. Bush, Reagan’s vice president, to confirm whether the story was true.

“Tell me more about that,” Bush replied, who apparently did not know about the gun, according to Meltzer.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It makes sense. I'm wondering if all presidents have to at least know gun basics? It seems like a good idea, just in case.

As he said, he trusted his security but if they're killed or injured, you could end up in a situation where you'd be on your own at least for a minute or two or even more depending on the location and circumstances.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I hate Reagan, but I don't care if he carried a gun or not. Exercising your second amendment right isn't a reason to hate him. Destroying this country's integrity and selling it out to the corporations while implementing many laws that jail large sections of the lower classes, that's another story.
edit on 16-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Too funny, the Gipper banging away, secret service ducking from both lines of fire…

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I hate Reagan, but I don't care if he carried a gun or not. Exercising your second amendment right isn't a reason to hate him. Destroying this country's integrity and selling it out to the corporations while implementing many laws that jail large sections of the lower classes, that's another story.

Yes, it is another story...but thanks for sharing your sincere hatred...and for caring enough to comment that you don't care about the actual topic.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Hey, you implied if I hated him, then this news would make me hate him more, and I am saying that you are wrong. This news doesn't change my opinion of him in the slightest.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Yes, it is another story...but thanks for sharing your sincere hatred...and for caring enough to comment that you don't care about the actual topic.

Well.. You kind of invoked that on yourself, really hard. Remember?

If you've loved him already...you'll love him more.
If you've hated him already...well,...you know...

If you would have left that out, you might have gotten a honest answer about presidents and gun-handling.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
HOAX ALERT!

1) IF the Secret Service allowed Reagan to carry around a gun, you can be sure they would have secretly disabled it beforehand.

2) The President doesn't 'carry' a briefcase.

3) Quote from the link: "Reagan was the first serving president to survive an assassination attempt"
Except for Jackson, Franklin Roosevelt, Truman, and Ford. Great fact-checking, MSM!

4) The fact that the source of this claim is described as an author of political "thrillers" should give you a clue as to his credibility.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: starviego
Of course Presidents carry briefcases:
walkingandtalking.com...

emaletas.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
HOAX ALERT!

1) IF the Secret Service allowed Reagan to carry around a gun, you can be sure they would have secretly disabled it beforehand.

2) The President doesn't 'carry' a briefcase.

3) Quote from the link: "Reagan was the first serving president to survive an assassination attempt"
Except for Jackson, Franklin Roosevelt, Truman, and Ford. Great fact-checking, MSM!

4) The fact that the source of this claim is described as an author of political "thrillers" should give you a clue as to his credibility.

Good call.

Rule #1: Consider the source.

But then... Nancy and Ronnie where a little wacky...
and I do believe the Gipper took his briefcase on AirForceOne
and I do believe there was a snub nose six shooter in there.
and I do believe Dutch knew how to point and shoot.
and I do believe the Great Communicator like to pull people's legs.
and I do believe the Teflon President wasn't the first 2pack.

The unbelievable part is "Poppy" acting surprised.

edit on 16-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka
The unbelievable part is "Poppy" acting surprised.

Actually, now that I think about it, if I had a Bush as my Vice-President, I'd probably want to carry a gun, too.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Carried it in a briefcase?

Must if been a master at getting that open in a split second if he needed to use it to defend him self.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The author of this claim is trying to sell his new book. This whole thing is an obvious publicity stunt.

www.nydailynews.com...
Brad Meltzer is a best-selling novelist and host of “Lost History” on the History Channel. His newest thriller, “The President’s Shadow,” is on sale this week at bookstores everywhere.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Carried it in a briefcase?

Must if been a master at getting that open in a split second if he needed to use it to defend him self.

I don't know how long it would've taken President Reagan to open his, but I can open mine in a couple of seconds.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Last I checked, most bullets can cross an area within 1 second. A few seconds would be WAY to long if you are taking fire or have a gun leveled at you.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Last I checked, most bullets can cross an area within 1 second. A few seconds would be WAY to long if you are taking fire or have a gun leveled at you.

What are we talking about here?

I don't think its intended use is defense.
If Dutch was packin' it was on principle.
It was to feel macho (not powerless).

A gun in a brief case. No story. Big so what.
A gun in a brief case on AirForceOne. Ditto.

Now a brief case with a built in quick-draw UZI
...that would a story. Those things were popular
back in the 80's. static.tvtropes.org...
Google: GITS Briefcase Machine-Pistol

edit on 16-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

lol...
'Bullets fast'.
Got it. Thanks, again, for sharing your wisdom, Krazyshot.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Well the OP states:

After the 1981 assassination attempt on his life, former President Ronald Reagan reportedly began carrying a gun almost everywhere he went, bestselling thriller author Brad Meltzer told MyFoxNY Monday.

So it isn't unreasonable to assume that he was carrying it for additional protection instead of machismo reasons.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

And i bet you would be the first to tell me you only have a split second to decide to shoot or not.

Isn't off body carry frowned upon?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Snide remarks aside, I'D never keep a gun in a briefcase regardless of how quickly I can train myself to open it and take out the gun. That is unless I also happened to have another gun on my person or something and just used that as a backup, but I'm not James Bond, so I don't see a valid reason to do something like that.
edit on 16-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join