It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Co-opting words/acronyms for disinfo purposes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I don't know if this is a "thing" or not...

Many times over the last several years, while trying to research a particular subject, I've found that keywords I use to Google for more information have taken on a new meaning, thus diluting my searches. I first noticed it in '08 or '09 while researching fraudclosure and MERS -- the Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems. Too often, my results directed me to information about the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome rather than the Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems.

I found the same phenomena as I researched "gender benders," the synthetic hormones and endocrine-disruptors that are wreaking havoc on our bodies and especially our reproductive health. Instead of receiving results regarding the drugs and other chemicals known as "gender benders," I received results about transgender/transsexual people. That seemed odd to me, as "gender bender" strikes me as a slur and derogatory term.

Then this morning, I read an article about a form of synthetic marijuana -- "K2" -- making people sick (aka "Spice"). Again, striking me as odd because K2 is a fat-soluble vitamin whose health and healing properties are receiving new attention. From the Wes ton A Price Foundation:

Vitamin K2 is produced by animal tissues, including the mammary glands, from vitamin K1, which occurs in rapidly growing green plants.

Much the same way our bodies convert beta carotenes from plants to Vitamin A, so our bodies convert Vitamin K1 from plants (including hemp and other cannabis species) to K2. But anyone trying to research the health benefits of Vitamin K2 -- especially regarding cannabis -- will be directed to the negative effects of a synthetic drug.

In every one of these instances, the "new" definition serves to obscure important information we all need about someone's bad behavior and how it affects us all.

Am I reading too much into this?

Or have other ATSers noticed anything similar?

ETA: If you have other examples, please do share. It can only help us refine and improve our research methods. Thanks in advance!

edit on 15-6-2015 by Boadicea because: punctuation

edit on 15-6-2015 by Boadicea because: ETA

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
Yeah, I've had similar experiences. Try doing a google search for "social engineering". What comes up initially, has nothing to do with the original meaning. It may be a mixed bag. Some of it intentional, and some just happenstance.

“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words." George Orwell - 1984

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: klassified
Yeah, I've had similar experiences. Try doing a google search for "social engineering". What comes up initially, has nothing to do with the original meaning. It may be a mixed bag. Some of it intentional, and some just happenstance.

“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words." George Orwell - 1984

Good old Orwell!!!

I can see immediately that "social engineering" would be a gold mine for those with political agendas. Thank you!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

To probably 90% of the world MERS is the disease not some mortgage thing (probably existing in just one country) I know i've never heards of the mortgage one.

K2 has and will always mean the second highest mountain in the world as again i'm sure it does to most people

Gender bender again i have been aware of this term as a derogatory one regarding LGBT and again that goes back decades so would probably most widely used.

That said word use does change over time - gay used to mean happy and carefree

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Yes but sometimes things just have the same acronyms.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Words change meaning all the time; sometimes they even have duplicate meanings. K2 is also the second tallest mountain in the world.

I first heard the term "gender bender" in reference to animes/mangas about characters that changed genders either magically, scientifically, or by just being a "trap" (boy who looks REALLY girly thus pretends to be a girl). The first gender bender manga I heard about was Ranma 1/2 and that came out in the mid 90's. So I'd say that the term "gender bender" has been through several different phrase changes.

Though the media or certain interested parties may manipulate the usage of a word so that people forget what it really means and use it in ways that make it hyperbolic. The expression, "land of the free" being used about a country with the highest incarceration rate in the world comes to mind.
edit on 15-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Seems to work okay…

MERS -- the Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems

However, if you type in just MERS

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb

To probably 90% of the world MERS is the disease not some mortgage thing (probably existing in just one country) I know i've never heards of the mortgage one.

I did consider that the Mortgage Electronic Registration system would be a USA thing; but wouldn't Middle East Respiratory Syndrome be at least an English thing? (I'm really wondering -- this isn't a rhetorical question?) I'm thinking the acronym would be different in other languages, especially where the virus is prevalent. Then again, we're now talking about the Arabic language, so it would change characters completely -- not just letters. I'll have to keep thinking on this.

K2 has and will always mean the second highest mountain in the world as again i'm sure it does to most people

Haha on me -- my ignorance on full display! I've never heard of the K2 mountain!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Yes but sometimes things just have the same acronyms.

Indeed!

I've reminded myself of that very fact time and time again... as I find the discrepancies time and time again!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
Haha on me -- my ignorance on full display! I've never heard of the K2 mountain!

K2

It's one of the toughest mountains in the world to summit. Even tougher than Everest (which is taller).

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Words change meaning all the time; sometimes they even have duplicate meanings. K2 is also the second tallest mountain in the world.

I think I may be the only person that didn't know that! (hanging my head in shame...)

I first heard the term "gender bender" in reference to animes/mangas about characters that changed genders either magically, scientifically, or by just being a "trap" (boy who looks REALLY girly thus pretends to be a girl). The first gender bender manga I heard about was Ranma 1/2 and that came out in the mid 90's. So I'd say that the term "gender bender" has been through several different phrase changes.

Interesting... I only just read the term recently. Again revealing my ignorance!

Though the media or certain interested parties may manipulate the usage of a word so that people forget what it really means and use it in ways that make it hyperbolic. The expression, "land of the free" being used about a country with the highest incarceration rate in the world comes to mind.

Well played!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Seems to work okay…

MERS -- the Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems

However, if you type in just MERS

Interesting. It does focus on the virus, including the info window on the right; but at least the Mortgage Electronic Registration System is linked below that (tho the searcher would have to scroll down for that.)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Well that's why we come to these forums right? To deny ignorance. Nothing to be ashamed of though; no one knows everything. The first step to denying it, is to admit your ignorance. Believe it or not, I learned about K2 from the SNES game Donkey Kong Country 3, which has a world in it titled K3 where the stages are you climbing a snow covered mountain. I just assumed that the game was lampooning an actual mountain and was later proved right when I looked it up. Glad we could fill in the details for you.

Though I do think there is some truth to what you said in your op. Various interested parties often manipulate the usage of a word or acronym to promote an agenda. We usually refer to such manipulation as rhetoric though.

As for Google. Google, is it's own brand of manipulation. Get on the wrong side of Google and watch searches for your website magically drop to the 50th page or so, or have websites that promote the exact opposite of your webpage get promoted above yours.
edit on 15-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

K2

It's one of the toughest mountains in the world to summit. Even tougher than Everest (which is taller).

Thank you! I decided I'd better google it and skool myself. I've heard of Everest of course... or maybe not "of course". Just shows we can learn something new every day. Especially on ATS!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
context is everything
- but if you didnt reallise that your self - how did you even get this far ?

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Though I do think there is some truth to what you said in your op. Various interested parties often manipulate the usage of a word or acronym to promote an agenda. We usually refer to such manipulation as rhetoric though.

And "propaganda." Or my hubby's favorite: "Weasel words."

As for Google. Google, is it's own brand of manipulation. Get on the wrong side of Google and watch searches for your website magically drop to the 50th page or so, or have websites that promote the exact opposite of your webpage get promoted above yours.

Ain't that the truth! But I have to admit that I can be a little ornery at times, and I continue to Google for the same reason I continue to vote... I know it's being manipulated, but I want to make damn sure they know we're out here looking for -- and often finding -- ways around their manipulation. Grrrrrr!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Creative search terms, often as far outside of google type influence as you can.. Easy enough, and it's a mental exercise that teaches you how to use analogy in learning. I use my own language, if I don't like how people now use words, or I explain my definitions over and over until people can talk to me..

use all the search parameters you can think of to knock off the wrong results. If you want to find the movie "Jupiter Rising" rather than "Jupiter Ascending" for instance, use quotation marks around words you can't afford to give up in the search results. " "... Use timing limits, to not get events from history of similar flavor.. All this good stuff.

Don't rely on searches alone.. follow rabbit holes. So links within sites, sources within stories.. Follow up on leads without search terms or search engines.

Skip things that are popular if you suspect popular opinion is being manipulated or it's wrong.
Skip things that are unpopular is you suspect this is a fine topic the powers don't mind..

Then do completely unrelated searches, until some strand randomly clicks into an old search.. Those random connections when enough are there can tell you what track you are on, like a map of truth.

Oh and the biggest one of ALL...

Make history happen.. Then THEY have to figure out the truth. You already KNOW..

edit on 15-6-2015 by knightlight because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2015 by knightlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: knightlight

Thank you! All excellent suggestions -- some I thought of and some I didn't -- but beneficial for everyone trying to find answers not easily found (whether by design or not).

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Hey if you ever distrust a Google search result, there is always Bing or Yahoo. I'd bet that most sites haven't pissed every search provided off to be buried like that. Plus I'm sure there is a search provider or two that doesn't do that. Though I wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head which they are.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: knightlight

I'm just bumping this thread to keep your post handy. That was all very good advice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join