It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19th Century basilica of Saint-Donatien engulfed in flames

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
French media are reporting the fire started about 10.30 today after morning Mass , it's said the fire has demolished three quarters of the Basilique’s roof and caused significant structural damage to the building.

Around 40 firefighters were deployed to the scene to try to extinguish the flames.
However the fire spread quickly, ravaging the rooftop of the historic building.
The blaze reportedly broke out at 10:30 local time (08:30 GMT), but the cause has not yet been established.
"I see flames still escaping," Rev Bertrand told BFM television.
Social media users shared images of the basilica, with smoke billowing from its rooftop.
www.bbc.co.uk...

It's always sad to see cultural treasures burning , the building will no doubt be restored but are they ever really the same afterwards ?

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Welcome to the Game France! I will be oneof your hosts when the start signal goes =)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is a catastrophe. These big, grand buildings define our history, whether you are religious or not.

I know the precautions to protect Salisbury Cathedral should there be a fire and fire crews from across Wiltshire (UK) are inducted in protecting that building. I imagine the French have similar precautions for their historic buildings.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
What a shame! Such a beautiful building!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

So sad... I've never been to Nantes but I was in Paris and saw several of these old, old basilicas and there's nothing so humbling as to step into something so old and beautiful. We don't know how to build like that anymore, which is fine... but restoration? It will never be the same, we've really got to treasure these testaments of our past.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

The sad thing is the fire service are saying the fire was started by roofing work which was being carried out at the time.

rederic Leguiller, head of Nantes’ fire operations, told Ouest France that the blaze began accidentally

He said: “We were alerted mid-morning to a small fire in the church. Workers were working on the roof at that time.

“They tried to extinguish the fire immediately, without success unfortunately. Significant resources have been deployed to try to contain the fire on the roof of the church, which is not easy because of the very large volume.”
www.catholicherald.co.uk...

The question in my mind is why are so many of these fires started by contractors.

edit on 15-6-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The problem with these buildings is that the wood is over 300 years old, and is tinder dry due to being at the top of the building. All the heat rises and dries out the wood. Normally they have sprinkler systems installed, but sometimes the installation of such a system sets off a fire.

new topics

top topics

join