It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook a Great Idea!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hi, im Andy7615 from the UK... For years I have read ATS and recomended it to others but never signed up, until I just read you can join via Facebook, simple and great to finally be a member!.... lets see what the future brings?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Andy7615

Welcome to ATS marra!

I think the FB login thing is a good idea too, I've been forever trying to get friends to join, making it easier for them might just convince them to do it (it might attract more troll types too sadly).

Also from the UK, England, Cumbria.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

edit on 14-6-2015 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I'm going to post the Signup link on FB.
The more the merrier.

Posted.
edit on 14-6-2015 by Cymru because: Confirm link was posted.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Welcome Mark, I mean Andy

I am going to be the devil's advocate and say do not link your activity on here to Facebook.

These forums are somewhat anonymous and you should keep it that way. A lot of heated arguments and people of all ranges of position and mental stability on here.

Keep yourself safe, and welcome to the party

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I half agree Mandroid7.
I have seen much more heated discussions on Farcebook.
However, given the site this is, does anyone think the Alphabet Agencies cannot tally up IDs?
Having thought about it, given ATS has a Twitter feed and Facebook page, does this not defeat the object of keeping accounts separate?
edit on 14-6-2015 by Cymru because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Yah, I'm sure they can get whatever they want, but farcebook will put their super herpes cookies on your computer and make it that much easier.

I'd be more worried about a diabolical super genius from the guild of calamitous intent getting pissed and tracking you down then a "omg, Becky, look at my cat fb person."

Facebook has gotten way too involved in the tracking and reporting areas for me.

It's a one stop shop for data collection, sold to corporations and handed to the authorities.

edit: just saw your edit. No I think ATS is still cool, as long as you are don't log into FB, then go to ATS without clearing all your cookies and cache. Thats how the link everything, w tracking cookies. Look at a wrench on Amazon, log on FB, and it's there immediately. Real name ties to FB, if you use it, id tracking cookies then link through any site you visit, giving your info up. as far as I understand it.

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: edit

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS.

Too bad about the facebook thing though.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
wouldn't touch facebook, so I don't really care, it might bring in some bored stay-at-homes. however, deletion of pets, selfies, kids, pictures posts are a must.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Hello and welcome!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
"Facebook a Great Idea!"

-------- No one ever
-------- Mark Zuckerberg
-------- National Security Agency
-------- Andy7615

edit on 14-6-2015 by VictorVonDoom because: Darn ubbcode

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Welcome and have fun. I am glad the Facebook login, is bringing in new people.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Welcome ...

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I would ditch facebook and never use it again.Welcome aboard
and I suggest you log on here instead of through facebook.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Andy7615
Hi, im Andy7615 from the UK... For years I have read ATS and recomended it to others but never signed up, until I just read you can join via Facebook, simple and great to finally be a member!.... lets see what the future brings?

If you already used this site, why didn't you join through it?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

originally posted by: Andy7615

If you already used this site, why didn't you join through it?

For cereal...Is this an intro or an advertisement?

"Match.com is wonderful, if i never went to Match.com, I would never have heard of ATS, I am thankful for Match.com, I have been here forever and I know how intros usually work, but Match.com...Match.com, thank you!"

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Your username is brilliant.

People will mistake you for being called 'Andy' - they do it to me all the time. Pah!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
edit: just saw your edit. No I think ATS is still cool, as long as you are don't log into FB, then go to ATS without clearing all your cookies and cache. Thats how the link everything, w tracking cookies. Look at a wrench on Amazon, log on FB, and it's there immediately. Real name ties to FB, if you use it, id tracking cookies then link through any site you visit, giving your info up. as far as I understand it.

No, that's not how it works… it's way off.

Cookies are only readable by the site/domain that wrote the cookie, and are not inherently "evil."

For example, we use several cookies here on ATS to manage several aspects of your session, from log-in to your light/dark color preference, and more. No one else but ATS can determine your username, preferences, etc. from the cookies we write.

So there is no reciprocity between Facebook and ATS cookies -- clearing your Facebook cookies does not make browsing ATS any safer/better/different. Keeping your Facebook cookies does not mean that "Facebook" knows you're browsing ATS.

Where the misconception comes in is via the third-party cookies typically set by advertising networks, or the services ad networks use to manage ad delivery. For example, Pubmatic is a popular impression aggregation service that help many ad networks understand any given anonymous Internet user -- I know the tech, it does not contain personally identifiable information. The reason it "appears" that Facebook "knows" you looked a wrenches on Amazon is because both Amazon and Facebook use Pubmatic for ad optimization -- only Pubmatic knows about the wrenches, not Facebook, and selects an Amazon ad for wrenches.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: Mandroid7

No, that's not how it works… it's way off.

Cookies are only readable by the site/domain that wrote the cookie, and are not inherently "evil."

For example, we use several cookies here on ATS to manage several aspects of your session, from log-in to your light/dark color preference, and more. No one else but ATS can determine your username, preferences, etc. from the cookies we write.

So there is no reciprocity between Facebook and ATS cookies -- clearing your Facebook cookies does not make browsing ATS any safer/better/different. Keeping your Facebook cookies does not mean that "Facebook" knows you're browsing ATS.

Where the misconception comes in is via the third-party cookies typically set by advertising networks, or the services ad networks use to manage ad delivery. For example, Pubmatic is a popular impression aggregation service that help many ad networks understand any given anonymous Internet user -- I know the tech, it does not contain personally identifiable information. The reason it "appears" that Facebook "knows" you looked a wrenches on Amazon is because both Amazon and Facebook use Pubmatic for ad optimization -- only Pubmatic knows about the wrenches, not Facebook, and selects an Amazon ad for wrenches.

Ok that makes much more sense, thanks for the clarification. I always get annoyed logging into FB and seeing my previous shopping list there.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS*

* However you got here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join