It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of the Misuse of the Term Americans.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
"American" has come to mean someone from the US... but I don't think we are "entitled" to it and we don't own the designation any more than Christians own the word "marriage". The fact that no other name works or is easy to say is really the problem.

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Ask someone from Nigeria if they're Nigerian or African. They will tell you they are Nigerian .

I dated an African man for over a year. He did say he was Ugandan, but he also said he was African, depending on the context.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Oh face it...If Great Britian had its way we'd all be British. Especially us Americans.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
And if Rome hadn't fallen I guess we'd all be Italian.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

a reply to: beezzer

I thought the accepted villainous term Was "Curses! Foiled again"
Some Snidly Whiplash you'd make.

Apologies, made the changes.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Haha! No I think most of us have given up on world domination plans these days, too busy filling potholes in our roads and whining about our weather.
...of course if you ever wish for a return to the motherland you will get a warmer welcome than the average EU nation lol

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

We're entitled to the name the same way someone from Egypt is entitled to the name Egyptian. Or someone from Russia is Russian or someone from Japan is Japanese. It's actually the name of the country. Canada is named Canada so they are Canadians. The only place on earth where your theory works is Australia which is the name of the country and the continent.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

That's been my understanding of "over there." When I was in the military we had some Brits at one of our schools and they were rather confused by the whole "African American" thing. They all seemed to think that the term should apply to Americans from Africa and not from, say, Oklahoma.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Good To know lol. Pretty much our way of life follows the British model anyway. Language(sort of lol) manners, model of government minus the monarchy. (With a little thrown in from Greece)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

There are actually no Australians. It is a myth. Nothing human could survive the heat, drop bears, or spiders on that continent.

It's like bigfoot, or Nessie, or the 2nd season of Firefly.

It just doesn't exist.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

How about United Americans?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Oh don't go getting in a snit now bez.
Rabbits with an attitude...shakes head.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: enament

That hardly describes us now does it? Have you seen the news lately?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

But what about Crocodile Dundee ???

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Oh don't go getting in a snit now bez.
Rabbits with an attitude...shakes head.

Sorry. Still upset about Firefly.

It's something I still have issues about, seeing a therapist for it though.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

But what about Crocodile Dundee ???

Crocodile Dundee is actually from Wales. I can say that with confidence because no-one ever admits they are from there.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
In speaking of the continent, I do say America, but when I am talking of the country specifically, I say the US (des Etats Unis).

But in refering to peoples of a nation and culture, I do say Canadians, or Americans, because United Statians is difficult to say (Etats Unisiens even worse).

I guess a movement could be started to make that politcally incorrect, and I'd make the effort if others were too.
But it seems like a lot of trouble for something rather unimportant.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
And of course the whole shebang goes down the toilet when these names also denote a race or culture.
The Japanese don't consider themselves Chinese and the Chinese don't consider themselves Japanese but they are both Asian which is a continent and a race and a culture.
I'm getting a headache.
At least no one mentioned reptillians in this thread.
Oh wait...

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Most folk here just look at citizenship and if you are British then that is how we identify ourselves regardless of ethnic origin. I've never heard anyone identify as African British, it even looks silly now I've typed it here.
Just texted a black mate and he replied that he doesn't know anyone who identifies as anything other than British but if we ever start doing that he see's it as divisive.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Hopefully that will help. At least you got over the whole weepy bunny thing. That shows improvement in assertiveness anyway.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

My ancestors were Welsh.

But we really don't talk about it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join