It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philae is alive , has called home from Comet 67P

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The European Space Agency say Philae has awoken and contacted Earth , they believe as 67P has gotten closer to the sun Philae is now receiving solar power.

Jean-Yves Le Gall, the president of France's CNES space agency, told AFP that Philae had sent signals for a period of two minutes "as well as 40 seconds worth of data".
www.bbc.co.uk...

Here's Philae's tweet.
Hello Earth! Can you hear me?

Welcome back Philae

edit on 14-6-2015 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Welcome back Philae, now get to work!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I think another factor is that the comet's spin axis is such that the seasons have changed and the sun's path across the sky above the ravine has gotten higher.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Just incredible!

Go science!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Dear ESA,

This is a hard snowball. If I wasn't an expert, I would say it's solid rock.

-Philae

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Yep I smiled when the news was announced earlier, it would have been such a pity if we'd never heard from it again.
I wonder if any of the 'electric universe' people smiled or were disappointed at hearing that we may learn some more evidence based information about comets now?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This new is huge! Wasn't expecting to hear this today, or ever to be frank. I thought lil Philae was a gonner.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is good news, and it seems that the Rosetta team will be able to locate the probe with more precision, now there is renewed contact.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I wonder if any of the 'electric universe' people smiled or were disappointed at hearing that we may learn some more evidence based information about comets now?

Why would they be disappointed? Anyone, 'electric universe' or 'old school' should be happy and hoping for much more scientific information to be returned.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN

Why would they be disappointed? Anyone, 'electric universe' or 'old school' should be happy and hoping for much more scientific information to be returned.

Ah I only suggested disappointment from the Electric Universe crowd because it is my opinion that they tend to not appreciate any evidence based information which may dispute their claims.
It is my assumption that now the lander has restarted we will learn nothing which supports the electric universe theory and this will of course disappoint those who believe such things.

I would be happy if the lander showed evidence either way as it is increasing our knowledge, but then I am 'old school' science willing to accept anything which changes previously accepted theories.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Great news!
Hopefully we will see some more pics soon and get some more data sent back.

Well played Rosetta/Philae team!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Why are there paintings on the rocks behind the lander, in the cartoon?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Now the scientists are waiting for the next contact. There are still more than 8000 data packets in Philae’s mass memory which will give the DLR team information on what happened to the lander in the past few days on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

blogs.esa.int...

Exciting!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Yep I smiled when the news was announced earlier, it would have been such a pity if we'd never heard from it again.

Well, science hasn't dissuaded them yet.

Can't see why anything Philae sends back will change their faith.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: shefskitchen
Why are there paintings on the rocks behind the lander, in the cartoon?

Perhaps it is a record of the the early civilization of the 67P'ons.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

The electric comet must have recharged Philae's batteries!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Shouldn't this thread be titled "Zombie Probe Re-animated ... and Hungry" (for sunlight) ??

Despite poor marketing, though, this is neat and I hope reams of descriptive data come in, once it updates and has some coffee.

Neat that we shot a bullet at a golfball and got the bullet to land on the ball... or something like that.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Was hoping thid would happen, this is amazing news. Hopefully we'll learn even more.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN

Because so far the Rosetta mission has completely debunked and invalidated the Electric Comet theory. More evidence will further debunk it. Already numerous threads going into that issue.

I was actually looking up Philae yesterday, no news, and today .. NEWS!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Let's dedicate a song for him..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join