It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pope's Encyclical - coming to a Thursday near you...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Or - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

For some, this is a long time coming

The most anticipated papal letter for decades will be published in five languages on Thursday. It will call for an end to the ‘tyrannical’ exploitation of nature by mankind. Could it lead to a step-change in the battle against global warming?

However, it is certain to anger sections of Republican opinion in America by endorsing the warnings of climate scientists and admonishing rich elites, say cardinals and scientists who have advised the Vatican.

But then again, for others - a kind of slow motion horror story guaranteed to make some pee their pants

In an unprecedented encyclical on the subject of the environment, the pontiff is expected to argue that humanity’s exploitation of the planet’s resources has crossed the Earth’s natural boundaries, and that the world faces ruin without a revolution in hearts and minds. The much-anticipated message, which will be sent to the world’s 5,000 Catholic bishops, will be published online in five languages on Thursday and is expected to be the most radical statement yet from the outspoken pontiff.

I'm not Catholic, and I can't possibly agree with Francis on everything - but I am definitely feeling the love. What an ally this planet potentially has in il Papa. Though, I'm sure there are many that disagree...

That's why this thread :-)

What do you think kids? Friend or foe? Game changer - or same ole same ole?
edit on 6/13/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

The Pope and Bishops ? So now we have turned from science to religion . Read some history and see how THAT has turned out in the past. Which ones have Phds and in what science ?
edit on Sat Jun 13 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: Quote Crash Course

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
First of all very funny video you linked.

I actually think the message is long overdue and I am glad this new pope is doing what most before him had not.

I'm not religious but I like this new pope and think hes what the Catholic church has been needing. He can influence huge portions of the earths populations to do the right thing and get more proactive about clean energy, and returning the ecosystem to homeostasis.

It's about time someone in a high position of power told the cabal to get real about their shortsighted pipe dream of keeping humanity shackled to the toxic horrors of coal and fossil fuels at our and the planets detriment for their personal greed. At least the pope recognized that the greedy energy hegemony people and their relationship with humanity is very similar to a heroin dealer who keeps his customers chained up in his basement and refuses food, water or anything healthy, just their product, so that they can keep their rediculous cash flow coming in.
edit on 13-6-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I have to say, I thought it was gonna be about the tyrannical exploitation of human kind by human kind. That is something we need to fix before we can stop exploiting nature...
edit on 13-6-2015 by Boomy327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

So now we have turned from science to religion

Not at all. Religious people aren't stupid or ignorant. It's time they spoke up

This is as good as it gets in my opinion

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

So now we have turned from science to religion

Not at all. Religious people aren't stupid or ignorant. It's time they spoke up

This is as good as it gets in my opinion

I didnt say they were . My point is we have religion stating to the common man what they believe about a scientific style debate. And who says that I am not religious or even Catholic ? I didnt. Merely stating that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Leave religious dogmas to religion and leave science to scientists. (or else future generations may find themselves back in the stone age) Progress is progress. And if you truly believe in religion of any kind, most religions state that their Supreme Being gave the whole world and everything in it to humankind to use as they saw fit.....

But I will say this...I do not blindly accept anyone's beliefs just because they are who they are. Dangerous...

edit on 13-6-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Finally! Cant take this #! End the whole roleplaying charade NWO, this planet is gonna die before it evens breakdawn with the new philosophy. Or actually we die, the planet will live on.
edit on 13-6-2015 by Temudjin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”

Quoted - Albert Einstein

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Thanks for that, that vid cracked me up!
As for the encyclical

it is certain to anger sections of Republican opinion in America by endorsing the warnings of climate scientists and admonishing rich elites, say cardinals and scientists who have advised the Vatican.

What a surprise heh, and the irony that (most of) these same people claim to follow Christian values.
Anyhow, I really like this Pope and feel that he's genuine, though I am not a big fan of Massive organized religions.
Time will tell if this will make any difference at all.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

First of all very funny video you linked.

:-) I couldn't not post that

He can influence huge portions of the earths populations to do the right thing and get more proactive about clean energy, and returning the ecosystem to homeostasis.

Approximately 1.254 billion Catholics on this world of ours. If he has their ears, then he has what it takes to keep this conversation going - and to keep the pressure on the opposition

It's about time someone in a high position of power told the cabal to get real about their shortsighted pipe dream of keeping humanity shackled to the toxic horrors of coal and fossil fuels at our and the planets detriment for their personal greed.

Amen

edit on 6/13/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: time and space

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Temudjin

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions"

Quoted -Albert Einstein

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Leave religious dogmas to religion and leave science to scientists.

Why? Serious question - why should Francis - a highly intelligent, educated man, who is clearly religious but also pro-science, not stand up for something that concerns the future of everybody?

Why should the religious not care about the future of this planet?

Politicians, rock stars, school children and energy moguls can have their say - why not someone who stands at the head of one of the largest religious groups on the planet?

It's not like I don't know the answer to that question

But - you know - for the sake of argument?

:-)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

Origin of the word "religion" lies in the Latin word ligare, to bind.

Dont see where you find me quoting about a single religion.
Most Scandinavians are declared Atheists, however 80% pay the churchtax, and 90% are religious more likely agnostic, tho we understand the meaning of religion. We use relgion for its traditions and their values of moral and ethics.
I could probably say we are the most religious people in the world if you follow the basic teachings of any Abraham book.
Yet we declare ourselves Atheists when it comes to modern religion.

You get the picture, when science was seperated from the church you can do fantastic achievment in how to f*ck up as a human.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

Time will tell if this will make any difference at all.

Well, that's the thing. I'm like a giddy, squealing teenaged girl right now waiting to hear what he has to say - but I'm also waiting to hear how it gets spun

Angry US republicans tell Pope Francis to ‘stick with his job and we’ll stick with ours’

I'd like to think that reason will win. I'm an optimist - I have no idea why. Things don't look good

edit on 6/13/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Leave religious dogmas to religion and leave science to scientists.

Why? Serious question - why should Francis - a highly intelligent, educated man, who is clearly religious but also pro-science, not stand up for something that concerns the future of everybody?

Why should the religious not care about the future of this planet?

Politicians, rock stars, school children and energy moguls can have their say - why not someone who stands at the head of one of the largest religious groups on the planet?

It's not like I don't know the answer to that question

But - you know - for the sake of argument?

:-)

And I listen to them , why? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Their whole lives are scripted for them.And as far as anyone in religion goes , outside of a degree in religion , what are their credentials? I will tell you , none. Again a popularity contest to see how many people will blindly follow them by parroting what other people say.And again , I ask , what is the Pope's scientific field of study that relates ?
edit on 13-6-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Well it's already being spun all over the place, and it's only Saturday.
No things haven't looked good in a while now, that's why we need optimists.

Hopefully, however big or small of an impact this will make, people will start realising more and more we have no control and are not supreme overlords of this planet. (But we can help by moving in the right direction)
And that goes for all things besides Climate change or global warming.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

You want to leave science to the scientists. Money and politics (often one and the same) have their way with science while the scientists do their job

...what is the Pope's scientific field of study that relates ?

What is anybody's? What is yours? Should we only allow uneducated politicians and businessmen to have an opinion? How great an influence should these non-scientists have on the lives of everyone?

What's your opinion Gothmog? Do the world's robber barons have our backs?

Do you think the pope is unintelligent, or just naive? Or, like some - do you think he's up to no good?

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

Well it's already being spun all over the place, and it's only Saturday.

So true :-) I'd like to think they're soiling their panties over this right now. Be on the lookout for some awkwardly worded diatribes from some panicky, sleep deprived sources. Although - they've had a heads up for a while now...

Will be fun to see what they got

No things haven't looked good in a while now, that's why we need optimists.

That made my day - thanks for that

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I can't wait to read it and more so to how Catholics in the world react, 1.4 billion people isn't small.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

The Pope is a scientist he has a masters degree in chemistry.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join