It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut's strict gun law linked to large homicide drop

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane

originally posted by: CB328
Great article. Obviously if people don't have guns, you won't have as many shootings, because not everyone gets guns by stealing, unlike what the right wing would have you believe.

www.cnn.com...

Connecticut's strict gun law linked to large homicide drop

Good luck with this CORRECT observation on this forum ATS..

Deny Ignorance is their motto but the gun nutters are some of the most ignorant and idiotic when it comes to their explanations for guns. They will ignore any FACT and good sense over their corrupted view.

Good luck with this INCORRECT observation on this forum ATS..

Deny Ignorance is their motto but the anti-gun nutters are some of the most ignorant and idiotic when it comes to their explanations for no guns. They will ignore any FACT and good sense over their corrupted view.

See how that works?

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
It's just basic mathematics, the more guns in society, the more harm done to said society...... like wise, the more rounds a gun can fire in a short period of time, with a single trigger squeeze, the more people a mass shooter can kill in said short period of time. This isn't rocket science people!

Does it cause more harm to society? Our homicide rate in the US has dropped sharply since its highs in the early 1990s, despite skyrocketing gun sales over the last 15 years and widespread passage of concealed carry laws.

And as for 'guns firing more rounds with a single trigger squeeze'...aka, full-autos, those are already heavily regulated and are not really much of an issue. Unless you've got many thousands of dollars, you're not going to be buying one legally, and the background check is more extensive than with most other firearms.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Would a good compromise be requiring safety courses and licenses for all guns in exchange for removing background checks and waiting periods?

How about a license to post on ATS based on the class of website you intend to exercise your free speech on? For a nominal fee, of course.

Waiting periods have proven to have ZERO effect on anything. Same with background checks. But people ignore that.

Its like when I was a child and when an earthquake started I would put my blanket over me thinking I would be safe...In reality I wasn't. It would never work if the building collapsed on me. Gun control is a false sense of security.

Just show the license for the class of firearm and you walk out of the store with whatever toy you wanted in that same visit.

Guns are not toys.

I think something like that would be better for everyone. Less hassle for the gun enthusiast and decreased gun-related accidents.

Please explain how this would be "less of a hassle", and further explain, in detail, how this would curb "accidents", which, if you read my signature thread, I do not believe in when it comes to guns.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
G,day hutch.
No its not not
i got bitten by a bloody brown snake several months ago
figure i need a bren gun
nar that wont work a m79 will do tbe trick lol
but i do think you will find that gun crime and drive by shootings down here have increased
plus the coppers say that there are more illegal fire arms coming into aussie than ever before

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: pronto
G,day hutch.
No its not not
i got bitten by a bloody brown snake several months ago
figure i need a bren gun
nar that wont work a m79 will do tbe trick lol

Or maybe you could just watch where your walking. Not like a automatic weapon or grenade launcher would help much, once you've already stepped on a brown snake, lol, it's kind of spilled milk mate. Anyway, if your so determined to carry out a revenge attack on some venomous snake after it's already bitten you (because of your own carelessness), then just apply for a gun licence. It's not really that hard if you haven't been charged with a crime in the last 5 years.

I mean, you need a license to legally drive a car, so where's the logic in not needing a licence to own a tool that's only sole purpose is to kill or injure.

edit on 13-6-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I think you misread something. I was saying that training courses would replace waiting periods and background checks, not supplement them.

As far as being "less of a hassle", you don't think taking one course and then being able to buy guns is less hassle than background checks and waiting periods?

Also, based on my memory, you've always come across as a guy who wishes gun owners took training more seriously. I'm surprised you would be against an idea like this.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I'm all about getting training.

I'm not about compulsory restrictions on a right.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I hate that every thread about firearms has to devolve to this, yet nobody seems to remember the underlying reason as to why it's a right to own a firearm in the first place.

Almost every government will eventually and systematically fall into a self destructive cycle of greed and corruption- and on a timescale of a few lifetimes, it's not hard to see what happens to the citizens of a country when the government gets too greedy.

I think that everyone who handles firearms should take a safety course- but the second that becomes mandatory, it's a database of law abiding citizens who handle firearms, which is one step closer to going door to door and collecting them.

If you have an armed police force managing an unarmed society, things will start to look a lot like a prison complex the moment things start to get rough.

As someone else pointed out, though- it's pretty much all we've got going for us. The bloated, greedy, and corrupt government has managed to systematically deny us our freedom without taking out guns so far- because they know that coming for the guns is a declaration of war on the armed population.
Instead, they'll just keep playing it out, taking away our other freedoms, until they can convince enough people that we're so "safe" that only the corrupt government needs guns.

Sigh.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

Does it cause more harm to society? Our homicide rate in the US has dropped sharply since its highs in the early 1990s, despite skyrocketing gun sales over the last 15 years and widespread passage of concealed carry laws.

This is mainly due to legalizing abortions in the 70s, 20 years later many that would lead a life of crime were never born, and so abortions continue to keep crime down.... go figure

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: pronto

but i do think you will find that gun crime and drive by shootings down here have increased

Statistics eh . Quick research for this thread showed suicide by gun had dropped dramatically since the buy back . However it was mirrored by an increase by suicide by hanging . The drive bys , it seems at least once a week there is a gun related incident in Adelaide's northern suburbs , a place where pretty much every working day i am sitting outside some random house at 20 to 7 in the morning . Twice i have had someone knock on my window and ask "what are you doing mate" . This is quite unusual in an area where a lot of people are having breakfast at 2pm . Brown snake huh , you were lucky , or unlucky depending on which way you look at it .
edit on 13-6-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This is for those who think that guns should be banned:

Go on and cry out against all of us who want to be able to protect ourselves, all the while depending on people who carry (gasp) guns to protect you. If you want to be a victim, go on ahead. No skin off my nose. See you in the obituary pages.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
BS

Why?
Your comment hardly adds anything.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It likely is true.

UK has 4x less murders than the U.S.

But I'm betting other crime has risen as UK has 10% more minor violent crime and property crime than the US.

Ps this is in support of anti gun crowed or against them, just neutrally stateing facts.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: CB328
"Gun control" does nothing but make more victims. Do you know what most mass shooting has in common? They took place in gun free zones. An armed society is a polite society.
Take Kennesaw Georgia, for instance. It's mandatory for every head of household to own a gun:

Here are crime rates for Kennesaw.

Compare that to the national average.
Here is something more:

Try doing a little homework.

Oh, you noticed that I put gun control in quotes? That's because gun control starts with common sense, not legislation.

Forcing people to have guns is as bad as forcing people not to have guns it restricts freedom.

Also the bit about the mass shooting comment.

Switerland has more gun Owenership of automatic rifles than US and rarely has shootings

UK has no automatic rifles and rarely has school shootings.

And many more examples

This tell me one thing the amount or lack of gun control is irreevent, it's something else rotten in America that's the problem. What that is ? I have no idea.
edit on 13-6-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
Wait what? I hope that is some twisted humor I don't understand......

CT is a #ty place. I was born in danbury CT, have known people that live there and visited there my whole life. It is a cesspool these days, other than places like greenwich, which is just a series of gated communities, fenced in with armed guards, where the police will respond with a SWAT team if an alarm goes off. Go to bridgeport, danbury, waterbury or many other places that aren't like that unarmed after midnight and you will probably not have a great night lol. Not that NY is so much better.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I imagine that if you banned all guns, gave government complete control over everything, turned the nation into a police-state and denied all freedoms, enacted curfews for everywhere across the nation, made owning a firearm a death penalty, then you'd see a further reduction in gun crime and homicides also.

If you denied free speech, made it a criminal penalty to speak your mind, you'd see a reduction in hate-speech also.

Freedom comes with risks.

I understand that there are some people who dislike freedom.

Get over it.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: projectbane

Deny Ignorance is their motto but the gun nutters are some of the most ignorant and idiotic when it comes to their explanations for guns. They will ignore any FACT and good sense over their corrupted view.

LOL so you think it's ok that law abiding citizens obey the laws not to own guns while the criminals own the guns anyway through various ways? Did you forget about the 2nd Amendment?

I swore to myself I wouldn't comment in this thread as I am drunk but I had to comment.

You have every right to comment and I am glad for it.

IT doesn't matter about the SO called law abiding citizens. None of you are really law abiding as you call it. Every one has committed a crime of some sort even if its jay-walking or something as pathetic as that.

However, america is out of control with its guns. THe only amendment you give a damn about is the 2nd. None of you fight for any of the others at all.

Plus this is how dumb and pointless lives are taken each year just by accident.

100 children a year die by accident from firearms in the US

Big cheer for all those awesome Americans and their gun right!! You clever people

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Another great read for you about American gun ownership.....those awesome people.

About a third of American children live in homes with guns – a product of the ubiquitous nature of weapons in society – and studies have suggested that 1.7 million kids live in homes with guns that are both loaded and unlocked.

Paradoxically, eight out of 10 of the deaths occurred in places where children are supposed to be coddled and safe: their homes or in homes of relatives, or in the family car. Basic childhood curiosity appears to have been behind many of the disasters, particularly of boys, with 77% of the victims and 82% of the shooters being male.

Source from Guardian

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I wonder how the anti-gun folks would feel if we placed the same restrictions THEY desire on 2nd Amendment rights to THEIR 1st Amendment rights?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The purpose for the gun laws is to restrict the "wrong class" of "those people" from easily getting a gun. Now to purchase a gun in CT you have to come up with $116 in 4 checks or money orders AND you must find transportation to only 1 place in CT, Middleton, CT. You also must take a paid vacation day to do it.

The less financially secure Hispanics and Blacks in CT don't have that kind of time off from work and money to throw around. This race-targeted unconstitutional law of 2013 has not had 1 arrest under it yet. Why? Because that will give the arrested standing in a case. There are whole teams of lawyers salivating for that moment so they can make a name for themselves and take this all the way to SCOTUS where it will be thrown out very quickly.

The old money rich Democrats what to keep "those people" from being armed and away from their snowflakes cotillion. (Nose high in air CT)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join