It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should your freedom of speech protect you from the consequences?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
The first doesn't protect you from your employer, it protects you from the state.

So no, you should not be protected from the consequences.

The moral of this story, social media is not where you vent.

What I was going to say.

Freedom carries with it, an element of personal responsibility.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Simple question.

Speaking ones mind has NEVER been considered a crime until "Political Correctness" raised it's ugly head!

Now that the disease has festered, I find it odd how those who promoted it are now becoming victims to what they supported and helped to create?

So are those who supported "Political Correctness" now having second thoughts?

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This is almost comical. So many people willing to punish people for their opinions.

All is see is that it's okay to have a popular opinion, but not an unpopular opinion.

Kind of sad.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
No, with great freedom comes great consequences.

Free speech is one thing, but you should NEVER have free speech without consequences for the things you say.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

All is see is that it's okay to have a popular opinion, but not an unpopular opinion.

It's never been "okay" to have an unpopular opinion at any time in history, but people express them anyways and happily dodge the bullets with a smile on their face. And guess what ?! That's perfectly "okay" too if you're willing to suck up the repercussions because of what comes out of your mouth.

I've got many proverbial gunshot wounds, as do most of us who've lived in this world for more than 10 years.

Life.

Nobody said it was easy.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

And one would think that we have come to the point that we can get over it when someone says something unpopular.

Sure with free speech comes a responsibility. But it's a two sided responsibility. People should have the responsibility to get over themselves if something is said they don't like instead of trying to silence them.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Simple question.

Speaking ones mind has NEVER been considered a crime

And it still isn't a crime. Please give me an example of where somebody was silenced or prevented from being politically incorrect? Being fired for saying somebody, or getting bad press for saying something, isn't the same as being 'silenced' for saying something. That right is still there.

You know what I think Seeker? People need to start growing thick skin. If you're big enough to out and broadcast something controversial should prepare yourself for the heat. If you can't take it, get out of the kitchen, simple.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
If government tries to limit speech, it's called tyranny.

If an organization tries to limit speech, it's consequences.

We should know better than that.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
You know what I think Seeker? People need to start growing thick skin. If you're big enough to out and broadcast something controversial should prepare yourself for the heat. If you can't take it, get out of the kitchen, simple.

The same could be said on the flip side. If an employer or person in power doesn't like what's said, they should get over it and not use their positions of power for retaliation.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

This is almost comical. So many people willing to punish people for their opinions.

What's really comical here is that people seem to get this idea they should be protected from being offended. You want to say something that you know will offend others, but you want to have some kind of special protection from being offended. That includes being fired for saying something silly in social media. The world doesn't work that way. Tough.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is the full text of the First Amendment , "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

No where does it say in there, "free to say whatever without consequence" .

People should realize that life doesn't work the way you think it should but rather the way it does.

If you go into a church, mosque, synagogue and start yelling insults at that religion then that establishment has the right to remove you. If you go online while wearing your uniform from work and make insults about something then that company has the right to respond how they feel necessary in defense of their brand.

It's amazing to me how many people on ATS who claim to be about freedom don't actually know what the First Amendment says or do not understand what its intent was-is.
edit on 12-6-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Simple question.

Speaking ones mind has NEVER been considered a crime

And it still isn't a crime. Please give me an example of where somebody was silenced or prevented from being politically incorrect? Being fired for saying somebody, or getting bad press for saying something, isn't the same as being 'silenced' for saying something. That right is still there.

This was my question?

So are those who supported "Political Correctness" now having second thoughts?

I love how those of you who support political correctness "ALWAYS" say, "speaking your mind isn't against the law", but yet social media has managed to destroy many peoples lives because of what they said.

As far as having a "thick skin"? Tell that to the Progressive left who gets butt hurt over anything and everything that someone says that goes against their religious doctrine!

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

What's really comical here is that people seem to get this idea they should be protected from being offended. You want to say something that you know will offend others, but you want to have some kind of special protection from being offended.

Doesn't make sense!

The second sentence cancels out the first!

Confused?

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

No one is saying it is crime to speak your mind.

Losing your job is not the same as being charged with a crime.

Speech has always had repercussions, even before the dreaded PC

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

No one is saying it is crime to speak your mind.

Losing your job is not the same as being charged with a crime.

Speech has always had repercussions, even before the dreaded PC

Anything other than the progressive shield *talking point* you have been conditioned to use?

Yes! Screaming "FIRE" in a movie theater has repercussions as it should!

Can you be more original?

Talking points bore the hell out of me.......

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The phrase "Freedom of speech" only applies only to government persecution and prosecution. Consequences follow every action good or bad.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I do see your point. It's more along the lines of having an opinion that may counter the current social meme and getting punished for voicing that opinion.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

How can you be confused? You're not legally protected from being offended. It's not hard to understand.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

How can you be confused? You're not legally protected from being offended. It's not hard to understand.

Your the one confused!!!!

Nothing offends me other than those who are politically correct and whine and cry because they feel butt hurt and offended because someone said something or did something to hurt their feelings! Thus I have to turn on the TV or tune into the internet and see how destructive political correctness has been to our society!!!!!

I find it odd that you talk about having a "thick skin"! Hell! I have been saying that all along with this PC BS!

Freedom of Speech is a set of stage 4 cancerous lungs if we allow this political correct nonsense to continue much longer!
edit on 12-6-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

The moral of this story, social media is not where you vent.

At least not with your real name.

Of course that's why some want to do away with internet anonymity. ..

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join