It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sliding Stones Of The Scottish Islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The Scottish islands are beautiful. Rugged cliffs and wave-pounded shores. On the tops of some of those cliffs you'll find stones sitting on the grass. Sliding stones. After a severe storm bare patches show where the stones had been sitting before sliding a short distance inland. Many of these stones are far too heavy to have been moved by wind alone.

So what is the mechanism?

I don't know his name. Just that he was determined to find the answer. Sixty years ago a young man settled himself in behind a boulder and waited as the biggest storm of the winter blew in. Hours later, bedraggled and soaked, he had the answer.

The grass roots form a very strong mat, binding together the top layer of soil. During the strongest gusts great sheets of turf lift up at the eroding edge of the cliff. The stones slide down the slope and the turf settles back down.

There are other phenomena that have yet to be explained.

edit on 12 6 2015 by Kester because: video issues

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
A different mechanism I know, but reminds me of the moving boulders of Death Valley, also explained as result of patient observation.

Trampolines taking off - well, that's definitely one for lovers of Forteana. A huge number of reports of tornadoes and strong winds in the UK involve trampolines being transported down the street, over walls and fences, onto rooftops...

In one recent case, a pair of trampolines were found together after the storm: www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Thank you very much for sharing this. I immediately thought of the Death Valley stones when I read the headline but was quite pleased to read the mechanics behind this event. A fine example of how mysterious and amazing our world is.

Also a great example of examination and observation answering questions.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The trampoline isn't all that surprising.

I saw the roof from our pump house glide through the air like it was weightless, half of my neighbors house get blown off, and entire grain bin go airborne and into the field across the street due to a derecho.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: daryllyn

True the trampoline isn't surprising. I was looking for a video showing the strength of a storm on the Scottish Islands, when I found that one I put it in as a joke. This was the closest I found with a quick search but it doesn't show the cliff top experience.

new topics

top topics

join