It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say Hello to Obama's New Federal Neighborhood Engineering Plan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I'm familiar with "gentrification". What that really means is a poor neighborhood has worked hard to become something more than a ghetto only to have big money come in and buy up the neighborhood. The taxes go up and the increased competition drives away the businesses and people that made the area desirable. The hard work that created the neighborhood only paves the way for big business to take over prime downtown real estate.

That happens a lot in poor black neighborhoods. A few years ago, folks from Harlem, NY was complaining of that exact thing.

But who cares, we're tossing up condos!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Seems that if a plan like this were to be put in place, property values would start to decline. Those living there would sell and move further out or find restored neighborhoods in the city. This would leave the once affluent neighborhood to become a new slum.

Tax dollars would leave causing those schools to become worse, infrastructure would start failing, etc. once beautiful homes would become dilapidated and almost unlivable.

Move the poor and the rich move as well. Sign me up!

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: xuenchen

From your TP source (with the racially charged headline: Obama to Regulate ‘Diversity’ in White Suburbs):

To qualify for certain funds under the regulations, cities would be required to examine patterns of segregation in neighborhoods and develop plans to address it. Those that don’t could see the funds they use to improve blighted neighborhoods disappear, critics of the rule say.

The regulations would apply to roughly 1,250 local governments.

So basically the proposed policy changes require that local governments develop plans to stop using federal grants to build ghettos and we're supposed to be upset about this why?

Come on now, you know how good old fear-mongering works.

1. Word something in a way that provokes a knee jerk reaction (and clicks).
2. Put the details that prove it's actually harmless somewhere deep in the article. That covers you from charges of bad journalism and having a bias, while knowing the kneejerk crowd won't read that far.

That way, they get the clicks & outrage they wanted and people get a chance to vent at some perceived outrage. The more successful versions try to provoke reactions based on known wedge issues, like this very thread. "Obama Llama's gonna force good neighborhoods to accept ghetto thugs!!1! How darez HE!!"

EDIT: Besides, you're overlooking the fact that some people want poor people & certain minorities separated from them. Racial segregation just ended in most American cities in the 1960s & early '70s. Many of the people who wanted to keep segregation are still alive today. Do you really think they all changed their beliefs just because the federal government changed the laws?
edit on 14-6-2015 by enlightenedservant because: added something added something added something

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
How evil of those rich folks for them not wanting to live around thugs and dope dealers. How terrible for them to not want their kids walking by crack heads and whores while on their way to school. I mean gang bangers taking over the local park is a good thing for any community. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

So more of the poor= thug or criminal.

You know there are people that are out there that need lower cost housing that don't fall into what you described right>

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

While I agree that we need to spend more money to increase the quality of schools, parks, libraries, etc. in poorer areas. I think the idea of forcing affordable housing into affluent areas is backwards at best.

Or maybe we are missing something. (I just had an idea as I typed this.)

Maybe there is some rich a$$hole(s) that plans to get rich off Federal HUD money and wants to be able to use land in affluent areas. We have to always stop and ask the question - who will benefit?

I don't mean the nice story that Obama and HUD want to help poor people. But we should know by know it's a big pile of BS. Where is the money really going?

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
So let me get this straight.

Obama hates the rich, and wants the 'less fortunate to move in next door to them.

The kicker is making them evil richpay their 'fair share' to finance it.

I really can't stand social engineering.

Yeppers robbing from the rich so the poor gets to have a 90210 address!!

Woo Hoo!

Gotta love the makings of another mortgage backed government program in the making.

The first one worked out soooo well.

robbing from the rich??....if something isn't done, your robbing from the rich through taxation, will sound quaint and civilized, compared to what it could come to.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: myartisstrong
FFS!

Maybe the article was talking about a 73% increase in crime in a certain area of houston. I just remember thinking damn 73%, thats a lot. Doesn't change the fact that if you take poor ghetto trash that was bred by poor ghetto trash and put them in nice areas, they will continue to act like poor ghetto trash.

Wow. Just wow.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Look at Las Vegas where I live, this is what I get of this...

Funding for new section 8 housing, in areas that were created to get away from section 8 housing.

This has happened all over the valley, some of the best neighborhoods are now so crime ridden, there is really no where to go to get away from it. Southern Hills is one of the wealthiest areas in town, but funding came in to create section 8 housing and suddenly it is one of the worst crime areas to live. I met a lady there who said she could watch them coming up and down the hill daily.

The new express bus service they put by us in Centennial (a godsend) has started bringing all the beggars on the corners now, because they figured they could get more money out here for the $3 bus ticket that allows them 24 hour access to go back to their weekly apartments later.

(Don't get me wrong, section 8 housing can be helpful if truly in need, my tolerance for it's use is very low, but in Detroit where I come from it is multi-generational and none of them are in need except a good swift kick in the ... and to get off drugs and keep their legs closed if they can't afford it...end rant)

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation
How evil of those rich folks for them not wanting to live around thugs and dope dealers. How terrible for them to not want their kids walking by crack heads and whores while on their way to school. I mean gang bangers taking over the local park is a good thing for any community. ~$heopleNation

So, because someone's poor, that means they must be a thug, dope dealer, crack head, or whore?

That's funny because rich people love prostitution just as much as any other demographic. And Americans of all demographics love dope/weed, hence the legalization pushes all over the country. And if a "thug" is a criminal, then rich people are the biggest "thugs" since they steal form entire communities, from their pensions, public services, etc (just look at the billions in fines they pay as penalties for their crimes).

And what makes you think it's poor people who use coc aine the most? And who are bigger "gangbangers" than the Mafioso, Camorra, cartels, Mob, Russian Mob, etc? I've never seen a single instance where their powerbrokers were poor or lived in the ghettos.

Why don't you just say what you want to say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join