It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Justice, Political Correctness, and My Poor, Poor Exploding Brain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This stuff didn't happen over night, people all over here and other places on the internet have been warning everyone of what was to come. Seems like nobody took the hint and now they get a nice slap in the face to this new reality.

Lets flip the progressive playbook for a moment... If you're not a white hetero male you don't get to have an opinion in this thread! You can't pretend to know what it's like to be us!

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
a reply to: Hefficide

You're not alone. There is a war on men. Especially white, straight ones.
If you're male you're sexist.
If you're white you MUST be racist.
If you're straight you have got to be homophobic.
That sounds ridiculous, but that is the thought process going around right now.

I've never seen a widespread thinking of any of these ideas, except from bigots whining about not being able to be politically incorrect anymore. But as a white, straight male, I've never met anyone who automatically called me sexist, racist, or homophobic upon meeting me and before talking to me.
edit on 12-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
What always astonishes me are the people that are so ready to adopt the victim role.

Man up crybaby!!! The ATS whine fest has gotten real stale.
edit on 12-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shepard64
a reply to: JadeStar

Interesting point you make but I would like to see a source on that stat.

The source is the FBI's own hate crimes report they've issued since the Matthew Sheppard and James Byrd Junior law.

See also "Disposable People" by the Southern Poverty Law Center.
edit on 12-6-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
What always astonishes me are the people that are so ready to adopt the victim role.

Man up crybaby!!!

I know.

Why more people don't simply adopt personal responsibility is beyond me.

Always running to government to fix their problems, always blaming the issues on someone else.

I do wish more people and politicians would man-up.

But that's not the way it is anymore.

Individuality is dead.
Personal responsibility is gone.

"Alas Babylon".

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

"Alas Babylon".

Odd you should reference that post apocalyptic novel...

en.wikipedia.org...

I say "bring it" Ive got some scores to settle....and I really just don't give a ratzass anymore.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

It's insane. Agreed. I've dialed waaaaay back on media influence. Just to cut the crazy out of my life.

I kind of think there is a concerted effort to generate tons of cognitive dissonance to keep us exhausted and docile. It's easier if all of us are in a social stupor, not knowing what's real and not trusting our own ethical compass for fear of being a social pariah or a victim of internet vigilante justice.

Every day on the news they play video of some pooor idiot going about their day and getting caught being dumb or crude or (gasp!) human. The subtle message is that it's you (or me) are next. Don't step out of line. Don't think for yourself.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Ahem. Or "Woman-up," I mean, really...

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Very much this. There's a tendency to overreact and imply all social justice is inherently aggro. Combined with a purposely obtuse explanation of the "problem". I don't concern myself with dying breeds or bigots who are feeling oppressed when their viewpoints fall out of favor. It's not about male white hereto cisgendered rich or any particular group. Just a developing no tolerance policy for those who would bring others down and a sincerely complex intersectional group of social issues. If anyone believes there's no inherent divide between socioeconomic classes, they should consider how often they'll rail against rich company owners and government officials. Power is power, and the discrepancies are impactful still. I'm not saying there's a solution to it, but I'd like to see all people treated as equals, or at least having the opportunity to be considered as equals, but right now money is a bigger issue than anything else. Basic access to food shelter and education, and a stable community. Most cis white hetero males are going to have been sheltered from a lot of the socioeconomic issues naturally, and tend to disregard their impact when it's impossible for them to know it or understand it. But, when you look around this site, and recognize there's a long-standing socially conservative system in place, and see the disdain expressed about nearly all minority groups you'll begin to understand why there's such a huge backlash.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Always running to government to fix their problems, always blaming the issues on someone else.

Who's going to the government? We're talking about social media.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

"Alas Babylon".

Odd you should reference that post apocalyptic novel...

en.wikipedia.org...

I say "bring it" Ive got some scores to settle....and I really just don't give a ratzass anymore.

Kudos to you.

Wasn't sure anyone would get the reference.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Careful, Olaru. You're bound to highly offend some uppity feminist with an axe to grind over sexist phrases because no one used a female pronoun.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I hate to justify my position, but just so we know 23,Gay,Male, Gender Fluidity, Drag Queen..

now why is that important? it's not, and yet it is.. because of those things "Celebrities" or "Famous" People that are part of the LBGTQ umbrella automatically become the spokesperson for us, i personally don't approve of that, because you get the "safe" version, you get the person that wont give up fame or fortune. you get the people that others look up to as Heroes, while you have the rest of us, who have been abandoned, abused, homeless, killed, suicide etc.

where do we get to express our views? where do we get to show ourselves to the world and say "We exist".. in the end of the day we don't have a spokesperson.

now, why is that Mini-Rant important?

Because, just because the Media has claimed a New spokesperson for any class doesn't mean it's true, we are not all like that.. yes, there is bad and good in every "Group" of people. but i would hate for people to start saying okay Caitlyn Jenner said this, and Miley Cyrus said that, so that is what the LGBTQ community is all about, because it's not.

i don't think every straight person is homophobic, but i think more and more people are becoming vocal about insensitive remarks, or bigoted actions (again not every straight guy) and whilst anyone has the Freedom to say what they want, other people also have the right to be offended and comment back on it..

I'm a Rainbow flag waving activist, but i'm also an activist for every social injustice and lack of equality, i love having discussions with people, i love talking talking and learning even if we don't agree on the same issues

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Careful, Olaru. You're bound to highly offend some uppity feminist with an axe to grind over sexist phrases because no one used a female pronoun.

See my above post! HIGHLY, SERIOUSLY offended.... lol!
- AB

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I think I made a similar point in the Caitlin Jenner thread. I said that Jenner is a poor example of a spokesperson for the LGBT crowd because her experiences aren't indicative of the crowd at large.

I think this girl is a MUCH better example to be the spokesperson for the LGBT crowd.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, and i've said the same

The Media is a bad place to look for any spokesperson, and the Grass root efforts don't get the funding that we need

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I've noticed exactly what you are describing. And I find it ever confusing or at least hypocritical. You have liberals, who claim to be for the people...for diversity...for allowing everyone to live and let live. But then while they "protect" minorities, the gay community, etc...they label and demonize christians, republicans, white males, etc. How can anyone claim to be liberal when they choose who to be liberal toward?

I'm not talking about who or what you were born...I'm talking about the way you conduct yourself. Yes...(for example)...women may get pregnant and the guy may leave (just an example). And while that isn't all her fault, and she should be helped and not shunned...we should be treating that situation as something we hope our children DON'T aspire to...DON'T accept as being just fine. We should aspire to higher things and if we fail, we fail. But trying to say that everyone gets a trophy in life simply lowers our values.

Think of it as wealth redistribution...but of our values. You don't actually solve anything, you end up just bringing those who excel down to the level of people who don't. You make everyone non-exceptional and make it obvious that there is no reason to try. Just walk out the door...forget about your job and collect welfare. Why try when you can't excel.
edit on 6/12/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/12/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

I'm not really worried because I get along fine with feminist of all flavors. But it's the hypocritical males that come on all macho with their tough avatars, that can't take a little criticism with out resorting to crybaby "he did it first" childish retorts 0r lame thread derailing comparisons then playing the victim card. I don't find the feminist crybabies or whiners at all.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

My avatar is not tough. It's cool

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

He is the primary reason, I believe, that I grew up to have such a deeply held and passionate social conscience. I truly do accept everyone for who they are. I may opt to dislike a person deeply because of who they are, but I do make it a point to accept the fact that they are who they choose to be. To me this embodies the "live and let live" approach to life. In short, I don't care if you are straight, gay, bi, black, red, yellow, white, brown, Christian, Muslim, Atheist, attractive, ugly or anything else. That is your business and I'm going to do everything I can to NOT allow labels to dictate my appreciation of others.

You are a kind and compassionate person. I admire your above thoughts and approach very much. Myself, growing up in a foster home surrounded by many different faces and backgrounds, I learned (unconsciously) to accept (or not accept) people based strictly on their character and actions and nothing else.

And then the past six months to a year happened and I am, quite honestly, left about as lost and confused as I can be. Suddenly the entire world went crazy and it seems that somebody, somewhere went out and found every fanatically insane member of each sub-genre of society to somehow become the spokesperson for their "people"

The entire world...? I wouldn't go that far. I travel quite a bit and respectfully disagree. You are projecting your immediate surroundings and inner subjective world onto the rest of us global citizens. The mindset you speak about seems to be more concentrated in a certain land.

My approach to life used to be very cut and dry. It was easy. No matter who it was, I could sit down with just about anyone and find some sort of common ground to build at least a cordial and civil conversation or relationship with.

Anyone? Or just in your immediate environment (society, country)?

I feel you tho. I have found the same trait exist within me as well (and the majority I have met). It helps greatly in the business world (along with any realm we find ourselves involved in this world) to be such an ambassador.

I've learned a LOT about the world through this approach and have met some amazing people because I refused to allow preconceived notions or socially impressed prejudices prevent it from happening.

When was the last time you left your country of residence and travelled extensively?

I ask because of this statement:

Suddenly the entire world went crazy and it seems that somebody, somewhere went out and found every fanatically insane member of each sub-genre of society to somehow become the spokesperson for their "people"

Preconceived notions vs. Socially impressed prejudices...is being played out here (to a lesser degree) in the OP.

Is it just me ATS or are any of you also noticing this new irrationality becoming not just a reality - but rapidly becoming the norm?

Not from where I'm sitting. But I do acknowledge it exist.

And yet, still, if they were all only going after me and those like me, I'd kind of get it. Modern history tend to teach that white guys pretty much ran the whole show for a very long time ( not actually true, but hey - schools ) - so I can see those who are not white and male feeling angry. I don't think it's logical or the right way to approach things. But I do get it. I can empathize.

All my friends of all different ethnicity don't seem to feel that way.

You are generalizing here. And you have every right to do so. It is a rant after all.

Much respect, I have read some of your threads and you project a very kind heart.

Involutionist

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join