It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Revolution was fought by Germans

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This is an interesting piece of history.

The American Revolution was fought on American soil by German soldiers, and not only a few soliers BTW.. The German soldiers fighting for the Loyalists and Great Britain numbered - 30,000. That is almost as many soldiers from Great Britain who numbered 39,000.

It is interesting to note how *intimate and cooperative Great Britain and Germany was* at the time, only to be fighting as enemies, not too long after in World War 1.

They were called Hessian soldiers named after after Hesse-Kassel, a German state once a state of The Holy Roman Empire.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Hessian Soldier
en.m.wikipedia.org...(soldier)

en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 11-6-2015 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I would be blown away and even more ashamed of our educational system if the majority of the people on this site didn't know this .

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I didn't, but I'm only a new yank.

OP interesting tidbit! Thank you
Now I am educated

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I live about 3 miles away from the site of a Hessian prisoner of war camp in the Revolutionary War.
Hessian Camp
The above link contains excerpts from the journal of a Hessian prisoner of war. It details treatment and lodgings.

edit on b000000302015-06-11T21:23:57-05:0009America/ChicagoThu, 11 Jun 2015 21:23:57 -0500900000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
To me, it is interesting, almost suspicious, how such great nations can be so intimate and cooperative at one time, and then be enemies, fighting each other in a war 139 years later.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Well have you ever seen that picture of Washington Crossing the Delaware? He was heading over there to kick some Hessian butt.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Because we are tribal fools still.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Very interesting, I never knew this, but I have heard of Hessian soldiers before, and I can't quite put my finger on where.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Britain often used mercenaries. In fact most of Europe would purchase Hessians to fight their wars...it still goes on today reply to: valiant

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Can you find the word Germany on this 1800 sovereign states map of Europe?

Map

No Germans existed yet.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

This must be it, perhaps some minor memory from a history lesson!

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Map

No Germans existed yet.
Germanic people? Germs? And that leads me to think, during WWII they called them m Krauts? Why not "Germs"? Germs sounds nastier than a Kraut.
edit on 6/11/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

Map

No Germans existed yet.
Germanic people? Germs? And that leads me to think, during WWII they called them m Krauts? Why not "Germs"? Germs sounds nastier than a Kraut.

Because they ate sour cabbage that rotted in the ground? How would you like to share a foxhole with that?
edit on 11-6-2015 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Mmmmh. Kraut dog with mustard makes some noxious gas. Chemical warfare... biochemical, I guess.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Correction, that was Wikipedia's fault. They wrote Germany.

Great Britain used 30,000 soldiers in the American Revolution shipped from The Holy Roman Empire.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

Map

No Germans existed yet.

Because they ate sour cabbage that rotted in the ground? How would you like to share a foxhole with that?
I understand that but does sauerkraut like that have "germs"? See where i am going?

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
This is an interesting piece of history.

The American Revolution was fought on American soil by German soldiers, and not only a few soliers BTW.. The German soldiers fighting for the Loyalists and Great Britain numbered - 30,000. That is almost as many soldiers from Great Britain who numbered 39,000.

It is interesting to note how *intimate and cooperative Great Britain and Germany was* at the time, only to be fighting as enemies, not too long after in World War 1.

They were called Hessian soldiers named after after Hesse-Kassel, a German state once a state of The Holy Roman Empire.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Hessian Soldier
en.m.wikipedia.org...(soldier)

en.m.wikipedia.org...

They had reasons to be buddy-buddy. The line of British kings came from Germany. Many Germans were Protestant, like most British people, and unlike most other Europeans. Yes, I know there was no country of Germany then.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

When you owe the bankers money, they foment wars and fund your enemies.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

after observing all of the end of world talk, and calls to tax my production of carbon, something to consider: Washington was boating in a frozen Delaware River.

What kind of mayhem would erupt if that happened today? Yeah, the mini-ice age and all that...but just think about the global mayhem that would erupt from it in light of the response to the annual noreaster.
edit on 6/12/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I would be blown away and even more ashamed of our educational system if the majority of the people on this site didn't know this .

I wouldn't pay as much attention to this crap as you are ... you don't know the half of it.

France went through Germany (Napoleon) and more or less erase the "Our Holy Roman Empire". What was left is only a sham, and the reason they became mercenaries in the British army (after waterloo).

And what you didn't reveal, is that in the 18th century, the "royalty" of Germany, were related to Queen Victoria ... who at the time, was the mother of all European royalty.

If you dig any deeper than this, you might discover that the actual scumbags of all these wars, are Brits, French, Hollanders and Americans.

<<   2  3 >>

join