It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Farthest Ring of Saturn... Prepare To Be Amazed.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Scientists discovered a ring based on the WISE (Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer) sattelite's data. For the first time we know how far Saturn's rings actually extend - this farthest ring is approximately 1.8 million miles from the surface of the planet. This makes the ring about 3.7 million miles large.

Because of its low visibility, scientists needed the help of the WISE to actually measure the size of this "dark" ring. Above is an artistic rendering of the size of the thing.

Source: www.nasa.gov...

Before anyone asks: although the ring is hundreds times the diameter of Saturn, no, the ring does not intersect the orbit of any planets.

edit on 11-6-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Prepare To Be Amazed.

I feel nothing at all. NOTHING. And that's the way I like it- for now, anyway.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: PrinceJohnson

Is "not feeling" not a feeling?

Just saying...

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Amazing. Have they used this technique to detect this around any other planets? I wonder if other planets, if not all, have this.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Is this the Phoebe ring or did NASA find an additional ring beyond that in the past 6 years?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

That really is incredible, and just goes to show the mysterious nature of gravity...

In the artists portrait, with Saturn in the middle, you really get a sense of just how small Saturn is, and yet how big the ring is!

The fact that tiny little Saturn flies around the sun, and yet takes this enormous ring with it...really tells u something about Saturn's gravitational pull!! Astounding!

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NewsGlug

"tiny little Saturn"?

It's the 2nd largest planet and is 9 times the radius of Earth. Only Jupiter is larger.
edit on 11-6-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

"tiny little Saturn"?

It's the 2nd largest planet and is 9 times the radius of Earth. Only Jupiter is larger.

It appears he is saying how small Saturn is relative to the solar system. And I agree. From the rendition, Saturn is just a tiny pebble in the middle of an enormous ring. And the fact that it can take the ring with it and keep it in perfect shape is nothing short of amazing.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

"tiny little Saturn"?

Relative to this newly discovered ring, Saturn IS tiny.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I love rings!

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Just saying...

That's interesting. Feeling is scientifically observed through physiological changes pf the nervous system. Degrees of elation (above baseline) and depression (below baseline) make up your feeling states. It would seem remaining at baseline would qualify as "non feeling" and perhaps not be a feeling at all.
edit on 11-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

How sad for you. Warn us when you begin to feel so we can brace for impact, please?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

LOL!!! love it!

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Just saying...

Very cool,thx for sharing

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Saturn is a worm hole. It's a gate.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I wonder what the thickness is.

Is it a flat ring or more of a torous?

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The already known visible rings of suturn are just rocks (tiny to big ones) and dust orbiting the planet, but whatever matter this enormous ring is made of...

The bulk of the ring material starts about six million kilometers (3.7 million miles) away from the planet

...how can such a small (relatively) planet's gravity field sustain such a huge amount of matter in that distance?

Even if it is made of just dust and ice.... it's amazing (and beautiful to imagine)

edit on FriFri, 12 Jun 2015 02:22:13 -05001AMk000000Fridayam by Dr1Akula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Instant screen saver...nuff said

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildapache

Instant screen saver...nuff said

You confused the hell out of me just now, as I thought it was me who posted a reply to this thread.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
It would seem remaining at baseline would qualify as "non feeling" and perhaps not be a feeling at all.

Zero is as much a value than +1 or -1. Saying that is it a non-value would only be true if +1 and -1 were the only values possible.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join