It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Links Between Higher Education and the Prison Industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I began reading this article due to my interests in how we treat our prisoners in this country. I think its an overall indicator of the health of our culture and from what I can see, we are a very sick nation. We are in a new form of slavery and its gross. We are in economic slavery and for profit prison slavery. These groups have very very powerful political lobbies and many many of these groups invest heavily in campaign finance to continue the trend of enslaving all poor and minority people in the US.

Rolling Stone

The clearest link between havens of higher education and private prisons, are direct investments of a university's endowment in CCA and GEO Group. The most public display of such nefarious investments has been at Columbia University, where in June 2013 a group of students discovered that their university owns 230,432 shares of CCA stock worth $8 million. In February 2014 the newly formed student groups Columbia Prison Divest delivered a letter to President Lee Bollinger demanding, among other things, that Columbia divest all its CCA shares and fully disclose its investments in the future (students can only view 10 percent of the university's investments currently).

Mind = Blown.

Our universities are investing in private prisons. Grrreeeaaaattttt.

Doesn't this represent a conflict of interest..

In the spring of 2013, several student groups at UC Berkeley and UC Santa Barbara passed a Student Senate resolution calling for the UC system to dump its "million shares club" investments. California, a state that spends more money on incarceration than higher education,accounted for 12 percent of CCA's total revenue in 2012.

These lazy Millenials!!! Get involved in politics!

No on a serious note though... they need to start voting.

At many of American colleges and universities, children and young adults with criminal records need not apply. A Center for Community Alternatives report found that two thirds of colleges collect criminal justice information from their applicants.

Hey who cares if 65 million people have records. Theres probably no talent or problem solving skills or creative ability within that crowd anyway. Totally useless bottom feeders, all 65 million of them.

We are a sick society and culture of greed and ego. Gross. I need to go to a gratitude meditation and get my mind off this nonsense.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Voting???!!!!! Sorry it doesn't count anymore. With Washington so corrupt there's nothing voting can do. Our Government no longer serve the people but the corporations. Plus with the renewal of the Patriot Act our freedoms are being chip away bit by bit.
edit on 11-6-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Hey who cares if 65 million people have records. Theres probably no talent or problem solving skills or creative ability within that crowd anyway. Totally useless bottom feeders, all 65 million of them.

I was thinking about this the other afternoon as I sat in the jerome bar, sifting through my mail and listening to a man who said he had just been released from federal prison. He said, "once they get hold of you its all over. You're completely at their mercy; they'll just grind you until...".

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

No on a serious note though... they need to start voting.

Vote for who? Those who have already been "selected" by those who already run the show?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A grassroots campaign needs to be implemented and carried out to basically be the lobbying force for the people. And when I say lobbying, I don't mean buy outs or bribes, I mean create websites, social media accounts, forum threads, make it as popular as bruce jenner and anything on the today show.

We fight fire with fire, guess what, if we all tweeted, liked, posted on youtube over and over and over again, we'd flood the world with the information and possibly have a fighting chance.

We are powerful, don't ever think we aren't. WE PAY THEIR PAYCHECKS, WE CAN CREATE CHANGE.

Remember that old saying, the greatest lie the devil ever told was convincing humanity that he didn't exist.

Well, same goes for the corruption in the heart of our great country, time we expose it and never stop. We live in a time where we actually have the technology ( blockchains / cryptocurrency ) to create 100% transparency in our government. We have the ability to make our country great again and it's via our voices stacked on top of another, over and over and over and over.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease type of thing, stop being silent, speak out, shout and scream.

We own the future.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: PrinceJohnson

I was thinking about this the other afternoon as I sat in the jerome bar, sifting through my mail and listening to a man who said he had just been released from federal prison. He said, "once they get hold of you its all over. You're completely at their mercy; they'll just grind you until...".

Go watch the street majician down the road instead, or hang out in Nellies. The company is more personable.

But he could say the same thing about being born in America. "As soon as they give you number........."

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Double
edit on 11-6-2015 by DeepImpactX because: (no reason given)

top topics

join