It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undeleatable folder

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I've got a folder that AVG, IObit and Superantipsyware and spybot cant get rid of. It seems to have no end of subfolders. Properties says it has 0 bytes but I just cant get rid of it.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
If you start up in Safe Mode you can delete the folder..

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Sounds like you don't have ownership of the folder. You'll need to figure out how to take ownership of it first.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

There is a couple of things you could try, though without knowing the OS type, taking a gamble here for Win 7/8.

Try safe mode (regularly press F8 on turn on), browse to the directory, and delete.

If that does not work, create a "Super Admin" account, and try from there. This can made be by running CMD as Admin and using the command

net user administrator /active:yes

logout, and login onto the new account.

But my favorite is always a Linux Boot Disk, or Mini XP mode (Hirens Boot CD)

edit on 11-6-2015 by blackspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
You could also try going into the folders properties (right click) and change the permissions. (It's under the security tab.)
edit on 11-6-2015 by Flatcoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

download 'unlocker'. The latest version is 1.9.2.
Install it, then right click on the folder and select 'unlocker'. It'll delete it for you, guaranteed.

I use it often enough, for things like this in particular.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Awen24

Install it, then right click on the folder and select 'unlocker'. It'll delete it for you, guaranteed.

Beat me to it. It also has the option to delete the folder on next boot if it is locked beyond resolution at the time.

Rarely has it never worked. Funny thing too, I've been able to rename a folder that was locked before, and then delete it.

Try that just to see, if it is that easy.. most likely not. but I surprised the network admin once where I worked doing it... windows can just be stupid at times.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Don't under any circumstances delete that encrypted folder. It is your Windows version X (fill in the number) passcode that tells Microsoft that you are a legitimate owner and can accept free updates. Take it from one who did delete that folder and lost the internet and $199.00 to get it all back.

Really, please don't do it!
edit on 11-6-2015 by NightFlight because: Microsoft owns the world or at least Washington state...

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

We're all just guessing until you tell us which os you're using.
Many folders are protected for a reason, that reason being to stop users who dont know what they're doing from destroying important files!!!
What os are you using and whats the name of the folder?

edit on 11-6-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I love all the complex steps people are suggesting it takes to modify our own damn confuters.

"Safe mode" Admin, "Security" all mean a hill of beans, you agreed to the privacy act, I.e., giving up your privacy.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
What is the name of the folder you are trying to delete ?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Don't under any circumstances delete that encrypted folder. It is your Windows version X (fill in the number) passcode that tells Microsoft that you are a legitimate owner and can accept free updates. Take it from one who did delete that folder and lost the internet and $199.00 to get it all back.

Really, please don't do it!

Never heard of such a thing.

Are you sure you didn't fall prey to scammers ?

But there is a good point raised, which folder is it. Anything under your windows folder, users, program data/program files/program files (x86) would be best left alone.

My bet it is a left over folder from windows update.. which can safely be deleted but often refuse to budge.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
A couple members said it already: Unlocker/safemode or SU/SA permissions.

a reply to: NightFlight
There is no such thing like you describe and windows update does not work that way.
Who told your buddy that he needs a new windows version and why did he not reinstall his version? Even if it would work this way, your key is always valid on a new install. 90% sure it´s a scam from the PC shop guy.
Like the one that sold my brother a new harddrive because his XP was missing the ntldr...

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

You can believe what you want, I deleted that encrypted file just like as the OP describes. The next time MS issued updates for Windows 7, It sent me a message that the software I had installed on the computer was illegal or an illegal copy. I had to buy a legal DVD from MS to get everything working again. The way it was explained to me was the folder was the way MS could tell if your version of Windows was legal or pirated. I certainly won't do that again.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
a reply to: verschickter

You can believe what you want, I deleted that encrypted file just like as the OP describes. The next time MS issued updates for Windows 7, It sent me a message that the software I had installed on the computer was illegal or an illegal copy. I had to buy a legal DVD from MS to get everything working again. The way it was explained to me was the folder was the way MS could tell if your version of Windows was legal or pirated. I certainly won't do that again.

You may benefit from some beginners computer classes,

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Right click, choose open as administrator, delete.

If that doesn't work, boot in safe mode and try.

If that doesn't work it's malware and your best bet is to Google the name of the folder - which then should bring up a lot of specific advice about how to remove that specific variety of virus.

BUT - be sure it's not a necessary Windows folder before doing any of the above. You could break your install. I'd suggest making sure you have your Windows key written down and a copy of your version of Windows ( a back-up, recovery disc, or download the correct version directly from Microsoft ) on hand in case you do have to do a full reinstall.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
If you start up in Safe Mode you can delete the folder..

Tried that it wont work.
thanks

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Awen24

thanks, I'll try that

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Sorry people, I should have said that I run win 7 and the folder is in my data partition, I created it myself.
edit on 12-6-2015 by Azureblue because: z

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
@NightFlight
for sure you cant tell how the folder name looked and how you came to the conclusion that the folder is encrypted.
I never ever heard something like that. However, your post that he should not delete the folder under any circumstances is the worst advice in this thread, taking into consideration you as we do not knew the file name at that time.
BTW, your version of windows/the buddys version. Was it from MS academy or a similar type of license? Because then you get that message that your version is invalid if you install it on two machines. Essentially that happens when you do it with any type of license so the academy part is not important. Install on two machines and connect both to the internet and you key will eventually be invalidated.
MS academy lets you generate a new key if that happens and I´m sure there is a sane way to revalidate that key.

did you tried unlocker yet?
You can choose to have a context menu entry so you can right click any file and you get the option "unlock".
Very neat and easy and workes nearly every time.

We need more information,
your running win7 and you have a undeletable folder in your selfmade partition.

I send you a PM
edit on 12-6-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join