It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul: 'White kids don’t get the same justice'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
america.aljazeera.com...

My opinion of Rand Paul just went up considerably ....I still have some problems with his view on some subjects but this article shows a man of honor and courage...a rare commodity in the GOP imo.

BALTIMORE—Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a 2016 Republican presidential candidate, referred to the suicide of 22-year-old Kalief Browder as a tragic example as he spoke of justice applied unequally to black and white Americans Tuesday night.

Browder was arrested in 2010, when he was 16, for stealing a backpack—a crime he insisted he did not commit. He was in jail on Rikers Island in New York City for three years, without a conviction. His plight, including brutal beatings by jail guards and other prisoners as well as years in solitary confinement, was chronicled in a 2014 New Yorker story and became a symbol for a broken criminal justice system — one that Paul has invoked frequently on the campaign trail.

wow...These attitudes won't win him much support from the Right wing.

“I can tell you I didn’t grow up poor, I grew up middle class or upper middle class and this is me learning about how other people have to deal with life,” Paul said. “This young man, 16 years old — imagine how his classmates feel about American justice. Imagine how his parents feel. So the thing is until you walk in someone else’s shoes, I think we shouldn’t say that we can’t understand the anger of people.”

Paul, one of the earliest and most outspoken advocates for criminal justice reform in either party, also spoke of the unequal impact of the war on drugs, noting the over-incarceration of black men in Ferguson, Missouri, another site of unrest over a police killing.

“Am I saying they did nothing wrong and it’s all racism? No,” Paul said. “What I am telling you is that white kids don’t get the same justice.”

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
A lot of existing evidence supports that given two exact cases between a White person and Black, the advantage on representation ($$$) and willing witnesses is a key part.

Black neighborhoods have BAD witness cooperation with LEOs and investigators. Many times innocent people get locked up because nobody wanted to speak up.
edit on 10-6-2015 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I believe this is called white guilt.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PrinceJohnson

No, it's called honor, integrity and courage to address REAL problems facing American society.
edit on 10-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I know what is throwing many people on Rand Paul . The man is honest and sticks behind what he says. One thing I've noticed in the last 20 years is people have a problem with honesty because it is so rare in society anymore .

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: PrinceJohnson

it's not white guilt at all.

It's called a campaign trail.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
White guilt is a slander made up by white racists to condemn other white people who have empathy for the racial injustices of our society.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Rand Paul's son William concurs with his daddy's sentiments.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
There could be a hidden message.

I bet the highest black incarceration rates are actually in big Democrat government Cities and Counties.

Like Milwaukee for example.

Wisconsin Prisons Incarcerate Most Black Men In U.S.

We all need to wake up fast and realize just who is doing the most damage.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
We all need to wake up fast and realize just who is doing the most damage.

Orrrr, we need to ignore partisanship for once, and wake up and realize that the true problem is across the board. The justice system is a complete, corrupt mess, north or south, left or right.

Rather than just resorting to childish "Yeah, well he did it too, even more than I did!"
edit on 10-6-2015 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I believe your comment is inappropriate and laced with intent to cite disparity between the meaningless man-made boundary between different hues of skin tone.

Methinks you are attempting to be part of the problem and if not… if you really think this is the answer… well, methinks I will say nothing more to stay within the T&C (but I am sure you will know what I wanted to say).

BTW, I have no skin in the game for US politics; however do like when common sense is exercised!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Does it ever get old?

Wisconsin isn't even a blue state, much more of a swing state with a ole scotty walker at the helm.

Both sides are doing plenty of damage.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

“What I am telling you is that white kids don’t get the same justice.”

What he says there? Is more true for 'certain' neighborhoods because there be more poor people there that turn to slinging dope to make money, getting more people hooked and more people busted.

"Blue collar" people do their dope indoors because they can afford to, getting arrested less often.

I think its more about poverty than color of skin.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Milwaukee County is big Democrat.

So is Cook County Illinois and their miserable crime rates.

Same story for most of the big crime areas in big cities and counties.

Odd "coincidence".

Democrats need to change the strategy or it's curtains all over again in 2016.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

But non-criminals in poverty outnumber criminals in poverty by a wide margin.

I agree poverty can cause some crime, but not the numbers being slung around by the MSM.

Most people in poverty are not criminals and don't get arrested for crimes.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Yeah Rand actually seems like a sincere guy. The cops have busted my ass everytime I did something wrong, even threatened to arrest me for being a vagrant on my own land at 2am because it "looked weird", we whites get our fair share of bs from the cops . Black, White or Yellow, if you don't do what they say , you will go down, that's fact.................I hate saying that.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Foderalover because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Why do you think that exactly? Are you saying conservative people don't support equal justice for all people? That has to be one of the most asinine statements I have ever seen on ATS.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Why do you think that exactly? Are you saying conservative people don't support equal justice for all people? That has to be one of the most asinine statements I have ever seen on ATS.
I think he means the entrenched rightwng politicians. The ones who, like many of their Democrat counterparts, don't serve the people, but serve corporations.

I'm a Bernie Sanders man myself, but Rand Paul has my attention on certain issues.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
That's my Senator. I think he knows what is going on in the world. That knowledge is rare in Senate and House circles because the majority of those elected elitists don't actually talk to common folks.
Rand sees all sorts of poverty when he travels the Commonwealth doing free eye surgeries for poor people. He sees docs like himself but he doesn't segregate himself to the doctor's lounge at the hospital. Between times in the operating room he's out and about talking to patients, employees and visitors.
When he visits a college campus, he doesn't roll up in a limo with protection and hurry in to give his speech. He wanders campus talking to people, a lot of them don't even know who this curly-headed guy asking questions is! Again, he talks to the administration but he also talks to the janitors, lawn maintenance guys, teachers, students, anyone who will talk.
Plus, due to having at least one difficult son, he's been blessed to be able to watch that son navigate through the legal system. That will wake almost anybody up!
I don't agree with him on all issues but I respect his views and his honesty. He looks you in the eye when he speaks to you. He's one of only a handful of politicians who do that. He doesn't get the deer-in-the-headlights look if you ask him about something that doesn't appear on the list of talking points. He actually listens and answers questions.
Now before some of you get the wrong idea---I don't think he can walk on water, but I do think he is an example of good parenting. I'm not a member of any political party.
edit on 10-6-2015 by diggindirt because: clarity

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

No, it's called honor, integrity and courage to address REAL problems facing American society.

It's called pandering for votes in a packed race.
He hit up the Sharptonites and pot smokers all in one sound bite.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join