It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: If you don't think for yourself, this country will do it for you.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm sure this sort of thing has been posted on before... but today I was especially disturbed at how thoroughly I've been brainwashed by American culture, how my mind was impregnated with systemic racism before I could even conceive all that it entails, and how many of us in this country operate on the frequency of thought provided to us by institutions disseminating hatred and stupidity.

It's so sad that we must fight against ignorance to become enlightened, and when we begin to realize the imaginary gridlines of what is "moral" and "proper" we are in the minority.

What really bothers me most is the brainwashing. I have been a victim of brainwashing. I have had to fight to reclaim my mind through many years of epiphany and thinking in ways that are highly unorthodox. Active, constant thinking and questioning is the only way to reclaim your mind from being taken over quite literally by all the subliminal, subconscious imagery and messages here that bombard us all on a constant basis from a culture that makes no sense to me. If you don't think, America will think for you. Who on Earth wants that?

I've been a big fan of the movie They Live for a long time and it's pretty much all of this in metaphor. Putting on the sunglasses is the thinking your way to freedom part, imo. Just had to get that out of my system because I feel so frustrated that my brain has to share America's horrible collective unconscious.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Blumenkranz

I hear you . getting to the point on how to think as opposed to what to think is a very big step . It's such a waist of the human potential to submit our kids to the brain machine we call the educational system in the west . Heck if that were not enough they give us TV ....

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Then why don't the both of you just leave?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

That is very well put, and I think I kind of realized that today. I had this introspection watching TV today that so many of my feelings and thoughts are programmed into me through the finesse of advertisements and stereotypes. That if I were less aware I would take those horrible thoughts at face value and never see the complexities of human beings and of life in general. I knew this already to an extent but it was a really strong feeling watching a guy on Dr. Drew's panel liberally screaming "fat bitches" with no one saying anything about it, to reinforce how hurtful and misogynistic that is, when the whole show is supposed to be some kind of moral guideline for its viewers. Maybe it's not the best example but the hypocrisy is astounding.

The education system isn't a complete waste but I know how eurocentric it is and how it slants information in dangerous and manipulative ways. It certainly could be a lot better. But yeah, TV is total trash for the most part. I wish people could be more conscious of each other's feelings here and I think that would solve a lot. But America is all about competition and being the "best"... whatever that's supposed to be.

edit on 10-6-2015 by Blumenkranz because: Correction.

edit on 10-6-2015 by Blumenkranz because: Edit.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

No need for me to leave but the euro folk can if they wish .besides maybe some really don't like the brain washing school system that has been used .John Taylor Gatto feels the same way .en.wikipedia.org... and this is a rant forum ....geez

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

This link www.tragedyandhope.com... is a great resource to get to the bottom of what the education system is all about .The private schools not so much or at least in the past .The public system was there to create the plebs in what to think and not how to think .reward and punishment to conform . a star for Suzy and stand in the corner for Johnny . They say smart people raise smart kids but it was more about creating the classes with education . poor people are put at a disadvantage and it was near impossible to get into the better schools if you didnt have a contact or the money to buy your way there .

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It's not only in the US, but you can also feel that in Europe and all around the world, some places more than others.

"We are living in a time of Inverted Totalitarianism, in which the tools used to maintain the status quo are much more subtle and technologically advanced ... These include propaganda and major media outlets that hide the real news about conditions at home and our activities around the world behind distractions ... Another tool is to create insecurity in the population so that people are unwilling to speak out and take risks for fear of losing their jobs ... Changes in college education also silence dissent ... Adjunct professors ... are less willing to teach topics that are viewed as controversial. This, combined with massive student debt, are tools to silence the student population, once the center of transformative action."
Inverted totalitarianism

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

They Live is even more poignant showing how he tries to convince his buddy to see the truth, too.

Like Plato's Cave and the Matrix, waking up is an awful thing to do.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
it's all fun and games until somebody runs out of bubblegum.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
As a kid, I hated history class.

As an 'adult' (well funded, large-boned child-king) I hate history.

When I was a kid I hated it because it was boring.
Now, I hate it because it's all lies.

I wonder if making those of us intelligent enough to see through the game spiteful of it is just another layer of control.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

What A silly post. One cannot complain about or voice concerns over their own country? Instead of this, they should simply leave? What a croc.

I am American. I bitch about aspects of my country every single day.

I will answer your why - i do not have the money to relocate to another country. Most do not.

I also love my Country.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

One cannot complain about or voice concerns over their own country?

I find it highly ironic that Greathouse responded with the typical sort of brainwashed response the OP is talking about.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Don't blame America for having a weak mind it just makes you look silly.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Well then 90% of the US population is silly because they don't have the ability to see through the propaganda and lies. At least the OP has the ability to question the world around them and exhibit some type of independent thought instead of just believing everything the media and government tells him/her. You have clearly missed the entire point of the OP's post and you are the silly one here.
edit on 11/6/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Daft way f looking at things if you dont like it you should leave. As a citizen you have the right to be critical of the nation you live in.. Certainly to have a system you cannot question is a recipe for disaster..

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

and how does it do that..

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   

And go where?

Human liberty is dead on this planet, if it ever existed at all. Why should anyone relocate to be the same slaves they are right here? Different level of slave-comfort? At least we're not North Korean slaves, right?

That's not good enough.

For all we hear from the "patriots" about this so-called American exceptionalism, they sure do set the bar pretty low for themselves, don't they?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
you are all not welcomed in Sweden, thank you and good bye. PS: MIT graduates; Sweden offers a unique oppurtunity up in the North, we offer, medcare, living requirements for your family, social welfare, 5 weeks of vacation, Maximum of 3 billion dollars in funding for solution projects. Swedish citizenship after 24 months, defect and we exterminate you.
Requirements: IQ of minimum 150; and donate sperm for spermbank once a year.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Temudjin
you are all not welcomed in Sweden, thank you and good bye. PS: MIT graduates; Sweden offers a unique oppurtunity up in the North, we offer, medcare, living requirements for your family, social welfare, 5 weeks of vacation, Maximum of 3 billion dollars in funding for solution projects. Swedish citizenship after 24 months, defect and we exterminate you.
Requirements: IQ of minimum 150; and donate sperm for spermbank once a year.

That's right. Only muslim refugees are allowed to bypass the immigration laws.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

This is such a terrible argument:
Person A: "I don't like it here in such and such country."
Person B: "Well if you don't like it, you can always leave."

WTF!? Why can't Person A work to change the system so that it is more preferable?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join