It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Can't Hire African Americans Because "So Many Of Them Have Spent Time In Jail,"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well ATS, this seems like quite the conundrum. Apparently The NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton says that there are not enough African American Candidates for NYPD because so many of them have done time in jail.

AS I remember the years of NYPD "Stop and Frisk" having entrapped so many African American Young People in the labyrinth of The New York Criminal Justice System due t the disproportionate "Stopping and Frisking" of African Americans. The Federal Courts put an end to this practice of late.

So, ATS is this just whining "Excuse Making" brought about by some of Mr. Bratton's own actions? Or, are African Americans just more likely to do "Crime"? I personally don't think so, just another Machiavellian Contrivance of The PTB .

OK Guys and Gals, any thoughts, Comments, Rants and Raves etc. are as always welcome and I will as usual hang about here for any further info that's needed about this article.

Thanks for taking a look and Peace My ATS Friends and Family
Arjunanda

“The people in this building are just as upset over that piss as you are.”

That’s what 22-year NYPD veteran Eric Adams told a rookie cop when the two entered an elevator in a New York public housing project. The puddle of urine in the corner prompted the new recruit to offer the following appraisal: “these people are all animals; they don’t deserve anything.”

Adams — who was a captain by the time he retired five years ago to pursue a career in politics — is African American and says police too often stereotype entire communities based on the offenses committed by a “numerical minority.” One might be inclined to view minorities' disproportionate share of lethal police shootings involving unarmed suspects as evidence of this dynamic.

www.zerohedge.com...

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Wed Jun 10 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed HUGE quote, added tags, attempt to fix link

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Every race commits crime its just the blacks that get caught

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Victim blaming.

Nice.

I'd say it's highly more probable that the disaffected youth who are not becoming cops do so because they don't want to be gang members.

Yes, the NYPD is a gang...

Kudos to those who turn from a life of crime and gangbanging.
edit on 10-6-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
"we go after minorities to fill our quotas but now we cannot meet quotas of diverse and multicultural work environments because of the first quota we wanted to reach!"
nobodycouldhaveseenthiscoming!!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I would think the bigger issue is that he doesn't have the applications in front of him to even do the background check on.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I agree Charlie, I can only applaud those who try and better themselves and try and make this society we live in an environment more conducive to Harmony rather than Strife. Good Reply and Peace
Arjunanda a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: arjunanda

Well ATS, this seems like quite the conundrum. Apparently The NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton says that there are not enough African American Candidates for NYPD because so many of them have done time in jail.

SNIPPED

Even if African Americans are more likely to commit crimes, it is a function of the fact that a far higher proportion of them are in poverty. The connection between the effects of poverty and crime are undeniable, and well researched.

Hence, the issue we need to address is poverty. It's not inherently due to their race.
edit on 6.10.2015 by Kandinsky because: Edited the ridiculously long quote

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yes Sremmos80, I can see this as being a slight impediment to the hiring of African American Candidates. "IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT THEIR APPLICATIONS SOMEHOW GET LOST IN THE PAPER SHUFFLE" (sarc) Good Reply and A Star
Arjunanda a reply to: Sremmos80

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: arjunanda
Police look out for distinct indicators when patrolling. Black youth choose to still wear/act out these indicators ( bandanas, bopping). Whether it be a rebellious statement or not. Can't blame being shot if you have a target drawn on you I say. If you dress or act in non aggressive manner, the chances are you won't be isolated as a criminal before a crime is committed

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Nice Reply Quetzalcoatl14, That's the crux of the matter right there, You Hit The Nail on The Head! Thank You and Peace
Arjunanda a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hell, I'm not touching this one...could go a thousand ways, here, all of which would have some ideologue ranting against the comment.

It is an amusing story, though...with my odd sense of humor

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Even if African Americans are more likely to commit crimes, it is a function of the fact that a far higher proportion of them are in poverty. The connection between the effects of poverty and crime are undeniable, and well researched.

Hence, the issue we need to address is poverty. It's not inherently due to their race.

I would argue the issue that needs addressing is parenting of these poverty-stricken families. I agree that nothing is inherently due to race, but if these children are not brought up to appreciate and respect life and other people's property and the rule of law, then poverty is a non-issue. I know this because I went to school with some children of wealthy families (me not being one of them, although I wasn't poor, either), and they were complete jackasses and had no respect for anything and were always out committing petty crimes--some even not-so-petty.

I get it, it's harder for parents to be around as much and have the willpower to fight the culture of poverty with their children, but it's not only about the income level.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is the next incident that fact resistant humans will be outraged over.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think the chief is out and out lying about not being able to find qualified candidates. maybe the qualified African-Americans, simply do not want to work for the NYPD....

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Biggest bunch of racist crap I've ever heard. Is he trying to tell me there isn't a black person who hasn't been to jail. I know lots and lots of blacks and none of them have been to jail. What a tool.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: arjunanda
are African Americans just more likely to do "Crime"? I personally don't think so

I grew up in and spent most of my life in a county where not even 2% of the population was black... Yet when I got a job in the county jail, I discovered that more than half the inmates were black. If they commit crimes at the same rate as any other race, then why, in a county where they are less than 2%, do they suddenly become the majority in jail?
For anyone who may be tempted to pull the "racist" thing, I haven't said anything racist. I simply stated a fact, as it was. The discussion is open for anyone to explain to me why this is, if they don't in fact commit crimes far more often.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
How many of them were justified?

Ya, I've seen some shady stuff with police framing people, planting things etc..

Not too mention all the white on black fluff the media has blitz, that's shady enough.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
Police look out for distinct indicators when patrolling. Black youth choose to still wear/act out these indicators ( bandanas, bopping). Whether it be a rebellious statement or not. Can't blame being shot if you have a target drawn on you I say. If you dress or act in non aggressive manner, the chances are you won't be isolated as a criminal before a crime is committed

Or maybe "civilized" people shouldn't judge others based on their appearances & stereotypes? This is a free nation right? We can wear whatever we choose to wear. And how does someone "dress in an aggressive manner"? Does that also apply to skinheads, bikers, or people who wear the confederate flag? I'm sure some people consider their attire "aggressive" or provocative. And wouldn't anyone who openly carries a gun be considered "dressing aggressively"? Or does that not count either?

And if a person's clothing determines their guilt, should police treat all people who wear business suits as being scam artists or gangsters. After all, that's the stereotypical outfit of Wall Street bankers & organized crime figures, right? And please don't wear a cowboy hat, cowboy boots, or a large belt buckle. Otherwise I guess they should stereotype that person as being a racist bigot, right?

Do you see the problem with that way of thinking?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

NYPD is not the only department with this issue. Minor drug offense / misdemeanor conviction don't always disqualify a candidate. Associating with convicted felons / current drug users etc can have an adverse affect. The question I want to know is how many black people even what to go into law enforcement and of those who apply what is their background compared to those who have been hired.

As for the NYPD cop telling her kid not to say anything if pulled over - She is an idiot. Your 5th amendment only applies if you are under arrest and being asked guilt seeking questions. Pedigree information is not covered and traffic stops have differing rules than say a murder investigation.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

on the flip side a persons appearance does relate to their job, especially when a uniform of some kind is required. How you portray yourself when asking for / applying / interviewing for a job can give an idea of how that person sees the job in question. If you aren't going to go out of your way to dress and act professional then what is to say you wont carry that attitude over into the job?

Its one of the reasons law enforcement is required to dress up for court, either uniform or business professional. Its a sign of respect to the court as you are representing not just yourself, but your employer. Its why we have uniform inspections. Its why a lot of agencies have visible tattoo policies.

A persons appearance is just as important as they handle themselves with speech.

Its called command presence and contrary to popular belief criminals do pick up on how an officers uniform is and can essentially behaviorally profile that officer. If the officer is out of shape, bad fitting / unclean uniform the consensus is he does not take care of himself and shows little respect for his job. They also assume that the officer is also going to do the bare minimums when it comes to training and self defense etc. Un shined shoes are another area criminals will look.

Appearance is important.

People complain about the way officer acts and many more complain about them behaving unprofessionally.. People need to make up their minds on this topic. If standards are set high its up to the person who wants the job to decide -

A - How bad do they want this job
and
B - Are they willing to do whats needed in order get the job
and
C - Will they maintain that standard once they get on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join