It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Microsoft giving away windows 10?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
From what I understand, the alphabet agencies haven't needed backdoors in software for many, many years, they have them built directly into the harddrive firmware. The fact that it was a Russian security firm, Kaspersky, that raised the flag...well, it is what it is.

There was a thread about it on here as I remember too.

The U.S. National Security Agency has figured out how to hide spying software deep within hard drives made by Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and other top manufacturers, giving the agency the means to eavesdrop on the majority of the world's computers, according to cyber researchers and former operatives.

Reuters article

I don't think they went so far as to actually say US AA's, but the implication was obvious.

I think that with the legendary slow take up of new versions of windows in mind (Some people I know STILL use xp), they simply wanted to get the OS out in the wild on as massive a scale as possible, and they knew that charging $100 a pop simply wouldn't shift the product. Smart move by Microsoft in my opinion.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Jonjonj because: linky

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MoreBeer

my thoughts exactly (an extra element of control/access, even though with where things are at right now they don't even need it!)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

Business model and industry changes is the likely culprit. Also they had a lot of issues motivating people to get off their windows 7 environment to 8, so this might be a way to sweetened the pot.

The money is on the apps, services , instore purchases and service contracts.

They are even talking about giving it away to people with pirated copies of 7 and 8.

I believe that is only for China. China traditionally has the highest pirated copies of 7 and 8. Giving it to them for free might prevent the motivation for rampant copies of 7 and 8 to be made. If they get it for free why go through the trouble. Also the cost of prosecuting Chinese users is probably not worth the trouble and if they get legal copies it enables them to be registered.

edit on 34630America/ChicagoWed, 10 Jun 2015 10:34:20 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

You are right. Only China will enjoy upgrades from "non genuine" versions of Windows - though they will still show ( and hack away with a simple tool ) the "This is not a genuine Windows Product" on their screen.

China is dubious anyway as the Chinese government is currently working on a State sponsored O/S that, once finished, will be compulsory for those residing in China.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
OT .. in the vid which is about the Doc. Gamegate they mention a bunch of files they have that may provide motives or reason to the new windows 10 . Just a hunch on my part but Gates and his Crews would probably have cross connections and motives .

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

The U.S. National Security Agency has figured out how to hide spying software deep within hard drives made by Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and other top manufacturers, giving the agency the means to eavesdrop on the majority of the world's computers, according to cyber researchers and former operatives.

Here is the kicker, where exactly is Western Digital , Seagate, Toshiba, and other drives manufactured? China.

Interesting that the NSA would be able to design back doors and China who puts them together wouldn't have known about it, or even thought about doing it themselves?

I smelly the fishes:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 03630America/ChicagoWed, 10 Jun 2015 10:03:15 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I've always been a Windows guy. I used DOS and Windows 3.1 back in the day, and have used most versions of it up until now. If they adopt a subscription model I will keep using Windows 7 for as long as I possibly can, and then weep bitterly because I'm an AMD guy and my PC probably can't run Apple's OS because it's only compatible with Intel processors and I have no desire to purchase a Macintosh computer that's more expensive than my rig and has worse hardware in it.

I tried going to Linux before, but it's not compatible with anything. I tried games to run using WINE and they just wouldn't work properly, partially because of proprietary ATI graphics drivers and partially because Linux sucks ass. Asking for help from other Linux users just gets you guides on how to run code in terminal. Unless you are willing to learn the code and reprogram your Linux kernel to do things you want it to do, you are plum out of luck. I'm not willing to reprogram my OS to play my games - I want it to work out of the box.

So if Microsoft goes the subscription route, I'm just screwed.

I've read of "Hackintosh" which is getting Mac OS X to install on AMD hardware by getting it to run using a modified legacy kernel, but the idea of delving back in to kernel modification is just bringing back the nightmares I went through trying to get modern games to run on Linux.

I want two things to happen to the world of PC gaming:
1. Apple releases new versions of Mac OS that support AMD CPU's out of the box.
2. ATI releases Max OS drivers for all of their modern graphics cards. Also a version of Catalyst Control Center that runs on Mac OS.
3. More PC game developers code their games to work on Mac OS.

I would be happy to ditch Windows at that point. Right now it's just not feasible for me to do so. It's bizarre that a supposedly mainstream OS only supports half the desktop CPU's and half the desktop graphics cards out there. Which is probably why the vast majority of modern day games are made for Windows - and that needs to change before I would switch over.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I'm curious why I can't get the icon (for windows 10) off of my screen?

I mean I know it doesn't "hurt" anything being there, I'm just a little OCD about that sort of stuff and it doesn't BELONG there!

I removed it one morning (or so I had thought) but, it just came back...

Maybe it won't go away?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

Unfortunately, that has always been Apple's business model. Make sure that you only use THEIR equipment and software. It pretty much killed their market share in the 90's and now it started to cut into their smart phone shares (it's why Apple seals the battery inside the phone). I wouldn't expect them to change any time soon.

I really suggest trying to learn how to use Linux. There are kernels that are much easier to use and are more compatible these days.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Its spyware deluxe. But i wanna play my games

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I always thought when Microsoft did this, it was a beta (testing) version. They get people to play with it and report problems. Then they spiff it up and sell it.

I like Windows 7. I'm not planning to "upgrade" in the near future.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
I'm curious why I can't get the icon (for windows 10) off of my screen?

I mean I know it doesn't "hurt" anything being there, I'm just a little OCD about that sort of stuff and it doesn't BELONG there!

I removed it one morning (or so I had thought) but, it just came back...

Maybe it won't go away?

Programs and features>view installed updates> uninstall update 3035583. Done.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
windows 10

I found this from a source I enjoy getting good tech info from.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I hope Windows doesn't do a yearly subscription thing.

I already pay $100/year for Office, and $100/year for Geek Squad support on my PC. And of course my yearly fee for Norton Anti Virus, Malwarebytes, etc.

It's getting very expensive to run a PC. I may just ditch my PC. I already have an Ipad that I'm on more often than I'm on my PC, and I have my smart phone too.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

Linux is a vastly different animal than it was say ten years ago. I tried to use it in the nineties only to discover that my CD-Rom drive was a Toshiba - and Linux did not support Toshiba CD Rom drives - and as I'd purchased a copy of Red Hat on disc I got disgruntled and stayed away for a long time.

BUT... the Linux of today is vastly different, particularly Ubuntu and Mint ( both related and based upon Debian ). They install easily, have great support ( via forums ), and are actually just as attractive, if not more so than Windows.

Steam even has their own Linux O/S now.

But your point is valid. Most AAA games are not ported to Linux yet, so Windows is a necessary evil. However that is rapidly changing and it would not shock me that, in a year or two, if Linux didn't have the same level of games available as Windows does today. Particularly since Android is, effectively Linux and Android is the #1 growth game platform.

Then again, I'm possibly the only person alive who actually likes Windows 8.1 and uses it daily and happily. I even stopped dual booting into Linux because:

1) The PC master race can cope.
2) Win 8.1 has been stable for me and it does what I need - which is supposedly the Linux concept - they want something that "just works". In my case, for my needs... Win 8.1 just works.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I actually like 8.1 as well, very solid, no issues for me, I have installed classic shell though, you just can't get me away from the start menu.

Windows 8 was a dog though.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I think Seagate, western digital and Toshiba are the last real producers of HD's, and I am not sure about all of them, but I know Seagate does a lot of manufacturing in Asia, but is it only China? I would have to check that out.

Anyway, let's be honest, if they want in (ABC groups), they will get in.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have 8.1 and it's great . Chrome is free and a lot of computers come with Chrome only and thats against the law.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
I hope Windows doesn't do a yearly subscription thing.

I already pay $100/year for Office, and $100/year for Geek Squad support on my PC. And of course my yearly fee for Norton Anti Virus, Malwarebytes, etc.

It's getting very expensive to run a PC. I may just ditch my PC. I already have an Ipad that I'm on more often than I'm on my PC, and I have my smart phone too.

I wouldn't let the geek squad touch anything I have. I'm consistently fixing their screw-ups for people who have been victimized by them. Also, Norton is a rip-off, just like McAfee and other so-called "security suites". If you feel you must pay for an anti-virus, go with those that are actually an anti-virus, not those with a bunch of bells and whistles that do nothing but use up resources on your computer, and cause more issues than they don't.

Just my opinion though. What do I know?
edit on 6/10/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

that actually crossed my mind the other day...i have a little alert staring at me telling me to register for 10...

I now keep 2 computers....one specifically for gaming with windows...i pretty much only game on it and maybe check a few things on the internet. The other has linux which what i do about everything else from. I have had some issues with linux over the years but considering its free and you can throw it on about anything...its something people should look into if they want to be a bit safer.

You can even put it on a chromebook...chromebooks are like 200 bucks...toss linux on it and you have a fully functioning 200 computer that can do anything but play major games.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join