It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a TV Show Go Too Far?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Game of thrones has once again caused massive controversy with their latest episode.

!!!!!!!Spoilers!!!!!!

This week on GoT stannis's very like able daughter the 13y/o princess sheeren was burned at the stake, at her fathers command. This has caused a decent sized uproar. Leading to some to CLAIM they will quit the show.

It was hands down the most horrifying scene in the series. Which is saying a lot because this is GoT we are talking about. Princess sheeren was arguably (IMHO definatly) the most like able person in the entire series. Espeacially"totally like able" person. Some have been anti-hero like able, but few have been " cutely like able" .

So the question is : Can a TV show go to far?

My opinion is no. Assuming the event fits and furthers the story, it's fiction get over it. A little girl was not actually burned at the stake. That said I have a daughter and it was deeply shocking. I have read all the books and didn't see it comming. So I say " Good Show" the the writers for pushing the envelope.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Well I suppose in the case of GOT you have to ask, can a book go to far, as that's where its all coming from.

I think Martin is slightly insane to write what he does, it is hard to read the rapes, incest, murders, I'd say reading the Jamie/Cerisie incest is harder than watching it. That said, its a darn good tale, in a fantasy land and I thoroughly enjoy it (except the pervy gross parts)
edit on 9-6-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

The entire ASOIAF series is pretty brutal, really. Martin has no sympathy for the children that's for sure.

I think he made a statement along the lines of "I don't know why everyone wants TWoW to come out, it's just going to make everyone cry."

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Well I suppose in the case of GOT you have to ask, can a book go to far, as that's where its all coming from.

I thing Martin is slightly insane to write what he does, it is hard to read the rapes, incest, murders, I'd say reading the Jamie/Cerisie incest is harder than watching it. That said, its a darn good tale, in a fantasy land and I thoroughly enjoy it (except the pervy gross parts)

I just find it uber realistic. It's as well planned out as real life. I rarely reread books. However I have read all 5 multiple times, everytime finding some tidbit of fore shadowing or such.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I honestly liked the show. But it has become too brutal even for my taste .

If it wasn't for Peter Dinklage I probably would not watch the show. That man is a amazing actor !!!

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

he is a wretched man!

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I honestly liked the show. But it has become too brutal even for my taste .

If it wasn't for Peter Dinklage I probably would not watch the show. That man is a amazing actor !!!

There are ALOT of great proformances in the series!

Tyrion

Stannis

The new darrio

Kahl drogo

Alister thorn

Red viper of dorne (maybe my favorite!)

Doran Martel

And too many more to name!

The only truely painful actor to watch that comes to mind is Mace Tyrell. The actor looks the part but is just horrible.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I find GoT to be one of the best shows on television. It doesn't insult the intelligence of the viewers and presents a world that feels real and organic. It can be graphic, but that is part of the appeal.

Can it go too far? Maybe, but I don't feel it has even approached that threshold yet. I have seen made for TV versions of Joan of Arc which have done the same thing and no one said a word.

There are plenty of warnings at the beginning of the show and anyone with half a brain knows the show is going to be graphic. If YOU don't want to watch then don't, but don't get involved in other people's entertainment choices. I would be happy to ban sitcoms and daytime dramas, but it isn't any of my business.

If you don't like it then don't watch.
edit on 2015/6/9 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I don't think a TV show goes to far. If a TV show is able to make me feel any strong emotion, then it is a pretty darn good source of entertainment (art?). If I watch a show, I want it to make me feel things (or learn things, lol).

I found the scene in question to be deeply disturbing, and I had to mentally flush it from my brain and have tried to not revisit it because it affected me so strongly.

And I think that's an amazing thing for a show to be able to accomplish.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning

I don't think a TV show goes to far. If a TV show is able to make me feel any strong emotion, then it is a pretty darn good source of entertainment (art?). If I watch a show, I want it to make me feel things (or learn things, lol).

I found the scene in question to be deeply disturbing, and I had to mentally flush it from my brain and have tried to not revisit it because it affected me so strongly.

And I think that's an amazing thing for a show to be able to accomplish.

Agreed!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I am typing this with my eyes closed as I have not yet watched the newly released episode.

Yes, shows go TOO far. I am no homophobe; I really don't care who you choose for your partner as long as it's not children or animals...but does every show aired now have to have homosexual characters?

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

Game of thrones has once again caused massive controversy with their latest episode.

!!!!!!!Spoilers!!!!!!

This week on GoT stannis's very like able daughter the 13y/o princess sheeren was burned at the stake, at her fathers command. This has caused a decent sized uproar. Leading to some to CLAIM they will quit the show.

It was hands down the most horrifying scene in the series. Which is saying a lot because this is GoT we are talking about. Princess sheeren was arguably (IMHO definatly) the most like able person in the entire series. Espeacially"totally like able" person. Some have been anti-hero like able, but few have been " cutely like able" .

So the question is : Can a TV show go to far?

My opinion is no. Assuming the event fits and furthers the story, it's fiction get over it. A little girl was not actually burned at the stake. That said I have a daughter and it was deeply shocking. I have read all the books and didn't see it comming. So I say " Good Show" the the writers for pushing the envelope.

I was definitely cringing. However, the show is realistic, so I expected it. The only other scene on TV that bothered me as much as the scene in question is the scene in The Wire where Bodie & Poot gun down Wallace. Look it up if you haven't seen the show. Basically some young teens killing another teen.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I am typing this with my eyes closed as I have not yet watched the newly released episode.

Yes, shows go TOO far. I am no homophobe; I really don't care who you choose for your partner as long as it's not children or animals...but does every show aired now have to have homosexual characters?

It is part of the current social engineering to normalize aberrant sexual behaviors. If the homosexuality is not 'pushed' with same sex displays of affection I don't really care if someone is gay or not. Now if they start kissing, hugging or whatever I just turn it off...especially during dinner time.

As I said in my above post we can always turn off something we find distasteful and allow others the freedom to make their own entertainment choices.
edit on 2015/6/9 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I feel ya. It bothers me too, but it shouldn't.

It's an evolutionary throw back. I absolutely think you are born wired to be attracted to one sex or the other. However sometimes the wires get crossed making a male wired to be a female and females wired to be men. However....... I think most if not all straight men are wired to be discusted by homosexuality. Wiring started getting jacked up creating gays. So evolution created a phobia of it to assure most men would remain straight to progress the species.

Just so it's said even if my personal theory is right and Beijing gay is a wiring mishap . We can't fix that kinda thing yet so screw it. They are wired that way and haven't hurt anyone you leave it alone! That said, just because we are wired to be discusted by homosexuality is no excuse to act like an idiot. There are a thousand other evolutionary urges that civilization has told us to ignore. That's what civilization is, rejecting our primal urges and doing what's best for the tribe.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Martin pulls inspiration from reality. Thought the red wedding was bad? Inspired by the real life event known as The Black Dinner. As for the sacrifice of Shireen Baratheon, it has yet to happen in the books. I believe Martin made a statement after S5E9 where he essentially said it is going to be happening, just in a different way. For book readers, you may recall that Stannis left his wife and daughter up at The Wall with Melisandre. Anyway, I'm not certain if it was Martin's inspiration but the whole thing is reminiscent of, Iphigenia in Aulis. A Greek play about Agamemnon sacrificing his daughter Iphigenia to appease Artemis (a Goddess) for favor during the Trojan War.

edit on 6-9-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
South Park has taken it way out there.
The censors are afraid to mess with them lest they be parodied into shame.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Can a show go too far? maaaaybe...well, it can go beyond the ratings anyhow, but as far as shock value.

consider the "good" book

Child sacrifice for religion is a staplemark of our storytelling since..stories were being told
To suggest one form of storytelling (books) is ok, whereas another medium (television) isn't is hypocritical at best, highly judgmental, and just nonsense..end of the day, its fiction.

I think the show is mild compared to what it could be. we are talking about some disturbing times and practices.
The perpetually outraged should have stopped watching many seasons back to be honest..its like being punched in the face 49 times, then on the 50th punch, complain that they got punched. its crazy, and they are simply moaning for attention from the new puritan movement trying to push through the west as of late

The show is brilliant. best writing and acting I think I have ever watched. Yes, they push the envelope, but it is always within context of the story, the world, and even our most cherished fiction (and religion).

(Thats a very nice gingerbread house you got there)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It was burn her at the stake or let his entire army(and Shireen) die from exposure and lack of supplies.

A king has to make hard choices. He made the right one.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Word.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
It was burn her at the stake or let his entire army(and Shireen) die from exposure and lack of supplies.

A king has to make hard choices. He made the right one.

Actually, the choices were to simply return to castle black, or push foward at the expense of the child for victory (that may or may not happen..it is religion after all)
His pride and vanity was more at stake...he is seeing himself as the hero of westeros, savior of the north. the only one who can hold back the army of white walkers, but most important to him, to win the iron throne.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join