It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulse Laser That Projects 3D Image Into Mid-Air

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AzureSky
Man this is awesome.
Didnt they say like, 5 years ago, that holograms would be impossible to achieve in this fashion??
LIES

It's not a hologram. At all.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danbones
they say that when they can do a good hologram in the sky they will fake Jebus or aliens

Except you can't, because that's not how a hologram works. This isn't one any more than those plastic film Pepper's Ghost displays.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Well, I suspect the mil ind complx has it already, but yeah, this is WAY cool.

Depends on which 'it' you mean. Plasma blooms have been known about for a long time.

What they're not showing in the video is audio from the scene where the display is running.

That's because it's noisy. Sounds like a buzzsaw.

This can actually be used to your advantage, though.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
I can understand how this works in the X and Y axis,but how does it place a spot at a specific place (height) in mid air (Z axis)? I see this as the same problem they had building a working Jedi light sabre.It's easy enough to generate the beam to start with,but how do you stop it precisely at a fixed distance from the emitter?

There are a couple of ways. The way they did it in the 'Burning Bush' demo was to overlap a number of IR lasers so that the area of overlap passed the critical density and caused a bloom.

These guys do it by modulating the focus, I think. Their beam passes the critical density and blooms as the beam focus gets small enough, and you set the distance by diddling the focus. You might notice their 'voxels' aren't quite spherical.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

Edit: OR a specific frequency strength from a single laser would do, too, probably, in that higher energy ionizes the air further away.

"frequency strength"?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Here is a previous thread on the subject:

Japanese scientists unveil floating 3D projection

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ALiCCE
I wonder if one day this technology will be placed inside of smart watches? This might solve the problem of the tiny screens.

Unfortunately, the air gets ionized, and ionized air (ozone, nitrous oxide) isn't really healthy to breath. There was also some research done on directly laser-scanning images into the retina using micro-lasers built into eyeglasses, but the idea of directly shining lasers directly into eyes never really caught on.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Kapusta

Oh goody, they'll be able to fake a fake Jesus coming out of the clouds to lead the righteous home.

If the Japanese are doing this openly and/or commercially now, then I have no doubt the US military could have used this covertly on 9/11 on the Towers.

would you settle for a Virgin Mary projection..I mean apparition ?
Because "they" have already done a few of these .
youtu.be...

XL5

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Stumason, yeah the pulses are high peak power, but they are also at a high'ish frequency. The average power is over 3Watts per dot I would bet and can still mark metals/skin right at the focal point because of the peak power. Not something I would call safe or a real breakthrough.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

There's a much older one about the same thing when it was a uni research project I recall posting on with Wembley.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

The Army does it in the Nomad headset.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

I can understand how this works in the X and Y axis,but how does it place a spot at a specific place (height) in mid air (Z axis)? I see this as the same problem they had building a working Jedi light sabre.It's easy enough to generate the beam to start with,but how do you stop it precisely at a fixed distance from the emitter?

There are a couple of ways. The way they did it in the 'Burning Bush' demo was to overlap a number of IR lasers so that the area of overlap passed the critical density and caused a bloom.

These guys do it by modulating the focus, I think. Their beam passes the critical density and blooms as the beam focus gets small enough, and you set the distance by diddling the focus. You might notice their 'voxels' aren't quite spherical.

Ok thanks,so it will never be a nice compact self contained and single point system?

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Ok thanks,so it will never be a nice compact self contained and single point system?

I'm sure it's greatly improved, the two units that 10th got during gw1 were bulky but were sort of aimed at a totally different end "user". Heh.

Sadly, Bush 1 decided not to use them. Alas.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

originally posted by: taoistguy
we had them 10 years ago in Walsall and they used it to show a humourous version of harry potter story at a local light show in the park.

The Walsall illuminations? They used water vapour though, didn't they?

Ah, could have been that.
Sounds like Oec magic to me.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
ooh, we can start with 3D vector games.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

errr.. no.

The first one is a 2d projector onto a medium.

The second is an optical illusion 'hologram' that can only be viewed from certain angles.

This here is points of light in space that can be viewed from any angle.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

But wouldn't a pulse that powerful, even though short make a devastating blow to an eye? I do understand my mistake with the watt thanks for pointing it out
but to ionize air even if short is a huge amount of heat and energy released. Can't wait til they tune it to real life standards though!

edit on 6-6-2015 by NiZZiM because: Fixed the ? to !

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: NiZZiM

I'd imagine it would probably bugger your eye beyond belief, but then you can buy laser pens that can do that for £1 at the toy shop.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Welcome to project Bluebeam?

www.thewatcherfiles.com...

Interesting technology all the same.
edit on 6-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: grey580

errr.. no.

The first one is a 2d projector onto a medium.

The second is an optical illusion 'hologram' that can only be viewed from certain angles.

This here is points of light in space that can be viewed from any angle.

The medium is ionized air.

The second is still a hologram and you missed the most important part. It can be touched and felt.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join