It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long Beach Police Officer Kills unarmed 20 year old college student

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Cherry-picking which witnesses you want to believe, eh?

From the same article:

"The boy was arms kind of up in the air, leaning, not aggressing, not attacking, just out of his mind. And the police officer did four shots really close range to his chest," said a witness, who did not want to be identified for fear of police retaliation.

"The boy fell to the side and I watched him die because his eyes were gone and he was bleeding out," she added.

Emphasis added.

So who do you want to believe? Or do you just automatically give cops the benefit of the doubt?

Do you not see how continuing to do that is extremely misguided in this day and age?

ETA: Do you not see how continuing to do that is at least as closed-minded as you accuse me of being?
edit on 6/3/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

It's kind of skimpy on information. How do they define "acting aggressively"? Was he throwing punches? What? From what I see in the article he had no weapon so I don't see the reason for shooting him. Then again, I wasn't there.
From the way he was acting I think maybe something a lot stronger than shrooms. Maybe pcp. That's bad stuff and will make whoever is on it think he's superman. I doubt if a tazer or pepper spray could do much against somebody that's on it.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

the witness you decide to believe said the kid was acting "out of his mind" and was "really close range" to the officer. So someone acting out of their mind, bloody, unable to be stopped by tasers, going at the officer, with at least one witness thinking the man WAS aggressive.

Easy to be an armchair cop hater.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Guys. GUYS.

You're missing the point.

The kid was NASTY. He had blood all over him, and he might have touched the cop!

That's a shootin', right there.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

The guy was a bloody mess going at the officer obviously on drugs which also puts him at high risk of having blood diseases, which as a bloody mess would have infected the officer.

This is not an innocent man who was behaving and shot anyways.

Good shooting. Sad story, but cop did nothing wrong.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Damn..I hope nobody gets in a car wreck, hits their head, gets bloodied up and walks towards this cop.

They might get 4 to the chest.

Eeew blood, pop, pop, pop, pop

Why don't they give these weak cops some training. A month of jits training and they can subdue anyone, of any size without shooting holes in them.

Especially some guy on intoxicants.

He probably cracked his head on the ground going through the window
No, he was a super-human unstoppable crazed drug addict that leaped from a two story window
Which is only like 12', by the way.

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Maybe this college kid should have left the mushrooms or whatever he was on alone.

CX

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I spent 9 years in the military police, and it honestly makes me shake my head in wonder when i see these stories.

On what planet does a cop think it ok to shoot someone dead if they are unarmed? Someone walking towards you does not call for an instant death sentence.

If the cop is so untrained in the use of any form of restraint techniques, can't they at least taze then apply restrain techniques?

Maybe we never shot anyone unarmed because we knew the consequences if we did......shedloads of paperwork followed by court martial and most probably jail. You also knew it was damn wrong.

How sad that with all the technology available to us, and the money that is ploughed into weaponizing the police, they haven't come up with a fool proof non-lethal way of stopping a person.

If they have, why is every cop not trained to use it and carrying one?

CX.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

the witness you decide to believe said the kid was acting "out of his mind" and was "really close range" to the officer. So someone acting out of their mind, bloody, unable to be stopped by tasers, going at the officer, with at least one witness thinking the man WAS aggressive.

So the cop being in the right is your default position.

Again, I ask: How is your position any less biased than mine? How is giving the cops the automatic, unquestioned benefit of the doubt a more rational position to hold?

I contend that it isn't. At least, not if you're paying attention to what's going on in the world around you.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
What would happen to a CCP holder in this situation?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Damn..I hope nobody gets in a car wreck, hits their head, gets bloodied up and walks towards this cop.

You're looking for the sad tale of Fouad Kaady.

Very applicable to this story, as well. In several ways.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

You're looking for the sad tale of Fouad Kaady.

Very applicable to this story, as well. In several ways.

Oh man. that's swell.
What is up with these robococks?
They paid out a mill on that target practice session.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Why would you be driving your car on hardcore drugs so bad they cause you to jump out of a 2 story window?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Maybe this college kid should have left the mushrooms or whatever he was on alone.

Don't you think it would make more sense to train the police to deal with mental illness and drug/alcohol intoxication, since it is part of society?

You can't just treat it with lead poisoning.

You can't work with society as a whole and not expect to run into this circumstance.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
So the cop being in the right is your default position.

No, the default position is innocent until proven guilty, which is different than right until proven wrong.

Is what the cop did reasonable. At least one witness said it was. Even the witness you chose to like said the person was going at the cop a bloody mess and could not be stopped and would not stop.

Again, I ask: How is your position any less biased than mine? How is giving the cops the automatic, unquestioned benefit of the doubt a more rational position to hold?

I contend that it isn't. At least, not if you're paying attention to what's going on in the world around you.

Because I don't do that and I criticize the cops all the time on ATS. I think we have a serious problem with them in America. I just don't have hatred and bias like you, so I can see when they do something wrong and when they don't. You immediately jump to wrong, I immediately jump to "let's look at what happened and see".

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CX
I spent 9 years in the military police, and it honestly makes me shake my head in wonder when i see these stories.

On what planet does a cop think it ok to shoot someone dead if they are unarmed? Someone walking towards you does not call for an instant death sentence.

Of COURSE it's ok to shoot him!

He failed to immediately comply with their demands. This leads to not getting control of the situation at all costs. Since he refused to give them control of the situation, the "all costs" part kicked in, and he paid the price for his callous, criminal lack of immediate, total obedience.

Not gaining control of the situation leads to Not Going Home At The End Of The Shift. Therefore, such non-compliance is a threat to the officer's life. A threat to the officer's life must be dealt with.

Plus, he was gross. He might have decided at any moment to get body fluids on the hero! This cannot be tolerated.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Why would you be driving your car on hardcore drugs so bad they cause you to jump out of a 2 story window?

I hope you're being sarcastic.
If not here's the situation. Cop comes to a scene, bloody guy comes at him. Cop shoots bloody guy.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Don't you think it would make more sense to train the police to deal with mental illness and drug/alcohol intoxication, since it is part of society?

Yes, and I also think when someone is a bloody mess and their choice to do drugs is putting the life of the officer in danger the officer should put his life first. If the kid was not bleeding all over the place I might be more inclined to say the officer acted with too much force.

Blood is no joke, especially when dealing with drug users who are out of their mind.

The only one to blame is the person who INTENTIONALLY took a drug that caused this entire situation.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I hope you're being sarcastic.
If not here's the situation. Cop comes to a scene, bloody guy comes at him. Cop shoots bloody guy.

If you are not on hardcore drugs you will stop when asked to stop, or go down when they taze you.

Why are you trying to act like this kid was not on hardcore drugs, and pretending like that has nothing to do with it?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The witnesses (on the links I saw) all agreed that he had his hands up and was simply walking toward the cop. Nobody mentioned that he was acting aggressively. Or did I just blank that out?
For all that cop knew that young man could have been pushed from that window and was was attempting to get away from someone attacking him. The information that he "jumped" from the window came from a neighbor according to the reports I saw. So how could he be sure that the neighbor's information was correct? Why taze the guy? Why not just back off and wait for help to subdue him? Being intoxicated isn't a capital crime.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join