It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to the "Weekly World News"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
As a kid I loved reading a "news"paper/tabloid called the Weekly World News. It would often feature stories about 'Bat Boy', Sasquatch, women giving birth to alien babies, etc. It was often the highlight of my week, but it disappeared when I was in my teens.

I loved the strange, less than true stories, and especially the huge crossword in the middle. Does anyone know of any tabloid like this that still exists in their area?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I think they renamed it RT !!! Lol

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I remember the weekly world news. The only one I can think of off the top of my head would be The Onion.

www.theonion.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
one of my favorite headlines on the front page of WWN was "CALIFORNIANS BANNED FROM HEAVEN!"

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It's still around they just went online.
WEEKLY WORLD NEWS
BRIAN WILLIAMS JOINS WWN
edit on 1190000001530America/ChicagoWed, 03 Jun 2015 20:52:15 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
It's kinda like what ATS was like in the olden days, before politics and religion took hold. I love these crazy stories!

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Ahhh, an oldie but a goodie! Great stories to read and LOL to while waiting in line at the super market!

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Yeah, the Enquirer was like the Weekly World News too. I loved those stories that are like the ones you showed.

I made up a title to describe the type of stories that you mentioned, " Woman Gives Birth to Big Foot Baby That Talks Like Elvis!" They always had a story combining UFOs, Elvis or John Wayne, and Big Foot. They might even throw in a demonic possession, maybe by Satan himself. Great stuff, totally fantastic.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
What happened to Weekly World News? The internet happened.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I miss Weekly World News immensely.

Now the only thing staring at me in the checkout line are horrible tabloids and fashion tips.

I'm not into mean gossip and I'm no fashionista.
Blech.

At least the Weekly World News gave me a chuckle while getting groceries.

Ed Anger was always good for an insightful rant and the stories were a testament to the beauty of human imagination.

Sad they went purely digital.

Thank heavens for ATS though, amirite?

edit on 6/4/15 by GENERAL EYES because: fixed video embed

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

It was abducted by aliens, impregnated and and then killed.
Its bones were found next to Adam & Eve's bones under the front lawn of the White House...

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I once read a report in "The National Enquirer" about an elderly blind man found roaming around on the Highway looking for his wife of like 60 years. He had just been holding her hand on the same daily walk they had taken for 3 decades, when a truck hit her at high speed throwing her hundreds of feet into the empty field that bordered the roadway.

I couldn't believe it, an actual true story right there next to Batboy. I knew it was true because it was even credited to occur in my hometown of Graham, Texas. I mowed the sweet old couples lawn as a young boy, my Sister's backyard was part of the pasture where they found her lying lifeless. I'm pretty sure the driver who fled the scene was never brought to justice.

I was a young man at the time, in the Army and not quite as questioning as I am today. Reading it left me confused, I mean come on, those rags just print crazy for white trash America's entertainment, what the Hell is a true story doing here?! I didn't know what to believe anymore. Then MiB and Tommy Lee Jones told us what I had suspected since then, Batboy, Aliens, and Bigfoot are all real! All of it?!

What I really learned is you have to question everything, and be closed minded to nothing, find your own truth.

edit on 4-6-2015 by wastedown because: grammar nazi evasion

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Aaaahhh, I miss this tabloid. I used to buy/read them all the time growing up alongside Mad Magazine. I never really believed the things they wrote about, but a lot of it was still entertaining to read about. One of my favorites had this as a headline:

"Space Alien Raped my Electric Broom!!!"

It was a farmer who heard a commotion out in his shed, so he went out back to see what was going on. At first he thought it was kids breaking in and trying to steal something. When he crept up on the door, he peeked inside and saw an alien raping his electric broom. Shocked at what he saw, he stepped backwards and knocked something over which alerted the alien. The alien apparently got up, ran out the door, and tried attacking the guy before he ran off.

Not only stories like that, but at least twice a year they would find Satan's skull somewhere. I never understood how they could always find it if they've found it before. Do they just randomly drop it off somewhere?? Ask someone to hide it for them?? Does it grow legs and walk away??

I was very sad when it went away. I pondered buying one of their last prints, but I couldn't bring myself to it. As much as I loved that tabloid, their last one was pretty lame. XD

new topics

top topics

join