It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA preps revolutionary ‘flying saucer’ test flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

NASA will conduct an ambitious test flight of its revolutionary 'flying saucer' technology Tuesday as scientists lay the foundations for future Mars missions.

The saucer, part of NASA’s Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD) project, which aims to develop landing vehicles for future missions, underwent a “spin test” on a table at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. on March 31.

NASA preps revolutionary ‘flying saucer’ test flight

That's it, game over, you have all been hit with the disclosure hammer.
NASA has "flying saucer technology".

Next time anyone sees a flying saucer, it will be said, oh there goes NASA.

No aliens required.

Guess the ufo section can be closed down and renamed ifo's....identified flying objects.

There is likely to be hardcore denial all the way to spin doctoring this into aliens somehow.
edit on 1-6-2015 by TinfoilTP because: typo

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

You are not serious,right???I mean 60 years of documented comtemporary UFOs(and by UFO i mean that exactly,as in UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object),should be thrown out because NASA is testing their "flying saucer"???

On topic,good for NASA...Tax money well used....

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildapache

You are not serious,right???I mean 60 years of documented comtemporary UFOs(and by UFO i mean that exactly,as in UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object),should be thrown out because NASA is testing their "flying saucer"???

On topic,good for NASA...Tax money well used....

Amen. Brother

Forgot to add.......Reverand!!!!
(Gabby=Blazing Saddles )
edit on 1-6-2015 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Too much fail to even bother explaining why this isn't a flying saucer in the sense that we ought to be discussing them.

This is just a round rocket.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Lol! True, true!

Nonetheless, thread-worthy I think, Mr. OP. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise, and now we have something new to make fun of. You know we love that.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

So, are we talking electrogravitics or is NASA gonna built a giant frisbee launcher???

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
is this a joke or serious ?

either way, Nasa wants us to get our minds wrapped around the idea of getting our asses to Mars one way or another, with best intentions at heart of course

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The title is clickbait.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
At first glance I thought they were gifting the Martians an inflatable swimming pool.

Personally, I would have sent flowers.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Somebody has already had "flying saucer" technology perfected for about 70 years.

And I'm guessing this gizmo is going to be highly lame by comparison.

Congratulations to NASA for lagging way behind.

edit on 1-6-2015 by muchmadness because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2015 by muchmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: muchmadness

Somebody has already had "flying saucer" technology perfected for about 70 years.

Who? I want to go for a ride.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

There have been real sightings of UFO's from somewhere other than Earth before the airplane was invented here on earth.

Today in our time some UFO's are man made and are taken out for test runs...sometimes people see them...but also there are UFO"s that are not from earth that people see too.

As for NASA taking their version of a flying saucer for a test run...I think is progress; although I suspect there has been knowledge of this technology since before WW2.

edit on 2015-06-01T20:50:44-05:00pmMondaypm0120156America/Chicagopm by caladonea because: edit

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
this is great news. i was going to watch the event live but it has been postponed to wednesday

NASA Postponed June 1 LDSD Launch
3 hours ago
Mission managers postponed tomorrow’s scheduled launch of a high-altitude balloon carrying NASA’s Low Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD) test vehicle because of unfavorable ocean conditions. The wave height is not conducive for safe recovery operations. The next launch attempt is Wednesday, June 3, no earlier than 1:30 a.m. EDT (7:30 a.m. HST). The LDSD crosscutting technology demonstration mission will test breakthrough technologies that will enable larger payloads to be landed safely on the surface of Mars or other planetary bodies with atmospheres, including Earth.

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

That's it, game over, you have all been hit with the disclosure hammer.
NASA has "flying saucer technology".

Next time anyone sees a flying saucer, it will be said, oh there goes NASA.

No aliens required.

Guess the ufo section can be closed down and renamed ifo's....identified flying objects.

There is likely to be hardcore denial all the way to spin doctoring this into aliens somehow.

why exactly do you jump to the conclusion, that these news equal to ‘all ufos’ being ‘ifos’

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sanssouci
this is great news. i was going to watch the event live but it has been postponed to wednesday

why exactly do you jump to the conclusion, that these news equal to ‘all ufos’ being ‘ifos’

Because that is the way things work for some here at ATS. One debunk is all it takes to claim victory and cast all that remains aside.

NASA has "flying saucer technology", nobody else has made that claim and backed it up but NASA.

There's your disclosure folks, not very earth shattering after all.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: muchmadness

And I'm guessing this gizmo is going to be highly lame by comparison.

You mean The Vril and Haunebu crafts?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Lol! True, true!

Nonetheless, thread-worthy I think, Mr. OP. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise, and now we have something new to make fun of. You know we love that.

Your going to make fun of something that goes to 180,000 feet at mach 4? This isn't your little round hovercraft that only went 18 inches off the ground.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Too much fail to even bother explaining why this isn't a flying saucer in the sense that we ought to be discussing them.

This is a real flying saucer.
Not a make believe one.
Not one in an always fuzzy photo.
Not one dangling from a fishing line.
Not a shooting star or swamp gas.

The real deal with a government agency providing the show and tell.

Maybe your jaw is still on the floor from the disclosure impact.

Consider this, this is how they are going to land on another planet, using this flying saucer technology.
edit on 1-6-2015 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
They tested this thing a year ago, it may be round like a classic "flying saucer", but this is basically a ballute. Like the one used in 2010 to airbrake the lenov using Jupiter's gravity.

In many ways landing on mars is more difficult then landing on the moon(or other airless body) since you have to deal with re-entry heat but also have such a thin atmosphere that parachutes have too little air to bite into to brake properly. This was why the skycrane idea was used.

Here are some images of the test and craft:

Bonus! I love in-flight photos!!

And its retrieval last year after a its shoot had failed, but its inflation worked:

As cool as this re-entry design is, its most certainly not a "UFO" in the ATS sense (as much as I wish it were).

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I suppose that they, themselves, in talk and media releases studiously avoided using the term "flying saucer." But you know they damned well knew it would happen and perhaps was encouraged in subtle ways.

I can't image this contraption landing with anything like pin-point accuracy which usually is much desired. Actually, I envision it starting to spin wildly in the upper Martian atmosphere and behaving like a Frisbee, landing who knows where. I say it is more than a ill-conceived contraption, it is a gimmick to keep us thinking about that term and to help keep aerospace industries working in America.

I'll wager that system will never be utilized to land a payload on Mars. We've used proven decent systems on our Moon landings with pure rocket retro fire. On Mars, they want to lug a separate, single-use device to do the job. Makes no sense unless they have an agenda to met...and they have always had an agenda to met so you don't need to "go figure."

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This brings a question to my mind...

If flying saucers aren't real why do we keep trying to make this tech? Was always saucers before people started claiming triangle shapes and such.

It is curious...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join