It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you solve the issue of exponential growth within the Human population?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I brought up this video in a recent thread I replied to, the subject - I personally believe - is one that needs to be addressed immediately.

The topic is of the Human Population. The world population has experienced continuous growth since the end of the Great Famine and the Black Death in 1350, when it was near 370 million. The highest growth rates – global population increases above 1.8% per year – occurred briefly during the 1950s, and for longer during the 1960s and 1970s. The global growth rate peaked at 2.2% in 1963, and has declined to 1.1% as of 2012. Total annual births were highest in the late 1980s at about 139 million, and are now expected to remain essentially constant at their 2011 level of 135 million, while deaths number 56 million per year, and are expected to increase to 80 million per year by 2040.

(~Exponential Population Growth. Kivu. May 10, 2012. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
~"World Population Prospects". United Nations. 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2015.[dead link]
~"Annual Number Of Births - World". United Nations Population Division. 2011. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
)

David Suzuki does a great job explaining:

If you don't currently believe that Humanity's presence on Earth is overpopulated, then you can respect that due to exponential growth, we will eventually overrun and out-use the planet.

So what do you think our options are?

Personally, I don't think the world will comply to a global-scale maximum birth of one child per family. I think our only option is to split the population and move externally to another celestial body.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This problem has been on my mind for many, many years.

When I was a child, at some point I reached the age of reason. My parents had three children- but there are only two of them. An inbalance, I thought- until I learned they each of them had four siblings each, none of which who decided to repopulate.

Ten people, three children.

Of those three, only one is passing on their genes- three children, again.

Our family tree spiked with the baby boomers like many, but appears to have self corrected. Good, I thought.

Of course, then I learn there are people in this world with family trees that look more like the food pyramid.

The industrial revolution allowed a more efficient means of raping the planet to sustain our own growth- but it's not sustainable by a long shot.
The dustbowls should have taught us this- but they didn't.

I have no solutions for this problem that can be implemented- anything short of active eugenics won't make a difference- and good luck pulling that off without total ownership of the central baking puppetmasters.

I'm sure they're well on their way to implementation, though.

The most deficient way to deal with such a problem here in the US would be to collapse the currency. Since they control the currency in almost every nation on the planet, I assume the situation is similar.
Collapse that, and the food/water supply stops- every major city collapses into chaos overnight- within two months, the death toll would be over 80% nationwide. Anyone left would be deep in hiding or in organized roaming ill equipped gangs.

Given the unlimited funding of the financial elite, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to keep a well equipped private army hiding in reserve for a few months while the entire country ate itself alive- then unleash them for cleanup duty. Especially if they can keep the satellites in the air- UAV automated sweeping wouldn't be hard to manage.

Unfortunately, this scenario doesn't end with the best and brightest, or even the best equipped for survival as the ones who inherit the earth. It ends with the twisted sociopaths who are used to being in charge, and the brutish thugs who can be easily bribed.

Bleak future is bleak.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

How would you solve the issue of exponential growth within the Human population?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Easy enough answer for me. You don't. You can't infringe on the natural rights to have a family and as big as you want. A solution outside of population control has to be found. Colonization. We'll solve no problems toiling around on Earth. War and faminie. Natural disasters and disease. Thats population control enough. I've never been happier than watching my children be born. That shouldn't be taken from anyone. No matter how many times they want to experience.

The world would rise up if that were to happen. So yea. Colonization is the only way.

ETA: As for feeding these growing people. Well we all know of GMOs and such. Necessary evil if we are to feed them. As for jobs. Well they will be there. As more house are built we need more construction workers. As things break more service personnel. More people, more industry, more jobs. Even today it isn't impossible to get an entry level job. Only problem is everyone expects to get rich. Don't want to start at bottom and work way up. Wants 30/he, but won't take the commitment and time to get there.
edit on 31-5-2015 by Passive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
We went through this in the 70s. Then we stopped thinking about it in the 80s and started on worrying about the Ice Age . At least a circle is unbroken .

The Population Bomb is a best-selling book written by Stanford University Professor Paul R. Ehrlich and his wife, Anne Ehrlich (who was uncredited), in 1968.[1][2] It warned of the mass starvation of humans in the 1970s and 1980s due to overpopulation, as well as other major societal upheavals, and advocated immediate action to limit population growth. Fears of a "population explosion" were widespread in the 1950s and 60s, but the book and its author brought the idea to an even wider audience.[3][4] The book has been criticized since its publishing for its alarmist tone, and in recent decades for its inaccurate predictions. The Ehrlichs stand by the basic ideas in the book, stating in 2009 that "perhaps the most serious flaw in The Bomb was that it was much too optimistic about the future" and believe that it achieved their goals because "it alerted people to the importance of environmental issues and brought human numbers into the debate on the human future."[2]

source

My opinion is the earth will correct itself whether through pandemic , famine or natural disaster . After all that's the natural cycles on this rock .

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

1. Limit procreation to one child and ban the institution of marriage.

2. Target a specified portion of the population because of (insert excuse) and commit genocide - regularly.

3. Poison the worlds water supply to target a particular gene to sterilize a portion of humans.

4. Spray stuff into the atmosphere to target a particular gene to sterilize a portion of humans.

5. War, war and more war.........in someone elses country............because my God is right and yours is the devil.

6. Forced sterilization programs.

OR

7. Plan to build a rocket ship and head off to another planet and begin a colonization program with the intention of eliminating even the thought or possibility of 1-6 and instead putting all of the planets resources into the fact that we will eventually need 2 planets (and maybe even our moon for those that don't want to be too far from home) - star trekkin across the universe as we go.

NB: Now, don't go bat-snip crazy over whether 3 & 4 are even true folks - they have been mentioned to drive home a point about human psyche regarding TPTB apparent intentions to kill us all.

Bring on 7.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Education.
Free birth control.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

My opinion is the earth will correct itself whether through pandemic , famine or natural disaster . After all that's the natural cycles on this rock .

I agree with you.
This topic always makes me think of George Carlin saying we are like a bad case of fleas on the planet, and she will shrug us off as the parasites we are.

The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we’re gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, ’cause that’s what it does. It’s a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed.

www.goodreads.com...

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Sterilize all children at birth to qualify for school, medical, citizenship. The ones who want children are cloned and they pay out of pocket for it.

Yes it does sound like Gattaca but short of endless wars I can't see another way.
edit on 31-5-2015 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Yes mother earth has a proven natural cycle of limitless catastrophes and extinction level events.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Which planet would you sincerely find suitable for us?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Right now, colonizing another planet is about as feasible a solution as simply waiting for Jesus to come back and fix everything.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Well your solution? Sterilization? Sooner or later something will have to give. Short of an extinction level event, we colonize or sterilize.

Or war...there's always war. With the special cases in power around the world though I'd file that under an extinction level event.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Education.
Free birth control.

Add to that a stronger income equality and productivity and mobility for people as well. It's been shown that when people are more educated, have birth control and live productive lives with a good amount of income and freedom they tend to have less children as they choose to enjoy life and what it has to offer for themselves. Even when they do decide to have children they don't usually have more than one or two because they choose quality rather than quantity as far as how they raise them. Also the health of the child is much better so you don't need a bunch of them just so a few of them will make it.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: VforVendettea

Sterilize all children at birth to qualify for school, medical, citizenship. The ones who want children are cloned and they pay out of pocket for it.

Yes it does sound like Gattaca but short of endless wars I can't see another way.

But that would simply push those with Wealth in to the future which in no way is an intelligent way method of genetic selection for the future of humanity. You would have to base it off of something other than just economics or you're just increasing the probability that you'll be selecting inferior genes.

If anything you'd want to research the genetics of all new born children and select only the best for procreation with as much diversity as possible. They would come from all areas of the genetic pool.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Sources on that? Not calling you out I'd just like to read up on that. I know some rich families with a lot children and some with one or none. I don't believe having one to two is a norm as you stated.

Although I do agree with not having kids early and using protection. With potential parents schooling or busy furthering a career there is no room for parenting.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Repeating myself yet again...

What really is needed is a comprehensive world encompassing male sterilization program, one that can be reversed for those who can pass basic cognitive ability tests. Keep the least from breeding the most & the world might become a better place.

I really do wish some smart geneticists would start working on this program, sooner will be better than later.

One more thing, "human right to breed" pfft, no that's your animal right.
If you want to live like animals then breed like them indiscriminately but a civilized being would give some thought & consideration as to what kind of world they're birthing their offspring into.

K~

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I would poison our air,water and food with something that makes humans sterile, then we would need advanced genetics to bypass the damage for a selected few.
edit on 1-6-2015 by solve because: utopia

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Passive

I don't have a particular source off hand but I know I watched a speech given on TED about it a while back. Keep in mind though that it's less obvious when only viewing Industrious Nations because they already have less children than undeveloped ones. You have to look at large amounts of data to really see the result. So if you just looked at the US for example it wouldn't really show up because some rich families have lots of kids some don't.

But over all there is a trend that shows when people aren't dirt poor and have more mobility in life what happens is that they tend to live life for themselves more and usually for a little longer. They experience more, have careers, etc. This results in them having kids later in life and less of them. However, when people struggle financially they usually shack up earlier, have kids more, are less educated, etc. Poverty has many different effects on the human condition that many people don't ever consider but always seem to be there.

You should be able to find the information easily if you just google it. It's quite common in the research on population growth and trends within it.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I will make a prediction that I'm fully confident will come true within several decades (as far as the technology), and perhaps the technology is being developed as we speak. Highly sophisticated computer programs will be able to analyze DNA so thoroughly, that it will be able to derive predispositions for intelligence, violence, creativity, health, longevity, etc... and have a thorough report within seconds of DNA analysis. I have no doubt that this will happen, and it is going to raise some very uncomfortable societal questions.

The result of the above is that Eugenics will make a ferocious comeback, only this time it will be backed up by easy to read clear scientific data that cannot be disputed. Genetic lines that show predispositions to violence, low intelligence, health issues, lack of creativity (Basically dividing people into two groups... those whose offspring will likely contribute positively to this planet by their existence, and those that will likely not), will be sterilized and not allowed to produce offspring, until those genetic lines are bred out of existence.

This will happen.. and it will not be pretty when it does. Whether morally right or wrong, it won't matter because necessity will bring about change whether or not people like it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join