It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT's Robot Now Jumps While Running

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
One step closer to a dangerous future, ATS.........MIT has the technology for autonomous robots to a point where their robot cheetah can jump while running. While this may seem like nothing major, it really is major; especially since the robot achieves this feat un-tethered or un-assisted.

MIT has already demonstrated that its incredibly nimble and fast robot cheetah can run free without the need for cables or safety tethers. But now it’s not only able run down its prey out in the open, it can also jump without losing its stride. So when the robot uprising eventually happens, ducking behind a wall isn’t going to help you. Thanks, MIT!

As this tech develops into AI, I think there could be some problems ahead for mankind. One day we may really have to hear Arnold say "Come with me if you want to live....." What says ATS?

gizmodo.com...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
a reply to: lostbook

Thanks for that......

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I believe this technology is really going to advance. Other research groups are investigating ways of getting robots to "repair themselves" or at least compensate for reduced strength or mobility in a single motor. Mobility of robots are measured in terms of "degrees of freedom" of individual joints - ball/socket, hinge, sliding rod. So if a leg became stiff at the knee joint, the control software can figure out that maybe it can raise the hip joint a bit higher instead and/or twist the back instead.

www.livescience.com...

There are even robot octopi, which have multiple arms used to pick up and carry objects:

spectrum.ieee.org...

These critters are even getting the chance to cooperate and plan their own missions:

robotics.mit.edu...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
My cats can do that too, and they were free. Can this robot catch a mouse? Can it take control of your house and enslave the people like our cats have done?

I wonder if this can be programmed to change cat litter.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I would enthusiastically endorse this program if that were their goal.

Seriously...

I can't event tell you...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The cheetah looks awkward when landing on its front paws. I think that the original cheetah is the best design ever made, will never compete.

Let's see, cheetahs can replicate themselves already, can regenerate tissue or heal if you like, has a LIFEspan of 20 years in nature taking only what it needs, no pollution, no production byproducts, no money, FREE. Is blistering fast, can jump leaps and bounds and climb trees.

Oh and it a real cheetah has feelings and look 442342342 times cooler. Can withstand heat waves, operates on rough terrains, sand, water...

These robot makers have a looooooooooooong way to go to impress me. We try to replicate nature, we fail.

Mind you, they must have spent A LOT of time designing this machine. I will give them that, persistent and patient. But still nature is still the all time best tech ever. Don't even try robots, you will fail......because we designed you.
edit on 29-5-2015 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes

Let's see, cheetahs can replicate themselves already

At a blisteringly slow pace. These can be mass produced. And they take orders.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

These robot makers have a looooooooooooong way to go to impress me. We try to replicate nature, we fail.

Gotta start somewhere.
But do you really think this is about replacing cheetahs?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: rickymouse

I would enthusiastically endorse this program if that were their goal.

Seriously...

I can't event tell you...

Well, I have one of these and I am pretty happy. My cat loves to sit and watch it do its thing...

edit on 1-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I wonder if we could start petitions now to have our brains transplanted into robots when theyre available. I wouldnt mind spending a few years as a WildCat Drone Mark 6.8.

Or This!
img3.wikia.nocookie.net...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

A mining droid?

I think eventually we'll be able to transfer our minds into robot/synthetic bodies -- but I don't think we'll enjoy it very much. After a while I think we'd see them as a sort of prison, as our minds aren't supposed to be inside of a machine body.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

The Daleks would agree.
They seem to be very grumpy.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
1 - A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2 - A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3 - A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

- from the "Handbook of Robotics, 56th Edition, 2058 A.D.

Lets hope MIT's little pet knows about the three laws.

top topics

join