It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

51 Year Old Actor Drops Hollywood & Picks Up AK-47 To Fight ISIS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This is the first I have heard of this and I wanted to share with you guys. Ever think your life is meaningless or boring. Follow this guys example. Michael Enright (who has his own imdb page here imdb) had enough of watching the atrocities of be-headings etc and decided to go to Syria and fight ISIS with the kurds and the YPG.

Actor Michael Enright looks every inch the steely Hollywood tough guy, clad in combat fatigues with an AK-47 slung across his shoulder.
But this British veteran of countless movies – including Pirates Of The Caribbean alongside Johnny Depp, and Knight And Day with Tom Cruise – is no longer just playing a role as he embarks on the fight of his life.
He says he has turned his back on the glamour of Tinseltown to join the desperate fight against the terrorists of Islamic State, propelled into real-life action by their barbaric slaughter of Western hostages.

www.dailymail.co.uk... ad-amazing-story-decide.html

So is he mad or brave. You decide. Here is a youtube vid that was published today that he speaks in an interview.

I have to say I respect him. At least he was brave enough to put his money where his mouth was, get of his ass and go and fight for something he believes in. I have to be honest, it gave me food for thought as well. As in, what would I be willing to fight for. Family, friends and my country if it was under threat. These are obvious. Then you think, how long is it until that war over there makes it way here. How long until it is OUR war, not just our governments.

As always, interested in your opinions.

edit on 28-5-2015 by randomspecific because: fix vid url

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: randomspecific

And so in a nutshell, the present situation dictates that:

Ordinary people take extraordinary measures.

How sad is that?

I for one shall not follow until I see at LEAST 100 of the richest people on the planet follow suit!

+2 more 
posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I don't have any problem with individuals deciding to go personally fight for things they believe in. The hard part is to figure out exactly who it is you're fighting, and who is the bad guy and who is the good guy. Because it's not all that simple with all the back door deals going on and misdirection. It would be a shame to fight and kill people for something you think it right when it turns out that you were just a sucker and a pawn in a much larger game of which you are completely ignorant.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomspecific
This is the first I have heard of this and I wanted to share with you guys. Ever think your life is meaningless or boring. Follow this guys example. Michael Enright (who has his own imdb page here imdb) had enough of watching the atrocities of be-headings etc and decided to go to Syria and fight ISIS with the kurds and the YPG.

Actor Michael Enright looks every inch the steely Hollywood tough guy, clad in combat fatigues with an AK-47 slung across his shoulder.
But this British veteran of countless movies – including Pirates Of The Caribbean alongside Johnny Depp, and Knight And Day with Tom Cruise – is no longer just playing a role as he embarks on the fight of his life.
He says he has turned his back on the glamour of Tinseltown to join the desperate fight against the terrorists of Islamic State, propelled into real-life action by their barbaric slaughter of Western hostages.

www.dailymail.co.uk... ad-amazing-story-decide.html

So is he mad or brave. You decide. Here is a youtube vid that was published today that he speaks in an interview.

I have to say I respect him. At least he was brave enough to put his money where his mouth was, get of his ass and go and fight for something he believes in. I have to be honest, it gave me food for thought as well. As in, what would I be willing to fight for. Family, friends and my country if it was under threat. These are obvious. Then you think, how long is it until that war over there makes it way here. How long until it is OUR war, not just our governments.

As always, interested in your opinions.

Mad, brave? Maybe just a crappy actor?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I don't have any problem with individuals deciding to go personally fight for things they believe in. The hard part is to figure out exactly who it is you're fighting, and who is the bad guy and who is the good guy. Because it's not all that simple with all the back door deals going on and misdirection. It would be a shame to fight and kill people for something you think it right when it turns out that you were just a sucker and a pawn in a much larger game of which you are completely ignorant.

That exactly.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Probably the latter
reply to: HUMBLEONE

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

That's my problem as well. If it was obvious i.e. my family or my friends, no problem, show me my gun and I will get on with it. Fighting for a government, well, I would have to know 100% that the cause was just i.e. an invasion of my homeland.

This guy has decided to fight for/with a people, the Kurds against an enemy he had only seen via the media. The Kurds are at least defending and fighting for their lands so I guess you could say he is helping defend an adopted homeland and not someone's ideal.

Still a huge risk he is taking (apart from the everyday risk of fighting a war) given his value if captured, or even just turned over for cash. Horrible thought.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have a question.

As a Muslim If I were to go and fight the ISIS would I be hailed a hero ?

or would I be Chalked up as another Jihadist ?

I say this because I am Muslim and I know of many fellow Muslims who went to go fight in Syria against ISIS but now they can't return home because they have been blacklisted as Jihadist .

Understand that ISIS are small in number and the majority of the Muslim umma (nation) has NOT pledged alliance to them .

We understand that ISIS was created and supported by the US and other nations. For a group that is hell bent on establishing a Caliph they sure did violate every Shria law to establish it ( red flag number 1 )

I can go on about many other reasons as to why they are pure evil and must be stopped .

but how do "moderate" Muslims like my self and millions of others stop them without being Labeled as one of them ?

Education is the only way I know to fight ISIS at this point .

any better ideas ?
edit on 28-5-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
"Hey, your next gig, you'll be shooting in Iraq. Pretty exciting huh?"

I'm sure he was a little confused at first and just assumed the "shoot" was in Iraq. Boy i bet he was surprised when he landed to learn there won't be any cameras rolling.
edit on 28-5-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

And so in a nutshell, the present situation dictates that:

Ordinary people take extraordinary measures.

How sad is that?

Very sad indeed. Citizens fighting black ops wars.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

We understand that ISIS was created and supported by the US and other nations. For a group that his hell bent on establishing a Caliph they sure did violate every Shria law to establish it ( red flag number 1 )

Rather than a red flag what this shows to any sane person is simple. Islam MUST deny this, MUST fight this.
Fight this Islam, fight this...I mean how can anybody create a caliphate without the blessing of Allah when people are being killed for drawing a picture of Allah?
Right?
edit on 28-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomspecific

I have to say I respect him. At least he was brave enough to put his money where his mouth was, get of his ass and go and fight for something he believes in.

So, by that standard you must respect the ISIS fighters as well. After all, they put their money where their mouths were, got off their asses and fight for something they believe in?

Hmmm.....

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Thing is, do you think some would go over not due to some overriding principle, but rather to just go play war and legally murder people while pretending to be a hero?
Not saying this is his motivation, but I know plenty of people who would.

Keep in mind, once he has had enough, he can simply buy a airplane ticket and leave...he isn't fighting for king and country, he is fighting for (as he claims) an ideological stance.

He is going specifically to kill people, this much is certain..what remains then is speculation as to the true motivation why.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm actually surprised more fundies haven't done this.

I was actually expecting some evangelical person to start their own private crusader army and buy a barge or something and rename it the "Freedom Ship" and sail it to the ME to combat ISIS.

"Bring your own guns, we're going big before we go home!"

I'm dead serious, I'm really, really surprised there hasn't been a call to arms for all these people that claim to love guns and hate ISIS. Where are they? Why haven't they banded together to form a Neo-Crusade?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

An American actor going into a small foreign village to fight off evil marauders? Isn't this the plot to the Three Amigos?

I hope he does well and isn't singled out as a target for his acting status. Those Kurds are amazing badasses but they could use all the help they can get.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

We understand that ISIS was created and supported by the US and other nations. For a group that his hell bent on establishing a Caliph they sure did violate every Shria law to establish it ( red flag number 1 )

Rather than a red flag what this shows to any sane person is simple. Islam MUST deny this, MUST fight this.
Fight this Islam, fight this...I mean how can anybody create a caliphate without the blessing of Allah when people are being killed for drawing a picture of Allah?
Right?

I have to Correct you .

How can anyone draw a pic of Allah (god) if we don't know what he "god" looks like .

What I think you are trying to say is "drawing pictures of Muhammad " and he was not god but rather a messenger of god.

and killing over a picture is just senseless. these are actions of extremest

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I'm actually surprised more fundies haven't done this.

I was actually expecting some evangelical person to start their own private crusader army and buy a barge or something and rename it the "Freedom Ship" and sail it to the ME to combat ISIS.

"Bring your own guns, we're going big before we go home!"

I'm dead serious, I'm really, really surprised there hasn't been a call to arms for all these people that claim to love guns and hate ISIS. Where are they? Why haven't they banded together to form a Neo-Crusade?

They're too busy whining about Obama.

I think it would actually be pretty cool (and a smart political move) if the GOP sponsored some sort of militia with the express purpose of helping out the Kurds.

I can't think of very many ways a Republican can possibly get into office in 2016 but cheerleading a move like that could sway even the most hardened disenfranchised voter. We're such suckers for bravado.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

Err NO. I know who the Kurds are. I am aware of them as a people and their struggles to gain self rule and independent territories.

I have no knowledge of ISIS. Who are they. Who funds them. What are their end game goals (I know we are told caliphate etc, but thats what we are TOLD)

The Kurds are defending themselves and their lands, that's why I respect them.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

"Grab yer guns and head to the coast!"

I'm dead serious. Every day I hear people complaining about how we're not doing enough in regards to ISIS. What are these people waiting for?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta
I say this because I am Muslim and I know of many fellow Muslims who went to go fight in Syria against ISIS but now they can't return home because they have been blacklisted as Jihadist .

I don't think anyone gets "blacklisted", but you will be picked up (no matter what your religion or ethnicity) if they suspect you've been fighting for IS.

Even then, they'll sit you down in a room, interrogate you a bit, look through your social media and any photo's you've taken to see if there is any evidence. If you have pictures of you with YPG or Pershmerga, or social media accounts showing the same, they'll let you walk.

At least, that seems to be how the UK is handling it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join