It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Awarded First-Ever Commercial Human Spaceflight Mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
BOEING AWARDED FIRST-EVER COMMERCIAL HUMAN SPACEFLIGHT MISSION

In what is certainly going to make Boeing's stock price rise. Nasa has finally ordered a craft from Boeing.

HOUSTON, May 27, 2015 – NASA issued a task order as part of Boeing’s [NYSE: BA] $4.2 billion Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) contract recently to include the company’s first-ever service flight to the International Space Station. The award marks the first time in human spaceflight history NASA has contracted with a commercial company for a human spaceflight mission.

“This occasion will go in the books of Boeing’s nearly 100 years of aerospace and more than 50 years of space flight history,” said John Elbon, vice president and general manager of Boeing’s Space Exploration division. “We look forward to ushering in a new era in human space exploration.”

Looking over at the cst 100 site.

www.boeing.com...

I don't find the craft all that innovative looking.

Looks just like some of the capsules from the 60's. Anyways I'm sure it's full of the latest and greatest stuff Boeing can build.

edit on Wed May 27 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: ALL CAPS IN TITLE edited

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

$4.2 Billion.

Seems like a stellar investment. Given all the problems that tax payer dollar could go to fix/aid within our world.

Thank you space industry; rob the people, get rich, play with toys that inspect, float around, take pictures of rocks. .

Helped humanity so much.

Flame on science nutters

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Helped humanity so much.

Actually it has.

Go onto youtube and listen to Neil Degrass Tyson rant on about what NASA has provided us. He does a far better job than I could. But if you don't want to.

Most of the nuclear medicine in your local hospital has come from NASA research. 1 example. CAT & MRI machines have incorporated digital image processing. something that was invented to enhance images of the moon back in the 60's.

So you could say. Yes.... it has helped humanity much.

and btw. NASA only gets 1/2 a penny of you tax dollars in funding. we really should be giving them more.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

That's why there is more sick people then ever before.. constantly being patient-customers.

Why most are unhappy and society has more problems then solutions.

Thank god the space industry avoids home issues.

Ignorance is bliss...

Nothing has changed for humanity in the past half century. Same problems, recurring, being ignored. This is the practice of insanity.

I digress... hd photos of sand and rocks. Handful of (wo)men floating around in a craft that costs the equilivent of curing diseases or filling the starvation void.

You will continue to drool over ideas that you will never get to experience.

I will continue to be heartbroken while humanity is used and abused, sick and dying.

Reality verse ideology and fantastical concepts.
edit on 27-5-2015 by Elementalist because: major typos

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I don't find the craft all that innovative looking.

Looks just like some of the capsules from the 60's. Anyways I'm sure it's full of the latest and greatest stuff Boeing can build.

Why reinvent the wheel when its easier and cheaper to apply the KISS principle?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist

Reality verse ideology .

Correct - the reality of you typing your message on computers whose technology was produced by the space program versus your Luddite ideology

Ignorance is bliss...

Yes, you seem to be an EXPERT in ignorance.
Read a book sometime....

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The more deviation from round conical shapes, the more drag which heats the structure to high degrees of inside temperatore.

The Rand Corporation evaluation of NASP in 1993, but the death nail in single stage to orbit goals.

Boeing was ten years late on GPS satellite launch so don't buy your space ticket just yet.
edit on 27-5-2015 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Does a $500,000 or $1,000,000 or $1,500,000 dollar flight equate to being commercial? While this announcement excites me tremendously, it can't really be considered commercial until it costs the price of a plane ticket. When it does, I'll gladly buy ten tickets and consider it the apex of my life.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

$4.2 Billion.

Seems like a stellar investment. Given all the problems that tax payer dollar could go to fix/aid within our world.

Thank you space industry; rob the people, get rich, play with toys that inspect, float around, take pictures of rocks. .

Helped humanity so much.

Flame on science nutters

$4.2 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to our defense budget. If our government can crap that out for bailouts for banks, they can crap it out to fund this program.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz
Yes, you seem to be an EXPERT in ignorance.
Read a book sometime....

From the looks of it, he is reading book just fine, but not science or education one...

As for topic, aren't we bit late, as Russia is doing those commercial flights for some time now...

Everyone with deep enough pocked was already able to go to space... seems like some have already forget...

www.space.com...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
As for topic, aren't we bit late, as Russia is doing those commercial flights for some time now...

I don't think there is a commercial firm in Russia doing human spaceflights.

The Soyuz rockets that send humans up to the ISS are launched by Russia's state-run space agency -- i.e., their version of NASA.

edit on 5/29/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

The Soyuz rockets that send humans up to the ISS are launched by Russia's state-run space agency -- i.e., their version of NASA.

There is difference between private/corporation and state run agencies and term does not cover that difference/change. In my opinion, commercial here means - you pay fee / generate profit out of it - and yes, Russia was and still is generating profit from those flights.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

There is difference between private/corporation and state run agencies and term does not cover that difference/change. In my opinion, commercial here means - you pay fee / generate profit out of it - and yes, Russia was and still is generating profit from those flights.

Well, if that's your definition of "commercial human spaceflight", then so has the United States. Other countries have paid the U.S. in the past to send up its astronauts (and other payloads) in the space shuttle.

And if we are talking non-human payloads, then there has been commercial spaceflights in the U.S. for years -- Orbital Sciences Inc., United Launch Alliance, and SpaceX are commercial firms that have been paid to send commercial satellites into space for several years now.

edit on 5/29/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Sure, but to send tourists - Russia is already doing it, while we have regulations that don't allow it, even if you willing to pay. Space-X is on the way to do this... but not sure would I pay for ticket with them.

I just think that this title is bit misleading...

new topics

top topics

join