It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Jim Carrey been blacklisted?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: johnwick
a reply to: payta

The anti NRA Charlton Heston bitbpretty much sealed his fate.

He got the same treatment as that douche pierce Morgan, or whatever that british twits name was.

Absolutely true. After that BS I decided that I was "blacklisting" this guy!

I dont live in the US, so I had no idea about all that stuff.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I don't know about blacklisted, but he's been boring AF for like 15 yrs now.

Borelisted?

Looked it up, 1998 Truman show was the start of the suck.
Lets be honest that batman movie was no gem either.
edit on 27-5-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

After his string of successes in the 90's he was worried about being typecast because he always wanted to do more than just comedy. While he wasn't bad at the serious stuff people mainly wanted him for comedy, by that point that's what the audience expected of him.

These days I think he just does projects he enjoys, he made a lot of money off of his successful films so he has quite a bit of leeway in choosing which projects he'll work on.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It seems likely to me that the method acting he did in his excellent portrayal of Andy Kauffman in "Man on the Moon" changed his outlook on things and he never really returned to this planet.
Give a guy a break.
As much as my personal opinion matters, I like Jim.
edit on 27-5-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
It seems likely to me that the method acting he did in his excellent portrayal of Andy Kauffman in "Man on the Moon" changed his outlook on things and he never really returned to this planet.
Give a guy a break.

I like his comedy work, but I personally find his more serious roles the ones I like better. Man on the moon, I love you Philip Morris, Eternal sunshine. He was amazing in all of them.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
After taking money for kick ass 2 and then refusing to promote because of the violence why would any major studio want him?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I doubt it's a blacklist.

It's the money.

When an actor gets so successful, they can demand a certain amount to appear in a film. To see a film in the theatre, a single ticket costs almost $10 matinee. For even a moderately sized family, that's a LOT of money. So a movie better be darn good.

Since there are very, very few movies that are that good, Hollywood has to make some compromises to keep their movie budgets down. One of them is to not hire the really expensive actors all that often.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
I can't take anyone seriously who practices a form of meditation (TM is a big part of the program at Maharishi U, obviously) they say can "change the world" if enough people do it...

...yet they won't teach it you if you don't pay them.

"Enlightenment can be yours for the low low price of just $995!"

F# you, Jim.

Yeah, I get what you are saying.

I would say I am an eastern thinker, and have tried and practiced various forms of relevant philosophy, from yogic to Buddhist. I meditate, and recognize its value.

However, having myself experienced a different organization (Art of Living) from India that also charges hundreds of dollars for seminars, I have my questions about such orgs.

Having said that, one could realize that some of these orgs really do give advanced philosophy, meditation, yoga, or lifestyle courses.

Comparing the prices of some of these to other wellness or life seminars (that are similar length, let's say 4-5 days for multiple hours a day), it's not that crazy.

Many multi-day conferences or seminars cost a lot of money.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
I can't take anyone seriously who practices a form of meditation (TM is a big part of the program at Maharishi U, obviously) they say can "change the world" if enough people do it...

...yet they won't teach it you if you don't pay them.

"Enlightenment can be yours for the low low price of just $995!"

F# you, Jim.

I believe that is called "Scientology"...oh wait, there is another pay to plat religion?

Really????

And people believe this garbage???!!!!

Hmm, hold on. Don't confuse the veracity of time-honored ancient meditation practices with the ethics of a new organization (TM) charging a buttload for new students.

All TM is doing is teaching ancient yogic teachings, repackaged for sale and a modern audience.

Meditation is good. Charging tons of money for it is questionable.

This would be like some over-priced personal trainer charging tons of money to rich folks. Just because they overcharge doesn't denigrate the value of exercise and healthy living..

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
dumb and dumber 2 just came out and was huge.

I wouldn't exactly say it was "huge"--while it "only" cost $40,000,000 to produce, it "only" netted $100,000,000 overall. As far as "huge" Hollywood movies go, that's not very high (and not nearly as high as the first one).

Take "The Avengers," for instance--it netted over $1.2Billion dollars. "The Age of Ultron"--about the same.

Sure, they're different genres, but I'm just making the point that D&D To was not a "huge" movie. I love the first one, but was disappointed in the second one.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: payta

originally posted by: skunkape23
Give a guy a break.

I like his comedy work, but I personally find his more serious roles the ones I like better. Man on the moon, I love you Philip Morris, Eternal sunshine. He was amazing in all of them.

Agreed. I actually don't even like his comedy style. Those facial expressions bother me.

However, I think his serious roles are pretty good.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
He has two projects in production currently. I would say that answers your question.

As to why he is no longer in a movie every single time one turns around? Not many folks in the twenty million club have elongated careers these days. Once they have a flop or two their demands no longer make sense and Hollywood moves on.

Will Smith still gets paid.
Johnny Depp as well.

I could dig for more, but some names in Hoolywood seem to be a good bet. Flops can be written off as "loss" and ease what little tax burden the investors and producers had.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
He was "Jane Fonda-ed"....

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Overbearing "home protection enthusiasts" with delusions of grandeur had nothing to do with him slowing down. He's rich and he chooses what he wants to do. Beyond that his comedy gets old fast.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

He has two projects in production currently. I would say that answers your question.

As to why he is no longer in a movie every single time one turns around? Not many folks in the twenty million club have elongated careers these days. Once they have a flop or two their demands no longer make sense and Hollywood moves on.

This. By and large, with some exceptions, he's a one trick pony and you can only go so far with the same shtick--although I loved "Me, Myself, and Irene." Even though the "old Jim Carrey" was in it, it was also clever and innovated and very well done.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
lol at the people who hate him for his anti gun stance..

guy has a different opinion.. so lets all hate him!!!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

I think you're wrong. I know lots of people that never went to see anything Jane Fonda did after her traitorous words....I mean, never ever looked at her again, even to this day. When her face appeared on TV, they changed channels. Her career was never the same. I heard she recently voiced regrets over her actions, but there are people that will never look at her again because of it. She crossed a line....period.

The 2A is like one of the Ten Commandments here in America. Even people that don't own a gun, will stand behind it and support it with a vengeance. You mistakenly call them 'overbearing "home protection enthusiasts" with delusions of grandeur' (cute) but you would be wrong. What Jim Carey did was tantamount to stepping or pissing on the American flag to many people. You may not understand that kind of deeply held conviction, but it is one held by millions, thank goodness!

These "kings" and "queens" of Hollywood are the ones with delusions of grandeur. Their opinions don't matter any more than anyone else's....but tell them that.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

This. By and large, with some exceptions, he's a one trick pony and you can only go so far with the same shtick--although I loved "Me, Myself, and Irene." Even though the "old Jim Carrey" was in it, it was also clever and innovated and very well done.

When your most memorable role you talked out your ass...

Your talent has played out.

My brother and I actually gave him a ride home from The Comedy Store in 82.

He's a nice guy. I really wished he never opened his mouth about Guns.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

The anti NRA Charlton Heston bitbpretty much sealed his fate.

He got the same treatment as that douche pierce Morgan, or whatever that british twits name was.

I had never heard of this until just now. Watched the Funny or Die video,and I've got to be honest.....that was pretty funny.

It got even more ridiculous when I saw the accompanying videos on Youtube of Fox News,Alex Jones,and Ted Nugent condemning him for it. Please....the break in the middle of the song where he stops as Sam Elliott and says "Social Satire" says it all.

It's no wonder our funniest comedians are going low profile. The next thing you know you won't be able to make fun of Lincoln's beard or Richard Nixon's outright trollfullness because they're dead. People need to stop whining and learn to laugh at life again.

-HLF

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: romilo

Or maybe just MAYBE the actors in question lose the magic that made them relateable to the masses and they stop supporting the actors. Damn, not everyone pisses gold when they go to the bathroom...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join